Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    They obviously don't advertise those numbers, but they do make it easy (for now) to share accounts. I think I am allowed five profiles and they tell you right up front they don't all have to be in the same residence. I offered to let my nephew have it but his dad said no. He has enough already to keep him occupied!
    7 profiles AFAIK. Or maybe my family has a deal because my mom is a D23 member.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Disney has the technology to put a good stamp on it when it comes time, but for now they want the views so they can say "The Mandalorian is the most watched show ever" Not with "only" 30 million subscribers it's not. Not when Netflix has what? 110 million?
      For 2019, Netflix reported revenue of $20+ billion. They spend a lot of money on a lot of original shows (which of course is why they get so many subscribers), but they still reported a net income of $1.866 billion.

P.S. Netflix reported at the end of the 2019 fiscal year, 169 million paid subscribers.
      Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 02-05-2020, 09:04 AM.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        And given human nature, let's say there's a divorce, or whatever. Now access is needed by separate account? That person is hooked. Woohoo, another subscriber. All these streaming services need, is a base. Then, let social media/word of mouth do the work. And when your BFF's/SO's break up, that person is still "OMG need Hulu/HBO/Disney/etc!" Job done.
        For now but I think this stuff is going to settle. Not die, but, like social media in general, it will settle down. There will be people obsessed with it, people who react strongly and shut it off entirely, and then people who are meh and can take it or leave it.

I've already started deliberately cutting my intake of this stuff and policing my spare time.

I mean, not here, but, you know...

The precedent for me is cable news. When it first started I couldn't get enough of it. Ten years in I started becoming saturated. Now you could not pay me to watch it.
        Last edited by Kepler; 02-05-2020, 09:01 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          For 2019, Netflix reported revenue of $20+ billion. They spend a lot of money on a lot of original shows (which of course is why they get so many subscribers), but they still reported a net income of $1.866 billion.

P.S. Netflix reported at the end of the 2019 fiscal year, 169 million paid subscribers.
          I'd be curious what the average Netflix subscriber is paying per month. Disney is reporting $5.56. That will change because D23 members got a sweet deal for the first three years if we for signed up early. All those subscribers will go from $4/month to $7/month. Iger was asked directly and they haven't even discussed raising the price. Before anyone says, "He's lying!" bear in mind this is a call with investors, not the media. Lie to a reporter and no one gives a ****, lie to an investor and you go to jail. I expect Iger will have long since retired before Disney raises the price. However, millions of subscribers will have the rate increase.

169 million subscribers is insane. It will take Disney at least two years to get that many

Comment

Disney will be fine in the long run on this. They are playing the long game. Netflix is in a bit of a conundrum however.

Netflix has to fund their content straight up through subscriptions and that could be their downfall. They have a crap ton of debt at the moment and it's not going anywhere soon. They have to keep borrowing to keep creating. They can keep things level for a while, but I don't see how they can turn a profit before things blow up. Disney and Time/Warner have other sources of income to fund their content.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              169 million subscribers is insane. It will take Disney at least two years to get that many
              Also keep in mind that I believe Netflix is worldwide. I don't think other services, like Hulu, have such a broad reach. But I could be wrong.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Also keep in mind that I believe Netflix is worldwide. I don't think other services, like Hulu, have such a broad reach. But I could be wrong.
                Correct. Iger said Hulu will be launching internationally in 2021. Also, Disney+ is only available in a few markets now but will be going through a massive international launch in the next few months.

Comment

• Just got this email from Youtube TV.
                  Unfortunately, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair to continue to carry the FOX Regional Sports Networks and YES Network.

Starting February 29, 2020, you will no longer be able to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network or YES Network.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    Just got this email from Youtube TV.
                    Looks like I go back to Hulu Live.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Fine by me. F--- Sinclair anyway.

Comment

Sinclair carries the Yankees? Talk about on the nose.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It has low impact for me. I rarely catch any sports besides the random soccer match on Fox networks.

I also get MLB TV, so i dont need any regionals for that.
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Sinclair carries the Yankees? Talk about on the nose.
                            Sinclair owns 1/5th of YES.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

It has low impact for me. I rarely catch any sports besides the random soccer match on Fox networks.

I also get MLB TV, so i dont need any regionals for that.
                              The problem for me is I'm considered to be in Yankees territory (300 miles away...), so they get blacked out on MLB TV. YES is the only way I can watch them.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

The problem for me is I'm considered to be in Yankees territory (300 miles away...), so they get blacked out on MLB TV. YES is the only way I can watch them.
                                Stop being a Yankee fan?

I get blacked out of Orioles and Nationals. But being able to watch them 90 min after the end is fine for 2 teams i dont care about.
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                                X