This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: North Dakota is Still the Worst

My resolution is insofar as the court can levy a fine on a convict then no convict loses the right to vote ever, because while the former may not be unconstitutional the former plus the latter is.

I like the idea of convicts voting if only because it stops Podunk State from choosing to build prisons instead of taxing their rich residents. Tennessee doesn't want 50k angry black people voting in their primaries.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I'm bothered by the fact that we have American citizens who aren't allowed to vote. Do we really want to get into "All American citizens are allowed to vote, except for..."? I'd rather stick with a "All American citizens are allowed to vote" full stop.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If they served their time they should vote. If they are still locked up then no.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I don't understand how giving serial killers the right to vote became the cause celebre of the left, but it needs to end and end quickly. We can all admire Bernie and his purity, right up until the Republicans run an ad about how he's advocating for child killers and terrorists getting the right to vote. Really, we need not go there. Some people have lost their freedom due to heinous acts. They should also lose their right to vote at the same time.

I'm fully on board with people who've served their time having their voting rights restored. Lets not muck up the issue with a nonsensical extreme position.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

It’s almost like the vast majority of people in prison didn’t do any of those things :shock:
            Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            The more I think about this, the more I'm bothered by the fact that we have American citizens who aren't allowed to vote. Do we really want to get into "All American citizens are allowed to vote, except for..."? I'd rather stick with a "All American citizens are allowed to vote" full stop.
            Especially if they’re being counted in the census for representation purposes.

Also if we’re afraid of disingenuous right wing attacks just fold the ****ing party.
            Last edited by trixR4kids; 05-03-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              I don't understand how giving serial killers the right to vote became the cause celebre of the left, but it needs to end and end quickly. We can all admire Bernie and his purity, right up until the Republicans run an ad about how he's advocating for child killers and terrorists getting the right to vote. Really, we need not go there. Some people have lost their freedom due to heinous acts. They should also lose their right to vote at the same time.

I'm fully on board with people who've served their time having their voting rights restored. Lets not muck up the issue with a nonsensical extreme position.
              It really only came to be a thing at all because some girl asked Bernie and went Willie Horton with her example. Unfortunately, it's a very memeable stance. I've already seen one that said "This man raped and killed your mom. He can vote, she can't."

At the same time, Bernie's stance on the issue is literally what's happening in Florida. Keep chipping away at who is an eligible voter, even after the citizens decide who they believe should be eligible.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Restoring the voting rights of people who served their term should be certainly on the platform. I’m not sure where it should fall in priorities, but I’m not sure putting it on the top five or even ten is a winning strategy. Win, then enact the proper reforms.

Regarding voting rights to all, it’s not a priority for me at all. I get it’s a ridiculously heavy lift but the idea of an “except for...” after a voting rights statement is too easily abused by the knuckledraggers. Disenfranchisement was used pretty effectively back in the day, and present day to be honest, to prevent minorities from voting.

It’s just too dangerous a weapon and I don’t trust us to wield it properly.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It appears sometimes that Bernie wants to influence where the car goes but does not have a deep hunger to drive. And that may be a good thing. It's that hunger that brings out the monster.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    It’s almost like the vast majority of people in prison didn’t do any of those things :shock:Especially if they’re being counted in the census for representation purposes.

Also if we’re afraid of disingenuous right wing attacks just fold the ****ing party.
                    Sorry but we cant assume they are innocent just because we want to. if they were convicted and are locked up they lose the right to vote. Period. To say otherwise is ludicrous.

When they get out they should have the right restored that day but until then losing the right to vote is part of the punishment.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Restoring the voting rights of people who served their term should be certainly on the platform. I’m not sure where it should fall in priorities, but I’m not sure putting it on the top five or even ten is a winning strategy. Win, then enact the proper reforms.

Regarding voting rights to all, it’s not a priority for me at all. I get it’s a ridiculously heavy lift but the idea of an “except for...” after a voting rights statement is too easily abused by the knuckledraggers. Disenfranchisement was used pretty effectively back in the day, and present day to be honest, to prevent minorities from voting.

It’s just too dangerous a weapon and I don’t trust us to wield it properly.
                      You are correct unless the "but for" is "but for the people who are locked up". They are being separated from the population their rights are limited.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Careful with your straw, scarecrow. It's flammable.

You realize plenty of people are in prison for crimes that are more hysterical than heinous, and many are there because they were wrong place, wrong color? 1.4 million of the 2.2 million prisoners in the US are there for non-violent offenses, including 400,000 for drug offenses.

If I understand you correctly we should defend rights unless it's possible for the other side, or you, to mislead people about it. Remind me not to name you to the ACLU.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 05-04-2019, 12:50 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

this will require an amendment to the bill of rights, no? that's how the federal goverment needs authorization to usurp state's rights. especially if a 'law' will mandate suffrage for state elections
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I think there's something odd about saying that incarcerated felons shouldn't be allowed to vote, but should have their voting rights restored the day they get out of jail. I don't have data at hand to back up my thoughts here, but isn't a poor person quite a bit more likely to be charged with a crime than a wealthy person? And isn't that poor person less likely to be able to procure a good enough attorney to have a realistic chance of fighting the charges? And I don't know whether there even is data, but I've got a funny hunch that a poor person is less likely to get a suspended sentence than a wealthy person, as well as quite possibly less likely to be granted parole at a parole hearing. And really, if even one of those things is true, then stripping incarcerated prisoners of suffrage and restoring them the day they get out of prison seems like an unfairly greater burden on the poor.

Honestly, I'm not sure I have an opinion. I don't think I have a particular issue with stripping suffrage from prisoners, but I also think that if you do that, in order to be fair, it needs to apply to convicted felons serving parole and suspended sentences and similar as well.

And frankly, I'm not sure that I understand why allowing prisoners to vote is so crazy.

As for fines, taking away someone's suffrage because they can't pay a fine is some serious bs.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post

As for fines, taking away someone's suffrage because they can't pay a fine is some serious bs.
                              can we do anyone in debt? carries debt?!?
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                                I think there's something odd about saying that incarcerated felons shouldn't be allowed to vote, but should have their voting rights restored the day they get out of jail. I don't have data at hand to back up my thoughts here, but isn't a poor person quite a bit more likely to be charged with a crime than a wealthy person? And isn't that poor person less likely to be able to procure a good enough attorney to have a realistic chance of fighting the charges? And I don't know whether there even is data, but I've got a funny hunch that a poor person is less likely to get a suspended sentence than a wealthy person, as well as quite possibly less likely to be granted parole at a parole hearing. And really, if even one of those things is true, then stripping incarcerated prisoners of suffrage and restoring them the day they get out of prison seems like an unfairly greater burden on the poor.

Honestly, I'm not sure I have an opinion. I don't think I have a particular issue with stripping suffrage from prisoners, but I also think that if you do that, in order to be fair, it needs to apply to convicted felons serving parole and suspended sentences and similar as well.

And frankly, I'm not sure that I understand why allowing prisoners to vote is so crazy.

It’s almost like someone – I don’t know, maybe the rich – created a system whose sole intent was to disenfranchise poor and minorities. Just spitballing here.

Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X