Stability of Universities After COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stability of Universities After COVID

Braving the Forum, where I have not been in many years, to drop a bit of NYU stathead figures for discussion on a topic I suspect many here may have some interest in - the future of higher education after the pandemic.

Said stathead broke down several different metrics related to 436 schools to sort them along axes of value and vulnerability to fallout from the pandemic. Depending on which quadrant they ended up in, each school was categorized thusly:

Thrive - Schools with high value and low vulnerabilities. They have an opportunity to emerge stronger than before the pandemic as they consolidate the market, have the capacity to increase exclusivity, and/or embrace technology to increase value thanks to a decrease in costs per student.

Survive - Schools with high value but high vulnerabilities. They will see demand destruction and lower revenue, but should be fine because they have built brand equity, a strong credential-to-cost ratio, and/or endowments to get through.

Struggle - Schools with low vulnerabilities but low value. These schools are considered to have one or more comorbidities, like high admission rates (and therefore, small waiting lists), high tuition, or low endowments.

Perish - Schools with low value and high vulnerabilities. These schools have multiple issues related above under struggling schools, and could also be over-reliant on international students and/or have weak brand equity.

The author takes great pains to point out that these are basic evaulations, not predictions, but they do exist as an interesting starting point for discussion, and perhaps as a kind of early warning system for the general public.

The full description of the methodology is here.

The full worksheet is here.

For reference, here are the D-I hockey schools, since they're most likely to be of interest to people here. Several schools are missing, they were not present on the worksheet (probably due to a lack of certain information).

Thrive
    Alaska-Fairbanks
    Boston College
    Colgate
    Cornell
    Dartmouth
    Harvard
    Holy Cross
    Michigan
    Michigan Tech
    New Hampshire
    Notre Dame
    Princeton
    Union
    Vermont
    Yale

Survive
    Arizona State
    Boston University
    Bowling Green
    Brown
    Connecticut
    Denver
    Massachusetts
    Miami
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Northeastern
    North Dakota
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Rensselaer
    RIT
    Western Michigan
    Wisconsin

Struggle
    Clarkson
    Colorado College
    Maine
    Quinnipiac
    Sacred Heart

Perish
    Alabama-Huntsville
    Long Island University
    Robert Morris
    St. Lawrence
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, RC.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm shocked to see Maine in Struggle. It's the main campus of the state university. The hell?

I would expect Clarkson to be okay as good technical schools rake in federal science grants and the students are kind of an afterthought. I would expect them to be in the Survive boat with RPI and RIT.

Shocked to see SLU down in Perish while Union is in Thrive. Aren't they essentially the same school?

Surprised to see Brown demoted to Survive.

Anchorage is off the chart, are they the same as UAF? And how did UAF get to thrive? I thought in general they were having serious budget problems?
      Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2020, 09:34 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Mass Lowell is also listed to survive.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I'm shocked to see Maine in Struggle. It's the main campus of the state university. The hell?

I would expect Clarkson to be okay as good technical schools rake in federal science grants and the students are kind of an afterthought. I would expect them to be in the Survive boat with RPI and RIT.

Shocked to see SLU down in Perish while Union is in Thrive. Aren't they essentially the same school?

Surprised to see Brown demoted to Survive.

Anchorage is off the chart, are they the same as UAF? And how did UAF get to thrive? I thought in general they were having serious budget problems?
          Maine is a poor state with relatively high taxes already. If we made better use of our ocean front land could afford to provide more for UMaine. There is a lot of money wasted on the other schools to which takes away from UMaine.

Have you ever been to SLU? That has got to be a tough sell geographically although kids who go love it.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Alabama-Huntsville wouldn't perish as a school unless someone in Tuscaloosa decided that killing the whole campus would be a great idea. Huntsville metro is the second-largest metro area in the state, and Huntsville city is poised to be bigger than Birmingham city in just a few years. (The metro-metro comparison isn't even close, though.) UAH has too much going for its — especially in research dollars — to be a problem. The biggest weakness that I see is the debt service on all the dorms that they built to get us up to 10k students.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
            X