Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Unified Election Thread 2: What is the difference between Biden and Dump?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Yeah, exactly, you talked about action, when all Trump did is talk.
    Yeah, right. None of us care a whit that he installed unqualified ideologues to federal judge/justiceships with lifetime appointments, eviscerated environmental protections, destroyed relationships with key allies, fiddled while COVID burned, dismantled the US intelligence and security apparatus, withdrew from key international treaties and accords, shattered families of asylum seekers, promoted racism and anti-factualism, rolled back regulations to protect the working class, transferred trillions in wealth to the top 1% in the form of regressive tax cuts, etc.

We're all just annoyed that he rage tweeted at 3 am.

Yeah, that's a good theory.

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Trump appointee going hysterical

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricColum...25945984819202

Comment

• The fact that too many republicans in places where they could have a say and hold things up are NOT coming out and saying trump is full of it, Biden won the election, its all over but the formalities, is blaring like a klaxon alarm to me.

If the inevitable is trump is going to run out of options and lawsuits in plenty of time for an orderly transition, what are they waiting for? I don't know if it will work, but I am willing to bet republicans in enough states are going to attempt to throw their electors at trump despite Biden winning. There's no legal basis for it, no precedence they can point to, no evidence whatsoever that it is called for.

But there WAS evidence trump committed illegal and impeachable offenses and when the republicans had the chance to do something about that, they IGNORED ALL OF IT. If they ignore all real evidence and all actual reasons to act, what makes any person with functional brain cells left think they will need any actual reasons to do what they are doing now? And don't give me any of that horse5h!t that republicans in all 3 of MI, WI and PA have gone on record saying they will support the winner of the popular vote in their states and do nothing to prevent the proper electors from being sent to vote. Their word is worth less than the dirt on my shoes.

At some point this chaos will push too far to be stopped. I don't think we're there today. I do think though this is like a train and a train is very hard to stop. Once it gets going fast enough it CAN'T be stopped until it has done immeasurable damage. I don't think we've more than a few days left to stop it.

Comment

• It isn’t funny and it’s not inconsequential

https://mobile.twitter.com/JesseLehr...27892536160256

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Just pull all the red states' federal funding and inundate them with meth and opiates. We'll win any lame war they try to start in weeks without firing a shot.
            I’m actually very in favor of this.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              It isn’t funny and it’s not inconsequential

C'mon, you guys are all smart, I know that. Do you really think this gambit will work?

Sure, it's disconcerting to see someone try it. But think of it as a stress test on the US electoral system. What we are witnessing right now is the system working. We have a guy who would love to be a Putin style "elected" dictator who never loses an election. He is threatening, cajoling, maybe even bribing for all I know, every single bureaucrat he can get his hands on to try to get himself declared the winner. Zero success. Nothing. All he is doing is creating this great body of caselaw that will be used in future generations to fight similar efforts.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

C'mon, you guys are all smart, I know that. Do you really think this gambit will work?

Sure, it's disconcerting to see someone try it. But think of it as a stress test on the US electoral system. What we are witnessing right now is the system working. We have a guy who would love to be a Putin style "elected" dictator who never loses an election. He is threatening, cajoling, maybe even bribing for all I know, every single bureaucrat he can get his hands on to try to get himself declared the winner. Zero success. Nothing. All he is doing is creating this great body of caselaw that will be used in future generations to fight similar efforts.

holy ****, you’re ****ing dense. None of us have said we think this will “work”. It’s still doing irreversible damage to our country.

the majority of republicans now think Joe Biden literally stole the election and is illegitimate. No doubt some of them will resort to violence.

Comment

It isn’t funny and it’s not inconsequential

And this is why the train must be stopped NOW. Once you have a critical mass of legislators who are primed to do this, it will be too late.

Our democracy exists in large part because up until now, most people wanted it to work, and that most was a large majority. But that is no longer true. The vast majority of republicans are willing to bust norms to see trump remain president. The vast majority of republicans will do nothing if state legislators decide to ignore the will of voters in states like WI or MI, or anywhere else they need to.

There is no inherent physical mechanism that propels our democracy forward. It isn't as if the levers of power are actual levers that must move in specified directions. Despite the fact the constitution is in writing and we've followed its charges for well over 200 years now when it comes to electing -- or selecting -- a president, it won't go against the physical properties of the universe if lawmakers DON'T adhere to it. Sometimes those who think some of us are suffering from TDS, or we're getting too hysterical when all they see is stupid talk from these would-be fascists seem to believe that our laws and rules CAN'T be broken simply because up until now, we've more or less followed the rules and laws.

trump is a pawn, a tool, just like his rubes and dupes. The very people who are subverting our democracy could just as easily tell trump to go fvck himself. That they aren't should tell you something.

7 days ago I posted that I figured trump had about 10 more days in him before he finally just slinked away. I don't think that anymore. I have a feeling in about 2 more months a lot of us are going to be wishing for the day when COVID was the biggest news going.

Comment

Holy fvcking 5h!T. Now I KNOW we're doomed. I mean if this kind of behavior is disconcerting and all...

Comment

I think you're wrong. In fact, I think an argument can even be made that having had to live through a Trump presidency has actually in many ways strengthened the country, and democracy in it. More people have become engaged in the political process. A broader cross-section of races, gender preferences, religions have gotten involved and have run for (and been elected to) office, all in response to Trump. The news media has expanded into different mediums, and has been much less likely to accept the "official" explanation of things, much more likely to be openly critical or even contemptuous.

We aren't any closer to an authoritarian, fascist dictatorship today than we were four years ago, and candidly it would be even harder to establish one now than it ever was before, largely due to the response to the Trump presidency.
                      And half of that country is a hair's breadth away from taking to the streets with their guns to fight the next Civil War.

But you don't see that. Cause to do so means to recognize your complicitness in furthering that along.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

His whole party is politely turning their head. His 70 million morons are frothing at the mouth with conspiracy theories.

There's nothing magic about a society and a polity. We nourish them with good will and good information, or we poison them with lunatic garbage and gun fondler fantasies.

Your f-cking side is destroying the national spirit of Americans as Americans and either ignoring or actively supporting an actual, in real time, fascist attempt to end our democracy. You can't just do your stupendously patronizing "calm down you Chicken Littles!" drag act on this. Whether you actually believe it or it's your way of trying to avoid your responsibility for supporting these f-cks, nobody else is buying it.

Lie down with Nazis, get up at Nuremberg.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

holy ****, you’re ****ing dense. None of us have said we think this will “work”. It’s still doing irreversible damage to our country.

the majority of republicans now think Joe Biden literally stole the election and is illegitimate. No doubt some of them will resort to violence.
                          There are plenty of Rs who want a civil war. Why people don’t think riling up your base to demonize everyone who lives in a city is not a big deal- well, it’s spoken by azzholes who would **** down their leg once white conservatives realize they’re not gonna be in the majority

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I’m actually very in favor of this.
                            Seriously. It would solve lots of issues

Comment

• It's funny. He wasn't lying when he said he could shoot someone on 5th Ave.

Little did we know it was democracy.
                              Code:
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Seriously. It would solve lots of issues
                                Anyone know Walz's phone number? I'm an engineer and a chemist. I'll put Walter White to shame.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X