• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alfablue
    replied
    Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Not a home phone, if that's what you mean. I only have a cell phone. Back when I did have both a cell and land line, the land line was never used. Why keep it?
    We keep it more for history- had it before the internet existed- so many people know it, well. And it does not cost much.

But I get the point of cutting it if we lose cable and whatnot.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Do you have phone? We are old timers that still have a very well used land line number....
    Not a home phone, if that's what you mean. I only have a cell phone. Back when I did have both a cell and land line, the land line was never used. Why keep it?

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

When I originally ditched cable TV, I was paying to Charter $160/month for TV and internet. After cutting the cord, I then was paying $60 to Charter for internet, then added Netflix and Hulu subscriptions, along with HBO's streaming service. So I was saving about $60/month. I've no idea what it costs for Cable TV today in my area, but my Netflix prices have rose $3 since then, Hulu has gone down $2, and HBO has stayed flat.
    Do you have phone? We are old timers that still have a very well used land line number....

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Before talking about what streaming service you get...

What internet do you plan on keeping? While the TV cable is being cut, the actual communication cable has to be there. Unless you have a great mobile service that allows a ton of streaming.

Given that all of the internet providers are also TV providers, are there good deals out there for internet so that the total price is less than the whole package?
    When I originally ditched cable TV, I was paying to Charter $160/month for TV and internet. After cutting the cord, I then was paying $60 to Charter for internet, then added Netflix and Hulu subscriptions, along with HBO's streaming service. So I was saving about $60/month. I've no idea what it costs for Cable TV today in my area, but my Netflix prices have rose $3 since then, Hulu has gone down $2, and HBO has stayed flat.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Before talking about what streaming service you get...

What internet do you plan on keeping? While the TV cable is being cut, the actual communication cable has to be there. Unless you have a great mobile service that allows a ton of streaming.

Given that all of the internet providers are also TV providers, are there good deals out there for internet so that the total price is less than the whole package?

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied

Youtube TV carries several RSNs, and has been my cable-replacement for about 9 months now. I have Netflix and my girlfriend has Prime as well. We sign up for HBO/Showtime/insert premium here when a show we're interested in is on, then cancel when it's over.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Disney is also rumored to be making their own streaming platform for everything in the House of Mouse (not sure what that will do to Hulu...)
    That's not a rumor, Disney has publicly discussed it. They bought Fox to add specific content to their service. At the same time, they're not abandoning Hulu, but it's a matter of what content on it will look like. My suspicion is that they'll likely keep some content on that service that they don't necessarily want closely tied with their own family-friendly product (think: Deadpool).

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

subscribed

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Disney is also rumored to be making their own streaming platform for everything in the House of Mouse (not sure what that will do to Hulu...)

Joe, if you're a local MLB/NHL fan, your options are going to be limited as I believe (and others can correct me) Sling/Hulu locals dont offer the regional sports nets.

Out of market streaming is the best it's ever been with MLB.tv and NHL.tv. NHL is a little more restrictive, with local team, playoffs, and all national broadcasts (NHLNet/NBCSN/NBC) blacked out (NBC/NBCSN streams in the NBC app with Cable Co login). MLB only blacks out local market, ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, HR Derby, All Star Game, and postseason games. (And maybe whatever your local FOX Saturday game is, but I cant remember)

Obviously if/when you go streaming more, you're going to have to have a good internet package, and sometimes bundling a fast internet and basic TV package is cheaper than internet only.

I have a middle-ish TV package which included HBO, 150+ Mbps internet, netflix, hulu (not hulu tv), MLB.tv and NHL.tv. and I'd say it comes to just around 180/mo.
    *edit* Forgot Amazon Prime. So closer to 200/mo.
    *edit2* Which is still cheaper than my mom with DirecTV only (she has the top plan from them because the internet doesn't reach where she is).

Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by aparch; 03-20-2019, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BassAle
    replied

I would go to each of those streaming services and see what their sites say for offerings.

I cut the cord a few years ago, and I have standard Hulu, not the Hulu-TV option, and can watch a lot cable and network TV, but not all. Disney now has a 35% stake in the company since its acquisition of 20th Century Fox, so its listings are likely to grow.

I have no experience with the others listed, and like you, I also have Netflix and Prime.

I've got the same setup: Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. I could probably cancel all of them and not miss it.

I do usually stream something when I bike in the gym at work so I don't get bored, so like an hour a day but i'd probably be fine just listening to music instead. My 10 year old son has never lived with cable in the house, so he thinks it's kind of cool when he visits his grandparents.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

I would go to each of those streaming services and see what their sites say for offerings.

I cut the cord a few years ago, and I have standard Hulu, not the Hulu-TV option, and can watch a lot cable and network TV, but not all. Disney now has a 35% stake in the company since its acquisition of 20th Century Fox, so its listings are likely to grow.

I have no experience with the others listed, and like you, I also have Netflix and Prime.

Leave a comment:

• Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Thinking about ditching FIOS and signing up for something cheaper. It's just my wife and I here with the occasional grandkid over for a visit.

Keep FIOS internet and
    HULU-TV or
    SLING TV or
    FUBO or
    ????

I don't watch network TV that much and have Netflix and Prime for movies. Primarily watch MLB and or NHL and HGTV / DiY, Discovery, Science and Smithsonian. For world news its generally the BBC. I think ESPN is necessary.

Wife watches Lifetime and Hallmark.

Proably have 5 TVs. BR, 2 guest rooms, office and Family.

Anyone have a recommendation and why?
Working...
X