Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Unified Election Thread 2: What is the difference between Biden and Dump?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Goopers are in a ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't situation in regards to Chump. He's certainly good for Dem turnout, but there's nobody else on the right who would have won 74 million votes for Republicans. Not a corporate stiff like Kasich or Jebbers! Not beltway pundit darling Nikki Haley. Not Chump's idiot kids. Nobody can be reasonably expected to keep up that cult like following. Will be interesting, and not necessarily in a good way, to see where this goes.
    I don't think there would have had to be 74 million of them turn out because without Trump as part of this process, Biden or whoever on the Dem side wouldn't have gotten 85 million. I just don't think the need or desire for massive turnout would have been there on either side.

Comment

• Im surprised they are waiting till afternoon to do the EC count. With objections this process could take upwards of 15 hours.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Gabriel Sterling (R), Georgia Secretary of State.
        brad raffensperger is the Georgia Secretary of State.

Gabriel Sterling works for the SoS office and is "Voting Systems Implementation Manager" (and according to Linked in, now also COO/CFO of the office of the Secretary of State)

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

brad raffensperger is the Georgia Secretary of State.

Gabriel Sterling works for the SoS office and is "Voting Systems Implementation Manager" (and according to Linked in, now also COO/CFO of the office of the Secretary of State)
          Thanks for the correction. I was just going by the graphic on TV.

In any event, Cleveland Rocks!
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Im surprised they are waiting till afternoon to do the EC count. With objections this process could take upwards of 15 hours.
            It could take 50 hours, if they object to every state Biden won.

It could take 100, if they object to every state.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Fixing the Senate means adding DC, maybe PR,
              Adding DC isn't going to happen. Too hard to address the 23rd amendment. PR would have been possible given the November 2020 referendum results (both democrat and republican platforms have included PR statehood, if PR votes for it, in recent history) but Trump's hatred for PR that has probably rubbed off onto the GOP at large and there are only 2 current GOP senators are on record for supporting statehood (I was wrong about the Zodiac Killer, he isn't on board). The Trump sycophants will oppose and Turtle Boy will filibuster.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                I gave Warnock a 50% chance and Ossoff a 10% to win. Good thing I don’t do that for a living. It made intuitive sense for Warnock to win more votes than Ossoff, but not significantly more votes to where Ossoff was this safe too.
                You were right to view Warnock as a better bid than Ossoff. He won by at least 2x as big a margin.

I believe your odds were perfect for the day after the general election. Then Dump did his thang, and Loeffler was Extreme Loeffler, and Perdue's criminality became more and more obvious.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Adding DC isn't going to happen. Too hard to address the 23rd amendment.
                  That's not a problem at all. We redefine DC to be the Mall and the major political buildings. Make the rest a new state, named of course Obama. Easy peasy.

The actual problem is Hamilton's:

Get past that (no small task) and there is no procedural problem.
                  Cornell University

Comment

That's not a problem at all. We redefine DC to be the Mall and the major political buildings. Make the rest a new state. Easy peasy.

The actual problem is Hamilton's:

Get past that (no small task) and there is no procedural problem.
                    Per the 23rd amendment, the district would still be entitled to 3 electoral votes. I'm assuming the only residents would be the occupants of the White House. Nothing would stop one or more members of the presidential household declaring the district as their residence for voter registration purposes, right?

Comment

• It would be kind of hilarious if dems objected to all trump states just to waste time. But they dont want to be there for 4 days either.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

I think the Filibuster gets retired in the next couple years.

As to Peurto Rico, the island vacillates between wanting to become a state or breaking away from the US entirely. I don't really know which would be better for them.
                        Having close ties to Puerto Rico- just want to comment on that- they are not vacillating between statehood and independence- they vacillate between statehood and status quo- which is a associated state to the US, meaning they don't get the economic benefit of being a state, but they get international recognition separate from the US in many aspects.

If we get rid of the rather protective shipping acts, so that Puerto Rico can directly trade with the entire region, they would be MUCH better off, and probably would just keep the status. As it is, they will sacrifice having a Miss Universe and an Olympic team to get the economy back on track. (and yes, those are really huge deals). Their individual culture is a very, very, very big deal.

What really messes up the equation are the Puerto Rican who live in the main US, get the benefits of being represented, etc- but want to keep PR the status quo. I have more than one friend who is that.

That being said, I think they will want to become a state. The laws that are specifically holding them back is making it impossible- like much of the federal payments have been fixed (not adjusted for inflation) since the 80s. It's a pretty unsustainable position for those who can't leave the island. And it's a major reason we have no plans on retiring there.

edit- BTW, the fear of Puerto Rico by the R's is self inflicted based on their racial hate. Seeing who runs the island, they are roughly 50% liberal and 50% conservative. Just like the mainland. For the very near future, until the racists are purged from the party, they will never get support in PR. But if the racist ever figure that out, they can get a lot of the minorities.
                        Last edited by MichVandal; 01-06-2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Per the 23rd amendment, the district would still be entitled to 3 electoral votes. I'm assuming the only residents would be the occupants of the White House. Nothing would stop one or more members of the presidential household declaring the district as their residence for voter registration purposes, right?
                          I hadn't thought of that. We would have to make DC have legally zero population.

Or give those 3 EV to Dave Chapelle, Stephen Colbert, and Duke Ellington.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• It's not a problem unless you don't want to give the occupants of the White House the same influence in the presidential election as the state of Vermont:

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...2019_final.pdf

Third, H.R. 51/S. 631 is not at odds with Twenty-Third Amendment, which provides the District with three electoral votes. While the Twenty-Third Amendment raises important policy considerations (e.g., the provision of three electoral votes to a small number of residents in the remaining District, including the President and their family), it does not render H.R. 51/S. 631 unconstitutional, as it prescribes neither a particular form nor population for the District.
                            Last edited by BassAle; 01-06-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• The best part about taking the Senate, is we no longer have to fight a nebulous "Republican" monster when trying to club people with bills. We can now force them to put their names to votes and pick them off one by one.

$2,000 checks. Make Murkowski, Johnson, Rubio, Grassley, Burr, and Scott explain why their constituents didn't deserve checks but tax cuts for trillion-dollar companies and billionaires were ok.
                              $15 min wage. Make them defend not giving a raise to their constituents while they give away cash to billionaires.
                              Legalized marijuana.
                              John Lewis VRA - Have fun with this Burr and Scott
                              Student loan forgiveness
                              ERA - Good luck to Murkowski on this one.

The list goes on. Pick them off, one by one, and all of a sudden, 2022 becomes fairly enticing to start ramming through the heavy stuff.

Edit, nm on Burr, he's retiring too.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. We would have to make DC have legally zero population.
                                I guess it would probably be easier to just split off a new state (since creating a new state is easier than amending the constitution), and then there probably would be overwhelming support to amend the constitution to take away the three electoral votes from the occupants of the Whitehouse.

Comment

Working...
                                X