X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

On the soccer side though no blackouts, despite Seattle and Portland both having their local broadcasts available here on cable.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    I agree. Iowa has asinine blackout rules. Most of the western states do. Not sure why the Mariners get to claim all of Montana as a "home" market.
    Alaska, Oregon, and Idaho as well. Mariners get blacked out here in Anchorage.

Though that’s more of a good thing these days.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Cubs fans dont watch baseball anyways. They turn the game on to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and tell the same lame *** stories about getting drunk in the bleachers to their friends

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The problem is when the Mets play the Nats the Mets' MLBTV cast is blacked out in DC. That's f-cking ridiculous and horrible to fans, and just pure stupid shortsighted greed.
    Same issue I have as a fan of out-of-market teams. I'm subjected to twelve games of Cubs broadcasts (which I can't watch now thanks to Sinclair and Comcast) just to see my Brewers.

MLB claims it's to protect the local broadcaster from losing advertising money from people who wouldn't buy cable and just subscribe to MLB.tv.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

There are positives to the blackout rule. Citizens of Detroit and Baltimore won't be subjected to watching their teams lose 100+ games.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

The problem is when the Mets play the Nats the Mets' MLBTV cast is blacked out in DC. That's f-cking ridiculous and horrible to fans, and just pure stupid shortsighted greed.
    Pony up, you cheap bastid!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Stop being a Yankee fan?

I get blacked out of Orioles and Nationals. But being able to watch them 90 min after the end is fine for 2 teams i dont care about.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

I agree. Iowa has asinine blackout rules. Most of the western states do. Not sure why the Mariners get to claim all of Montana as a "home" market.
    $$$$$$$

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    No one gets to complain about blackouts until you've lived in Iowa. Can't speak to the NBA, but in the NHL St. Louis, Chicago, and Minnesota all claim Iowa as their home market. Blackouts galore.

But MLB is absurd. 6 teams claim the entire state as their home market, so on any given night it's possible the entire NL and AL central is blacked out. Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals on the NL side, White Sox, Twins, and Royals on the AL side. It's horse hockey.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    The blackout territories are ridiculous and they need to find a better way to properly black out teams.

My mother lives in Michigan, but is considered to be in both Milwaukee's market (4 hours, 250 miles from MKE) and Detroit's market (9 hrs, 550 miles)

But, she only receives Fox Sports Detroit as her "regional sports net" from DirecTV because she is a Michigan resident and not a Wisconsin one.

For her to get to watch FS-Wisconsin, a channel that is also her HOME market, she needs to pay DirecTV for the sports pack (which unlocks all regional networks) or the premium tier (which unlocks every channel but PPV).

And using the password to stream (because she's had the sports pack from long before she was considered in MKE's territory)? Fox Sports Online claims her DirecTV login is only good to stream FS-Detroit. She's blacked out from streaming FS-Wisconsin even in her house.

Meanwhile, I live in Chicago where the local cable company Xfinity gave two big middle fingers to the Cubs and Sinclair and refuse to carry their new "Marquee Network."

The Cubs can't even be viewed in their home territory by their own fans at home via cable.
    No one gets to complain about blackouts until you've lived in Iowa. Can't speak to the NBA, but in the NHL St. Louis, Chicago, and Minnesota all claim Iowa as their home market. Blackouts galore.

But MLB is absurd. 6 teams claim the entire state as their home market, so on any given night it's possible the entire NL and AL central is blacked out. Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals on the NL side, White Sox, Twins, and Royals on the AL side. It's horse hockey.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

It's time to eliminate the blackout rules. They're stupid and antiquated.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    The problem for me is I'm considered to be in Yankees territory (300 miles away...), so they get blacked out on MLB TV. YES is the only way I can watch them.
    The blackout territories are ridiculous and they need to find a better way to properly black out teams.

My mother lives in Michigan, but is considered to be in both Milwaukee's market (4 hours, 250 miles from MKE) and Detroit's market (9 hrs, 550 miles)

But, she only receives Fox Sports Detroit as her "regional sports net" from DirecTV because she is a Michigan resident and not a Wisconsin one.

For her to get to watch FS-Wisconsin, a channel that is also her HOME market, she needs to pay DirecTV for the sports pack (which unlocks all regional networks) or the premium tier (which unlocks every channel but PPV).

And using the password to stream (because she's had the sports pack from long before she was considered in MKE's territory)? Fox Sports Online claims her DirecTV login is only good to stream FS-Detroit. She's blacked out from streaming FS-Wisconsin even in her house.

Meanwhile, I live in Chicago where the local cable company Xfinity gave two big middle fingers to the Cubs and Sinclair and refuse to carry their new "Marquee Network."

The Cubs can't even be viewed in their home territory by their own fans at home via cable.
    Last edited by aparch; 02-27-2020, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    The problem for me is I'm considered to be in Yankees territory (300 miles away...), so they get blacked out on MLB TV. YES is the only way I can watch them.
    Stop being a Yankee fan?

I get blacked out of Orioles and Nationals. But being able to watch them 90 min after the end is fine for 2 teams i dont care about.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    It has low impact for me. I rarely catch any sports besides the random soccer match on Fox networks.

I also get MLB TV, so i dont need any regionals for that.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Sinclair carries the Yankees? Talk about on the nose.
    Sinclair owns 1/5th of YES.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X