Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Unified Election Thread 2: What is the difference between Biden and Dump?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • As someone else noted, it is easy to let our biases get in the way of processing we know and what we just suspect, but I 100% believe that the ease with which the protesters were able to storm the Capitol building was because some of the people hired to protect the people there doing their constitutional duties were complicit. I think this probably goes a little beyond the fact the insurgents were all white versus the diversity of the typical protests we saw this summer. That would be too easy and convenient an explanation. I know generally Occam's razor is the smart way to go but the optics of this episode of "How incompetent and/or racists can the cops be today?" just smells very bad. Count me among those who will be very surprised if January 20th comes and goes smoothly.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

      It's not up to them. It's up to the prosecutor's office. Like Wayupthere stated, this is a very common tactic used for far less crimes. Go study how the criminal justice system works these days. The basic ploy is to slap as many charges against someone arrested as they can come up with, even for a simple bar fight. That gives the DA office plenty of room to plea bargain with the defense, who is stuck either accepting something or risk their client -- many of whom can't afford better counsel for drawn out cases -- going to a jury trail with all the charges weighing over their heads. It's a risk the DA knows 99% of the accused will never accept. Thus, the scales of justice are greatly swung in the favor of the prosecutor.

      This strategy also provides the DA office with excellent stats when it comes to showing the public, who are going to vote for these DA officials, how tough they are on crime. Thus, there is a huge incentive never to change this policy.

      The downside is society pays for this. We end up with a slew of people with "minor" crimes forever having the label of felon on them, thus having more difficulty finding a job, and thus takes them out of the taxpayer pool and into the welfare pool. And, we have a massive jail population again for "minor" crimes, which again takes people out of the taxpayer pool and into the jail subsidized pool which costs taxpayers way more money than it costs taxpayers for welfare support. Yet, the public loves to jail people instead of educating them...
      That's not how it works federally. US Attorneys don't file shiat unless they're 99.9% confident they can convict.

      Comment


      • I know it's written somewhere that transfer of power happens on January 20th. Is there a specific time? Because to be honest, I would love it if Biden and Harris were inaugurated in a bunker somewhere at 12:01am on the 20th.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I know it's written somewhere that transfer of power happens on January 20th. Is there a specific time? Because to be honest, I would love it if Biden and Harris were inaugurated in a bunker somewhere at 12:01am on the 20th.
          I believe it happens at Noon.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

          Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

          Comment


          • Lovely, Manchin says he’s against 2k checks.

            That was a nice, what, four hours between Ossoff being the apparent winner and the siege to enjoy how things could maybe be good again?
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

            1966, 1986, 2007

            Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Lovely, Manchin says he’s against 2k checks.

              That was a nice, what, four hours between Ossoff being the apparent winner and the siege to enjoy how things could maybe be good again?
              In 12 days Manchin will have no more say in national economic policy than Dua Lipa.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                In 12 days Manchin will have no more say in national economic policy than Dua Lipa.
                So how do they pass things without him? Hope Romney goes rogue?
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                1966, 1986, 2007

                Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                Comment


                • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

                  Unless the video has been altered, there are images of at least one cop directing people on where to go when charging the Capitol Building. Add that to the office who was taking selfies with rioters in the building, and I think it's a fair question to investigate.
                  Definitely agree - those officers need to be fired at least, and prosecuted if possible. This was an armed insurrection and needs to be stamped out of existence. Congressional conspirators must be censured or expelled. This wasn't a civil disagreement, or an objection on principle like in previous instances of electoral objections. This was sedition.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    Lovely, Manchin says he’s against 2k checks.

                    That was a nice, what, four hours between Ossoff being the apparent winner and the siege to enjoy how things could maybe be good again?
                    they'll be at least one Republican that supports them

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bronconick View Post

                      If you believe that, you need to impeach immediately. Like as in 3pm today. If you're talking about Monday or next week, you're grandstanding.
                      impeachment isn't intended to be a fast process. Today they'll likely notify members that they need to come back for a vote. Once the house passes it, without hearings, McConnell will probably run out the clock in the senate.

                      Pence needs to get his balls out of Mother's purse and do something.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BassAle View Post

                        they'll be at least one Republican that supports them
                        I guess I’m using the checks as a bellwether. If he’s not even willing to do this, which is popular everywhere, and would be especially beneficial for WV and all their economic stats, then what will the Dems actually be able to do?
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                        1966, 1986, 2007

                        Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          As someone else noted, it is easy to let our biases get in the way of processing we know and what we just suspect, but I 100% believe that the ease with which the protesters were able to storm the Capitol building was because some of the people hired to protect the people there doing their constitutional duties were complicit. I think this probably goes a little beyond the fact the insurgents were all white versus the diversity of the typical protests we saw this summer. That would be too easy and convenient an explanation. I know generally Occam's razor is the smart way to go but the optics of this episode of "How incompetent and/or racists can the cops be today?" just smells very bad. Count me among those who will be very surprised if January 20th comes and goes smoothly.
                          Can’t find it now, but I saw a tweet to the effect of, “As a screenwriter, I’ve had to come up with lots of elaborate ways that terrorists can take over buildings. Who knew I could just have them walk in the front door?”

                          followed up with, “I now believe that Nicholas Cage really could steal the US Constitution.”
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

                            So how do they pass things without him?
                            Same way legislatures have passed things since Athens.


                            Fig. 117 The world's greatest deliberative body



                            That was Manchin's declaration that he can afford to hold out for goodies. Chuck is going to have to come through, whether that means repaving all of West Virginia with crap named after Manchin instead of Byrd or, less expensively, with the traditional unmarked bundle of bills laundered through the ahem election fund.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 01-08-2021, 02:36 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Can’t find it now, but I saw a tweet to the effect of, “As a screenwriter, I’ve had to come up with lots of elaborate ways that terrorists can take over buildings. Who knew I could just have them walk in the front door?”

                              followed up with, “I now believe that Nicholas Cage really could steal the US Constitution.”
                              Screenwriter for Designated Survivor Tweeted similar.
                              https://twitter.com/DBGuggenheim/sta...60506825789440

                              Executive Producer for the show also asked for a public apology for every note passed along (I assume for things being 'implausible').
                              https://twitter.com/adityasood/statu...66713900797952
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                              Live Radio from 100.3

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                                In 12 days Manchin will have no more say in national economic policy than Dua Lipa.
                                Hey it’s not like west Virginians need any financial help

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X