POTUS 45.65: I'm Just Here For The Lincoln Project Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sagard View Post

Yeah my facebook friends pretty much qualifies. Grew up in Minneapolis in the 80s and feels like 90% of my 50 yo friends are on Trumps side.
    Had I kept connected with my old school mates, I have no doubt it would be the same. Most of them stayed in Idaho. I suspect, though, having zero real connections with my past.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Sorta, not really. I'm part of a car enthusiast board where there's a pretty strong underlying support of dumpy- some who though the 1/6 event was justified as being patriotic, since the courts "through out the evidence."

But there is almost no real political talk there as the owners of the site don't let it happen. It went on for a while, but the discussions got to heated, and they stopped.

One interesting trend on this board is that it has slid very left- I remember having some "discussions" with right wing people who just denied reality. They lived in a world where it was ok to not only give tax breaks to huge corporations, it was ok to give them money to do their work. BUT it was the worst thing in the world to give the same money to the poor. And we know the hatred that went with the ACA.

It's not as if this is a board that shuts discussions down (well, there is the ban hammer)- so it's interesting that the trend went left. Especially during the dumpy period. And I know 100% there are a TON of dumpy worshipers in the hockey thread- they just refused to engage and try to justify their position. Some "moral" ones just gave up. Seems like a big one that made them shut down was the whole caging of kids.
      The reason this board has gone left is a combination of cowardice (Joe, Sica), mass muting (the nuts in the COVID thread), and a timely ban or two (Flaggy).
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        The reason this board has gone left is a combination of cowardice (Joe, Sica), mass muting (the nuts in the COVID thread), and a timely ban or two (Flaggy).
        That may be part of it, but I think that's an incomplete picture.

I don't know that I would say that it's hard to come to a discussion board where you are one of a very tiny minority on many subjects discussed, but it's probably fair to say that many people wouldn't find it enjoyable. I think a lot of people participate in message boards for the enjoyment of the social interaction.

It almost takes a bit of masochistic personality to want to do it day after day. I don't find it too bad, because I don't participate to near the extent that others have or do.

If you are going to come onto a board where good days are measured by people simply disagreeing with you, or telling you that you're wrong, while the bad days devolve into name-calling and insults, you have to be willing to accept that if you want to stay at it.

I think of someone like Rube. As far as I could tell, Rube seemed like he was/is a heck of nice guy. I wouldn't describe him as right-wing, but I think it's fair to say he fell closer to the conservative end of the spectrum of Cafe than the liberal end.

I know Handy has said that Rube claims he stopped participating due to the new software, but he still posts everyday, just not in the political threads, He is still posting on a variety of subjects in the reputation threads, subjects that are frequently discussed here in the regular Cafe threads.

People on here were hard on Rube, and he didn't even take positions that were that extreme. But when he shows up every day and someone says he's wrong, he responds, and then the peanut gallery comes along and piles on him, I don't blame him for tiring of it.

I sometimes tire of it. But honestly, I also kind of enjoy it, so, what can I say.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I sometimes tire of it. But honestly, I also kind of enjoy it, so, what can I say.
          You say Ooh, Mistress, harder! Harder, and a little to the left!

I know my out look has changed over the years, but mostly on economic issues. It became clear to me that current policies that have varied over since the 80s have been failing the country, and they’re the basis of the very policies parroted by the GOP. Thanks, but no thanks.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

That may be part of it, but I think that's an incomplete picture.

I don't know that I would say that it's hard to come to a discussion board where you are one of a very tiny minority on many subjects discussed, but it's probably fair to say that many people wouldn't find it enjoyable. I think a lot of people participate in message boards for the enjoyment of the social interaction.

It almost takes a bit of masochistic personality to want to do it day after day. I don't find it too bad, because I don't participate to near the extent that others have or do.

If you are going to come onto a board where good days are measured by people simply disagreeing with you, or telling you that you're wrong, while the bad days devolve into name-calling and insults, you have to be willing to accept that if you want to stay at it.

I think of someone like Rube. As far as I could tell, Rube seemed like he was/is a heck of nice guy. I wouldn't describe him as right-wing, but I think it's fair to say he fell closer to the conservative end of the spectrum of Cafe than the liberal end.

I know Handy has said that Rube claims he stopped participating due to the new software, but he still posts everyday, just not in the political threads, He is still posting on a variety of subjects in the reputation threads, subjects that are frequently discussed here in the regular Cafe threads.

People on here were hard on Rube, and he didn't even take positions that were that extreme. But when he shows up every day and someone says he's wrong, he responds, and then the peanut gallery comes along and piles on him, I don't blame him for tiring of it.

From what I could tell, Rube's breaking point was George Floyd and cops. He was a strong proponent of cops, telling people that most are good. Then over time after that incident, more and more bad cops were exposed, along with fewer cops standing up to them.

That was the last I remember seeing him on any political debate.

It seems more that people had an easier time poking holes into conservative positions than into liberal ones- using real data and all. To the point that it was hard to justify most right wing positions. People seemed to drop out when a specific event happened where they lost any data driven standing.

Comment

• On the other hand, it should tell you something when the policies you back are so brutal, and the political party you support mounts an actual coup attempt, that polite and reasonable people start calling you a Nazi.

Some people might stop to examine their allegiance at that point.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                The board hasn't gone Left. The Right has gone insane.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post

Yeah my facebook friends pretty much qualifies. Grew up in Minneapolis in the 80s and feels like 90% of my 50 yo friends are on Trumps side.
                  My friends who went to college are 95% Democratic. My friends who didn't go to college are 75% Republican.

It basically comes down to education with a side order of intelligence.

This is anecdotal, but... yeah, it checks out.
                  Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

This. So much this.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

My friends who went to college are 95% Democratic. My friends who didn't go to college are 75% Republican.

It basically comes down to education with a side order of intelligence.

This is anecdotal, but... yeah, it checks out.
                      95% of my friends that went to college are democrats or left leaning independents (and would never vote for Trump). Probably 95% of the people I went to high school with that didn't go to college are on the Trump Train.

Comment

Yeah I feel a couple of the slightly left posters here used to be slightly right before the right went crazy.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• I agree with that fully. I've definitely moved from slight right to slight left (which is uncomfortable for me to admit to, but it is what it is). My views have changed with time, observation, new learnings and all the other stuff that ought to change the minds of intelligent people.

Meanwhile the right went bonkers.
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

I, for one, am glad you're here.

Comment

• Learn the difference, people. Quinnipiac sucks slightly less: https://quchronicle.com/72093/news/q...look-of-qanon/

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Just saw a protester to the President visiting Portage MI today. His comments belong here... other than the obvious "he's not my President" his concern was the cost of the visit to Michigan.

As if dumpy didn't waste millions of US dollars playing golf on his own resorts.

Talk about denial.

Comment

Working...
                                X