Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump has gone full red pill and was promoting Q memes on his Truth Social.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/statu...97065492455424
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Trump has gone full red pill and was promoting Q memes on his Truth Social.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/statu...97065492455424
      All of the Q people should go visit him at MAL. Any security person in front is a deep-state operative, so feel free to take them out.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

It's a fascinating complaint to read. It's long, stretching to over 220 pages, but has lot's of interesting details in it.

One thing that is interesting is the nature of the fraud complaint, at least as described in the first quarter of the complaint.

When people think of fraud, people tend to think of things like the Madoff example. Madoff makes false statements, provides false documents, etc..., and as part of that he lines his own pockets with other people's money, and his investors basically lose everything they invested.

The AG seems to be saying that is not the same case here. This is not necessarily a case where any individuals or businesses or banks were harmed. To the contrary, it appears that in an effort to dodge this complaint, most of the loans and other lenders have been paid.

The basic claim of the AG is this: Trump prepared false financial statements by grossly inflating the values of property, used the financial statements to get big loans, then financially benefited from those loans. The AG acknowledges that the banks were all paid back. It is the AG's position that under NY fraud law, you don't need someone harmed by the false statements. It's enough that you benefited financially from those false statements.

I think that's very interesting. It's almost a victimless crime, but one by which Trump clearly benefited.

I haven't had time to read the last three quarters of the complaint, so I'm curious to see what the rest of the allegations are, including things like the tax fraud.
        The victim my brother the bank according to the law, but other potential clients of the banks were also impact, and those potential clients negatively. Banks do not hold unlimited appetite for taking on loans, nor does the Federal Reserve allow it. So that book has a limit. Other people were impacted yet again by TFG’s lies.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          The victim my brother the bank according to the law, but other potential clients of the banks were also impact, and those potential clients negatively. Banks do not hold unlimited appetite for taking on loans, nor does the Federal Reserve allow it. So that book has a limit. Other people were impacted yet again by TFG’s lies.
          lookit
          trump ain’t mookie’s favorite, but referring to him as The Fat Guy is just wrong… fatties have feeling too :-(
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• I haven’t really seen anyone say it, but I assume it must be the case that entering an inflated value onto the loan application, signing the form, and delivering it to the bank is a crime, in and of itself. It shouldn’t matter if the bank does its own appraisal and offers terms based on a more reasonable value. Just lying on the application should be a crime, regardless of whether anyone takes any action based on that lie.

If the bank corrects the value and offers the proper terms, then in that case it truly would be victimless, because TFG wouldn’t have gotten a more favorable loan than he “deserved,” but that should still be a crime, to my way of thinking.

Anyone know for sure if this is the case?
            Last edited by LynahFan; 09-24-2022, 07:20 AM.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              I haven’t really seen anyone say it, but I assume it must be the case that entering an inflated value onto the loan application, signing the form, and delivering it to the bank is a crime, in and of itself. It shouldn’t matter if the bank does its own appraisal and offers terms based on a more reasonable value. Just lying on the application should be a crime, regardless of whether anyone takes any action based on that lie.

If the bank corrects the value and offers the proper terms, then in that case it truly would be victimless, because TFG wouldn’t have gotten a more favorable loan than he “deserved,” but that should still be a crime, to my way of thinking.

Nosing around I found this,

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdca/pr...e-years-prison
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                I haven’t really seen anyone say it, but I assume it must be the case that entering an inflated value onto the loan application, signing the form, and delivering it to the bank is a crime, in and of itself. It shouldn’t matter if the bank does its own appraisal and offers terms based on a more reasonable value. Just lying on the application should be a crime, regardless of whether anyone takes any action based on that lie.

I think you are 100% correct on this. My guess is that if you fill out a fraudulent loan application and don't even get the loan, that is likely a crime.

But here is what's interesting about the NY case (and again, just due to some other time issues I still haven't gotten past the first quarter or so of the complaint.) It's a civil case, not a criminal prosecution, as I understand it. It can, and probably should lead to a criminal prosecution if the NY AG has the goods on him, but I think the present case is just a civil claim, trying to get money back from him.

Because it's a civil case, in most instances I think a party who claims fraud probably has to show a false statement that was made with an intent that the other party rely upon it, along with some damages.

But as the NY AG writes in the complaint, in terms of the government making the claim, they are not trying to recover money that was taken from someone (or a victim, so to speak), but they are asking for a "disgorgement" of what they say Trump gained from getting these loans, even if the banks were paid back in full. Sort of like a claim that Trump illegally profited from his act, and therefore he should have to give the profit he made to the state (not any bank or other "victim.")

The only reason I posted about it is that I just think that's an interesting claim under NY law, apparently.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I think you are 100% correct on this. My guess is that if you fill out a fraudulent loan application and don't even get the loan, that is likely a crime.

But here is what's interesting about the NY case (and again, just due to some other time issues I still haven't gotten past the first quarter or so of the complaint.) It's a civil case, not a criminal prosecution, as I understand it. It can, and probably should lead to a criminal prosecution if the NY AG has the goods on him, but I think the present case is just a civil claim, trying to get money back from him.

Because it's a civil case, in most instances I think a party who claims fraud probably has to show a false statement that was made with an intent that the other party rely upon it, along with some damages.

But as the NY AG writes in the complaint, in terms of the government making the claim, they are not trying to recover money that was taken from someone (or a victim, so to speak), but they are asking for a "disgorgement" of what they say Trump gained from getting these loans, even if the banks were paid back in full. Sort of like a claim that Trump illegally profited from his act, and therefore he should have to give the profit he made to the state (not any bank or other "victim.")

The only reason I posted about it is that I just think that's an interesting claim under NY law, apparently.
                  I think you are mixing typical common law tort concepts in with the statutory claim. You pretty much point that out yourself, I guess.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/s...96881292582914

So Trump finally finds a respected Florida lawyer to represent him in the Mar-a-Lago documents investigation, pays him $3 million upfront, and then weeks later the lawyer is no longer on the case?
                    (likely Trump gets a lot of the money back)
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Such a Trump move (aside from actually paying the guy). In a documents dispute, picking a guy who could never conceivably be cleared to review the documents in question is……not 6D chess.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Judge Dearie does not like Judge Cannon...

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1574845012029890562
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Judge Dearie does not like Judge Cannon...

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1574845012029890562
                          No sane person does.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...hony-and-whiny

Always projecting.

What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/...cUMmjDuSA&s=19

BREAKING: DoJ has asked Dearie for another day to secure a 3rd party vendor to create a portal to share info with Donald because NO VENDOR WOULD AGREE TO WORK WITH DONALD. DoJ says they expect Donald to PAY for the vendor LOL
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/stat...N1fGfODPQ&s=19

Here’s a phone call Mike Fanone got tonight after his assailant Kyle Young was sentenced to more than seven years in federal prison in his Jan. 6 case.
                                But remember we need to be nice to these ****s.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X