Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    If there are no concerns, why this:

Seems Ms. Abrams and I agree on voter ID.
    She agreed to it to give Manchin's bill some traction and to take that criticism away from Republicans. As usual the Republicans found something else to whine about. I have no issue with ID either but it doesn't change the facts and the facts are that it is a solution in search of a problem.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

If there are no concerns, why this:

I sincerely doubt it. The fact that she agreed to endorse its inclusion as a concession in order to get something she actually wants does not mean that she agrees with it in principle.

Edit: For me, the brass ring of Voting Rights reform is the end to partisan gerrymandering. So long as politicians can pick their voters, no amount of expansion in early voting, mail-in voting, automatic registration, etc will be enough to overcome that thumb on the scales - the district lines will just continue to get crazier to compensate and thereby keep the powerful in power. So long as the final bill ends partisan gerrymandering, there is a LOT that I would be willing to concede, too, including voter ID.
      Last edited by LynahFan; 06-21-2021, 11:04 AM.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Edit: For me, the brass ring of Voting Rights reform is the end to partisan gerrymandering. So long as politicians can pick their voters, no amount of expansion in early voting, mail-in voting, automatic registration, etc will be enough to overcome that thumb on the scales - the district lines will just continue to get crazier to compensate and thereby keep the powerful in power. So long as the final bill ends partisan gerrymandering, there is a LOT that I would be willing to concede, too, including voter ID.
        When I finally get appointed dictator for a day, here is how I'm going to change that system.

50 random classes of 3rd graders around the country are going to be given a map of one of the states (not their own). Each map will show the voting precincts with the population of each precinct written inside it. The challenge for the class will be to color in the requisite number of districts for that state (Minnesota's will be eight) with a different color, with the only two rules being that each color must have a population that approximates each of the other districts, and all the precincts for that district must touch.

You'll teach them math, with a little art class mixed in.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I have ... about three times so far.

I'd pay (federally funded) for a voter ID for every US citizen and require it for voting.

I don't give a flying fish what the Rs say about that position. That's my position.
          As scooby would say... whoosh.

If you think the comment was about this single item, you miss-read the post. Ask all the questions you want, as long as YOU post your thoughtful reasons why you support a position. On all things you ask.

BTW, have you written your 3 federal representatives this position, or is this just something we hear on an internet chat board?
          Last edited by MichVandal; 06-21-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

I sincerely doubt it. The fact that she agreed to endorse its inclusion as a concession in order to get something she actually wants does not mean that she agrees with it in principle.

I completely agree with this. Absurdly-shaped districts are the problem.
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
              BTW, have you written your 3 federal representatives this position, or is this just something we hear on an internet chat board?
              Why would I write? I was in a hotel conference room with Rep Armstrong last week.

The senators? Hoeven can't seem to find ND lately, and I've stated my opinion on Cramer here before (not a fan).

That said, I used their each of their online portals to give feedback in December 2020. I got the stock, trite, standard "thank you for contacting" post card back. < yawn >

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If fraud is not a problem, what's the harm in taking steps to ensure it never becomes one.
                Cause that isn't how things work. Can I do that with your guns? I am worried you might harm someone so I think you should give up your guns just in case...

Check the stats, from ANY YEAR, and there is no fraud. Check it with any method of voting, and there is no fraud. There is a better chance that the college I teach at wins the NCAA Title than there is of finding voter fraud and my school doesn't field athletic teams!

You can talk about how you support voter id for everyone but since that is not going to be implemented due to the Right Wing being ****tards that is a worthless red herring. When that gets implemented then Voter ID is legit. Until then it is voter suppression. Just because I support the idea of making and eating an omelet for breakfast doesn't mean I get to have one unless I buy the ingredients to make it.

And of course the big elephant in the room was, most of these rules that a lot of a sudden are just so awful and not secure were put into place by the same ignorant ****tards who now want to undermine them. You know for someone who lectured all of us to "look at the magicians other hand" when talking about Trump and his cronies you seem to be falling hard for every second rate hack trick the Vegas Lounge Act Magician is throwing your way.
                Last edited by Handyman; 06-21-2021, 12:47 PM.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

And you as avidly support Abram's many explanations about how the Republicans have deliberately used vote suppression to disenfranchise millions of African Americans?

Yeah. Didn't think so.

We know who you are, Sic. Your act doesn't work.

Last edited by Kepler; 06-21-2021, 01:09 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

... you seem to be falling hard for every second rate hack trick the Vegas Lounge Act Magician is throwing your way.
                    If there are no issues, why are Ms Abrams and Sen Manchin working on a non-issue. Something there does not align.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...anamo-bay-book

Former President Trump reportedly suggested sending Americans infected with COVID-19 to Guantanamo Bay in an effort to stem the rapidly growing number of cases on U.S. soil in the early days of the pandemic, according to a new book.
                      Trump, during a February 2020 meeting in the Situation Room as administration officials were discussing whether to bring infected Americans home for care, reportedly asked the attendees “Don’t we have an island that we own?” and “What about Guant?namo?”

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        You can talk about how you support voter id for everyone but since that is not going to be implemented due to the Right Wing being ****tards that is a worthless red herring.
                        I can't fix the folks that don't realize they're being tracked and monitored constantly via that phone/camera/GPS* most carry.

I can advocate for a solution that makes sense: federally paid voter ID for all US citizens and it being required to vote.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I have ... about three times so far.

I'd pay (federally funded) for a voter ID for every US citizen and require it for voting.

I don't give a flying fish what the Rs say about that position. That's my position.
                          Then why not free drivers licenses, since those get us 'effectively' there?
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I can't fix the folks that don't realize they're being tracked and monitored constantly via that phone/camera/GPS* most carry.
                            But you can vote with them!
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Then why not free drivers licenses, since those get us 'effectively' there?
                              Still on the driver's license thing ...
                              I used that to point out that in effect we already have a national ID, just with a state name on it, for those who drive. Some may not want to face it, but it's there.

To your query:
                              Driving is a privilege (pay); voting is a right of a US citizen (free ID).

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...anamo-bay-book
                                Former President Trump reportedly suggested sending Americans infected with COVID-19 to Guantanamo Bay in an effort to stem the rapidly growing number of cases on U.S. soil in the early days of the pandemic, according to a new book.
                                Trump, during a February 2020 meeting in the Situation Room as administration officials were discussing whether to bring infected Americans home for care, reportedly asked the attendees “Don’t we have an island that we own?” and “What about Guantanamo?”
                                Uhhhhh.......

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X