Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well if that is the defense it is a bunch of crap imho. I have been less than impressed so far with the Garland DOJ I am not going to lie.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Well if that is the defense it is a bunch of crap imho. I have been less than impressed so far with the Garland DOJ I am not going to lie.
      Considering the amount of arrests that should have happened by now I am extremely disappointed.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Well if that is the defense it is a bunch of crap imho. I have been less than impressed so far with the Garland DOJ I am not going to lie.
        Really? Because whatever the liberals do, the GOP will weaponize it and use it to destroy us. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I tend to think it's better for the WH to stay out of the daily business of the DOJ. The only way this gets worse is if the biden admin meddles, then all of a sudden it's perfectly ok for the DOJ to receive marching orders from the White House. Yes, the conservatives will still do it. But I don't think it's a better country of the Dems start doing it too.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Considering the amount of arrests that should have happened by now I am extremely disappointed.
          You're perpetually disappointed by choice
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Really? Because whatever the liberals do, the GOP will weaponize it and use it to destroy us. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I tend to think it's better for the WH to stay out of the daily business of the DOJ. The only way this gets worse is if the biden admin meddles, then all of a sudden it's perfectly ok for the DOJ to receive marching orders from the White House. Yes, the conservatives will still do it. But I don't think it's a better country of the Dems start doing it too.
            Sorry but **** that. I am so sick and tired of liberals not doing the right thing for fear of reprisal. That is chicken **** BS and that is a ****ing loser mentality and it is why our country is on the brink of collapse. The liberals are the whiny person in the action film who is so scared they get themselves killed instead of jumping and getting to safety.

I never advocated for Biden to intervene. The question is about why Garland feels he needs to have the DOJ defend Trump in the Carroll suit. And now they are trying to replace him in the suit since he was a Government employee so to me it looks even worse. (to the public)

The DOJ should not be defending Trump. They are all but guaranteeing zero justice for Carroll.

As for the Insurrectionists...I am 100% with Scooby. (and you know me well enough to know that isn't usually the case) The kid gloves these traitors have been treated with is friggin disgusting and the DOJ isn't even really putting up much of a fight about it. Low level drug offenders get treated worse...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...f30231f51beaf5

The Senate report is the first — and could be the last — bipartisan review of how hundreds of Trump supporters were able to push violently past security lines and break into the Capitol that day, interrupting the certification of Joe Biden’s presidential election victory. It recommends immediate changes to give the Capitol Police chief more authority, to provide better planning and equipment for law enforcement and to streamline intelligence gathering among federal agencies.

As a bipartisan effort, the report does not delve into the root causes of the attack, including Trump’s role as he called for his supporters to “fight like hell” to overturn his election defeat that day. It does not call the attack an insurrection, even though it was. And it comes two weeks after Republicans blocked a bipartisan, independent commission that would investigate the insurrection more broadly.
              The Senate Report is a joke. The arrests are a joke. I don't think this country is going to come to terms with January 6th. And if it doesn't something worse is going to happen.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• It’s the classic, if you’re for tolerance, then how can you be intolerant of intolerance “paradox.”

If you’re for democracy and the rule of law, you may feel hesitant to use “authoritarian” or unprecedented legal means to defend it. People feel like they have to win the “right” way (e.g. without abolishing the filibuster) so they end up losing the right way instead.

Steps in order:

1. Secure the premises.
                2. Worry about vacuuming the floors and washing the dishes.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I never advocated for Biden to intervene. The question is about why Garland feels he needs to have the DOJ defend Trump in the Carroll suit. And now they are trying to replace him in the suit since he was a Government employee so to me it looks even worse. (to the public)

The DOJ should not be defending Trump. They are all but guaranteeing zero justice for Carroll.
                  It's the same reason the ACLU defends or fights reprehensible speech or activities. You can't pick and choose.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

It's the same reason the ACLU defends or fights reprehensible speech or activities. You can't pick and choose.
                    lmao.

Woooooooooooooooosh. No one is suggesting martial law here.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...f30231f51beaf5

The Senate Report is a joke. The arrests are a joke. I don't think this country is going to come to terms with January 6th. And if it doesn't something worse is going to happen.
                      My fear is that sooner rather than later more lefties are going to see that the Dems are doing nothing, and they will decide to show up armed at the next Meal Team Six hot dog roast. That is when it is truly going to get very ugly and Charlottesville and 1/6 are going to look like child's play in comparison. Republicans will then weaponize such a bloodbath as a far-left takeover attempt going into the midterms and/or 2024, and that combined with any sort of economic slide is going to be all the spin they need to convince voters to sweep them into power. It will then become permanent after they pass sweeping federal legislation to restrict and suppress the vote and allow them to just flat-out overturn results they don't agree with.

Now, I'm sure we'll get Hovey here to tell Handy and I that we have very active imaginations and to stop being hysterical and just chill out.

Comment

No, that isn't it.

The ACLU is holding to matters of principle and therefore they try not to make those distinctions. Indeed, the classic Areopagitica defense of free speech takes this exact approach, saying we must even allow the most insidious, dangerous, and evil group (Atheists) their rights in order to protect the good majority should their rights ever be abridged someday. Denial of freedom to one is a denial to all.

Likewise, in a Court proceeding guaranteeing equality under the law, all parties have to apply matters of law impartially no matter what kind of scumbag the defendant is.

But the DOJ defense of Dump against one of his dozens of rape suits is not a matter of their statutory requirements, it's a convention. Given that Dump and his cadre have no respect for democratic norms or the separation of the judicial from partisan politics it would have been entirely appropriate for the DOJ to cut him loose.

We are obliged to protect the rights and liberties of those who sign on to the American contract. Those who break it and fap to a dream of a dictatorship, like the contemporary GOP and 75% of Republican voters, are in my mind no longer entitled to all of the protections of the laws they wish to destroy.

The Nazis used the Weimar constitution to destroy it. We cannot let the American Right do that here. The millions or hundreds of millions of dead and tormented by Nazis with Nukes is a moral claim of greater authority than a foolish consistency.

You showed us what you are. You are no longer Americans.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 06-08-2021, 12:33 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

My fear is that sooner rather than later more lefties are going to see that the Dems are doing nothing, and they will decide to show up armed at the next Meal Team Six hot dog roast. That is when it is truly going to get very ugly and Charlottesville and 1/6 are going to look like child's play in comparison. Republicans will then weaponize such a bloodbath as a far-left takeover attempt going into the midterms and/or 2024, and that combined with any sort of economic slide is going to be all the spin they need to convince voters to sweep them into power. It will then become permanent after they pass sweeping federal legislation to restrict and suppress the vote and allow them to just flat-out overturn results they don't agree with.

Now, I'm sure we'll get Hovey here to tell Handy and I that we have very active imaginations and to stop being hysterical and just chill out.
                          Nah. Active imaginations produce beautiful movies and books and music. You guys drove off the cliff months ago.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Nah. Active imaginations produce beautiful movies and books and music. You guys drove off the cliff months ago.
                            Silly me, thinking you'd care. What difference does it make to you? You've got yours no matter what, fck everyone else. It's the Republican way.

Comment

Yeah. Nothing happened on January 6th. It was a little barbeque outside the Capitol.

Comment

I am so sick and tired of liberals not doing the right thing for fear of reprisal.
                                dx's assessment and fear is real, and we have the receipts --> Reid's nuclear option becomes McConnell's play toy.

(And don't think the same wouldn't come true regarding filibuster.)

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X