No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.65: I'm Just Here For The Lincoln Project Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defense of Sic and Hovey - neither of whom I've met - I somethings think they get overly vilified here even if I'm in the camp that cannot get on board with much of what they espouse here in writing. On the plus side both are articulate and I believe don't make decisions without significant thought. They're not trolls, they're not evil, and I would much rather converse with either than Bob, joe, Flag, Fish, Old Pio any day of the week.

They do sometimes rub me the wrong way and I've probably expressed as much, but as much as that happens I can't bring myself to characterize them similarly to some of the ways I've read here. I will continue to take them to task when I sense bull****, but I don't want to run them out of town either.

Comment

• I will agree on Hovey...Sic plays the joecct "asking questions" game too much IMHO. Both are better than the trolls though.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I think the value of the contrary voice is critically important to a decent discussion, and I'm glad they're here. Not many who are not trolls are willing to take the shyt that comes with that, and neither of them gets bitter or dickish, IMO. They are articulate and bring some brain power to the game. Scales on their eyes, maybe, but that's what we are for.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
          I think the value of the contrary voice is critically important to a decent discussion, and I'm glad they're here. Not many who are not trolls are willing to take the shyt that comes with that, and neither of them gets bitter or dickish, IMO. They are articulate and bring some brain power to the game. Scales on their eyes, maybe, but that's what we are for.
          Sic hasn’t been posting long enough since I discovered the Cafe to really form an opinion yet. I suppose living in constant fear that his house will be broken into might have cut down on the frequency of his posts.
          I think Hovey is incredibly smart and articulate, and I agree with him on startlingly more subjects than I’d like to admit, but he’s more smug than Kepler sometimes, and that’s saying something. Never seen him admit he’s wrong, and I can’t stand his routine where he acts like he’s the only one that knows something. About the only thing I would trust he knows more on than anyone on here would be from a business owner standpoint. But, this place without Hovey to occasionally dunk on when he’s wrong would be a little less fun, and he keeps coming back for more, even after getting his heart blessed, so add resilient to his list of positives. Keep coming back Hovey, Mr. Charmer, ya hear?

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
            but he’s more smug than Kepler sometimes, and that’s saying something.
            I'll say. I have to up my game.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

For me, the moments where you express genuine curiosity, or admit you’re wrong, are when Hovey clips you at the finish line. Cut out those two things, and I think you’ll have the smug lane to yourself.

Comment

For me, the moments where you express genuine curiosity, or admit you’re wrong, are when Hovey clips you at the finish line. Cut out those two things, and I think you’ll have the smug lane to yourself.
                I think I can, I think I can.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sic hasn’t been posting long enough since I discovered the Cafe to really form an opinion yet. I suppose living in constant fear that his house will be broken into might have cut down on the frequency of his posts.
                  I think Hovey is incredibly smart and articulate, and I agree with him on startlingly more subjects than I’d like to admit, but he’s more smug than Kepler sometimes, and that’s saying something. Never seen him admit he’s wrong, and I can’t stand his routine where he acts like he’s the only one that knows something. About the only thing I would trust he knows more on than anyone on here would be from a business owner standpoint. But, this place without Hovey to occasionally dunk on when he’s wrong would be a little less fun, and he keeps coming back for more, even after getting his heart blessed, so add resilient to his list of positives. Keep coming back Hovey, Mr. Charmer, ya hear?
                  You should ask Sic to explain the key to the 2016 election to you. He'll be ripping that smug crown off Hovey's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Please don't...
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

You should ask Sic to explain the key to the 2016 election to you. He'll be ripping that smug crown off Hovey's head.
                      This must be the “Hilary’s emails” bit I see y’all talking about. I’ll take your word for it.

Comment

Sic hasn’t been posting long enough since I discovered the Cafe to really form an opinion yet.
                        I've been here a long, long time. I fade in and out based on workload and personal life (like burying a mother in Mar 2020).

I'm not worried about my house. I do worry when friends and relatives are broken into.

Originally posted by psych View Post

I think Hovey ..., he’s more smug than Kepler sometimes, ...
                        Now that, that's unpossible. ;-)

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Sic plays the ... "asking questions" ...
                          All thought starts with a question.

Questions force you to think, weight, evaluate; a question makes you examine what you believe.

That said,

Why fear relevant, pertinent questions?

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

All thought starts with a question.

Questions force you to think, weight, evaluate; a question makes you examine what you believe.

That said,

Why fear relevant, pertinent questions?
                            Mostly because you already know the answer you are looking for. 90% of the time you "ask a question"- it's about trying to make a gotcha moment- like the whole bs about eliminating the filibuster.

Instead of trying to get a gotcha, just explain your point and why you think A, B, C, D.... is the correct path.

Another issue is when you pretend to "have the answer" only to post data that explains why you are wrong, and then pretend that is right- currently that would be the voter ID vs drivers license.

One more issue is your hypocrisy. Hillary's emails were such a problem, but when Trump openly talked secrets- it was OK because he was legally allowed to do that. Legal or not, it was the wrong thing to do. Hillary and Bengazi vs. Trump and troops that died in Africa- one was a problem, the other silence. The WORST problem of Racist party members is their massive hypocrisy- it's wrong for Democrats to do anything, and it's ok for R's to do worse.

That's not addressing an honest problem, that's applying the rules differently depending on who is in power, and that's just bad.

If you are going to have a position of "gotcha" for Democrats, you should apply it to everyone, equally, always. Otherwise, you are no better than faux "news".

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Mostly because you already know the answer you are looking for. 90% of the time you "ask a question"- it's about trying to make a gotcha moment- like the whole bs about eliminating the filibuster.

Instead of trying to get a gotcha, just explain your point and why you think A, B, C, D.... is the correct path.

Another issue is when you pretend to "have the answer" only to post data that explains why you are wrong, and then pretend that is right- currently that would be the voter ID vs drivers license.

One more issue is your hypocrisy. Hillary's emails were such a problem, but when Trump openly talked secrets- it was OK because he was legally allowed to do that. Legal or not, it was the wrong thing to do. Hillary and Bengazi vs. Trump and troops that died in Africa- one was a problem, the other silence. The WORST problem of Racist party members is their massive hypocrisy- it's wrong for Democrats to do anything, and it's ok for R's to do worse.

That's not addressing an honest problem, that's applying the rules differently depending on who is in power, and that's just bad.

If you are going to have a position of "gotcha" for Democrats, you should apply it to everyone, equally, always. Otherwise, you are no better than faux "news".
                              Good summary. The hypocrisy and disappearing is the worst

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Mostly because you already know the answer you are looking for.
                                Yes, most of my questions, I know my answer already.

When I pose a question I'm probing:
                                - what is your answer, and
                                - have you really thought through your answer (or is it merely regurgitated party-speak pablum)

The question is about thought: have you, did you, and not just one level deep.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X