Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Unified Election Thread 2: What is the difference between Biden and Dump?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrick Garland for AG.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      The best part about taking the Senate, is we no longer have to fight a nebulous "Republican" monster when trying to club people with bills. We can now force them to put their names to votes and pick them off one by one.
      Good point. The way the Nazis got their way before was imply not to bring things to the floor. Welp, now there will be bills. And votes. So fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Republicans!
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Per the 23rd amendment, the district would still be entitled to 3 electoral votes. I'm assuming the only residents would be the occupants of the White House. Nothing would stop one or more members of the presidential household declaring the district as their residence for voter registration purposes, right?
        So, they at least get a pair of Senators and that's fine.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Having close ties to Puerto Rico- just want to comment on that- they are not vacillating between statehood and independence- they vacillate between statehood and status quo- which is a associated state to the US, meaning they don't get the economic benefit of being a state, but they get international recognition separate from the US in many aspects.

If we get rid of the rather protective shipping acts, so that Puerto Rico can directly trade with the entire region, they would be MUCH better off, and probably would just keep the status. As it is, they will sacrifice having a Miss Universe and an Olympic team to get the economy back on track. (and yes, those are really huge deals). Their individual culture is a very, very, very big deal.

What really messes up the equation are the Puerto Rican who live in the main US, get the benefits of being represented, etc- but want to keep PR the status quo. I have more than one friend who is that.

That being said, I think they will want to become a state. The laws that are specifically holding them back is making it impossible- like much of the federal payments have been fixed (not adjusted for inflation) since the 80s. It's a pretty unsustainable position for those who can't leave the island. And it's a major reason we have no plans on retiring there.

edit- BTW, the fear of Puerto Rico by the R's is self inflicted based on their racial hate. Seeing who runs the island, they are roughly 50% liberal and 50% conservative. Just like the mainland. For the very near future, until the racists are purged from the party, they will never get support in PR. But if the racist ever figure that out, they can get a lot of the minorities.
          You certainly know about the whole situation much more than I do. It looks like in 2020 they voted in favor of statehood, 52.34% in favor, about a 57k vote margin. I recall another recent vote in favor, so it appears this question comes up a lot in their local politics. Given the history, and I forget his name, but back in the 50s (I think) they had a political leader who was arrested because he had built a very large movement towards complete independence from the US. I thought an undercurrent of that movement continued to this day. There's a chapter or two dedicated to Puerto Rican history in the book "How to Hide an Empire" by Daniel Immerwahr. The book covers how the US has always been an empire, and how our politicians have hidden that fact from the population's minds ever since we started our westward expansion to incorporate the contiguous 48.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

You certainly know about the whole situation much more than I do. It looks like in 2020 they voted in favor of statehood, 52.34% in favor, about a 57k vote margin. I recall another recent vote in favor, so it appears this question comes up a lot in their local politics. Given the history, and I forget his name, but back in the 50s (I think) they had a political leader who was arrested because he had built a very large movement towards complete independence from the US. I thought an undercurrent of that movement continued to this day. There's a chapter or two dedicated to Puerto Rican history in the book "How to Hide an Empire" by Daniel Immerwahr. The book covers how the US has always been an empire, and how our politicians have hidden that fact from the population's minds ever since we started our westward expansion to incorporate the contiguous 48.
            They were trying to hide it? They must really suck at it...

Being serious, thanks for the book recommendation
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I am going to enjoy the Civil War that is going to happen in the GOP after Biden takes office. It's going to be wonderful.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The best part about taking the Senate, is we no longer have to fight a nebulous "Republican" monster when trying to club people with bills. We can now force them to put their names to votes and pick them off one by one.

$2,000 checks. Make Murkowski, Johnson, Rubio, Grassley, Burr, and Scott explain why their constituents didn't deserve checks but tax cuts for trillion-dollar companies and billionaires were ok.
                $15 min wage. Make them defend not giving a raise to their constituents while they give away cash to billionaires.
                Legalized marijuana.
                John Lewis VRA - Have fun with this Burr and Scott
                Student loan forgiveness
                ERA - Good luck to Murkowski on this one.

The list goes on. Pick them off, one by one, and all of a sudden, 2022 becomes fairly enticing to start ramming through the heavy stuff.

Edit, nm on Burr, he's retiring too.
                Federal judicial nominee approvals. How long has it been?
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

So, they at least get a pair of Senators and that's fine.
                  The new state will get two senators and three electoral votes (based on the population of the new state). The remaining federal district will still have its 3 electoral votes as prescribed by the 23rd amendment -- effectively giving the occupants of the White House the same say in the electoral college as a small state. Some would consider that a problem with the statehood plan that was previously passed by the house.

Comment

The new state will get two senators and three electoral votes (based on the population of the new state). The remaining federal district will still have its 3 electoral votes as prescribed by the 23rd amendment -- effectively giving the occupants of the White House the same say in the electoral college as a small state.
                    It would require the White House occupants to register as D.C. residents, correct? Not that they wouldn't do so (they'd be foolish not to).
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Schumer definitely has a little pep in his step today.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Joint Session beginning now.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• And Pelosi begins by reminding the Republicans of the social distancing rules...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The new state will get two senators and three electoral votes (based on the population of the new state). The remaining federal district will still have its 3 electoral votes as prescribed by the 23rd amendment -- effectively giving the occupants of the White House the same say in the electoral college as a small state. Some would consider that a problem with the statehood plan that was previously passed by the house.
                            Yeah, gotcha. No bueno. I didn't fully grasp that, obviously.
                            \

Holy ****, Nancy is kicking *** and taking names.
                            Code:

Comment

• They haven’t even begun and it’s already a s- show...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

It would require the White House occupants to register as D.C. residents, correct? Not that they wouldn't do so (they'd be foolish not to).
                                That would, by default, make the FLOTUS, and any adult children over the age of 25 for the House, and 30 for the Senate, who'd be willing to relocate their lives into the White House. Can anybody other than the POTUS's family take up residence there? How would they fill those seats if the POTUS has a small family, not enough children old enough to serve (see: Presidents Clinton, GWB, and Obama)?

Comment

Working...
                                X