POTUS 45.65: I'm Just Here For The Lincoln Project Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    This is why people don't take Democratic Party Leadership seriously.
    I disagree, and it has zero to do with the Democratic Leadership.

Do you honestly think delaying Biden's agenda for a month is going to play well with people who need his COVID Bill to pass?* And make no mistake that is what would have likely happened. The Senate would have recessed for at least a week if not two and then they would have deposed witnesses before they testified...and for what? Mitch already said he was voting to acquit. It was over.

*No way the GOP agrees to allow business to continue while the trial continues
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I disagree, and it has zero to do with the Democratic Leadership.

Do you honestly think delaying Biden's agenda for a month is going to play well with people who need his COVID Bill to pass?* And make no mistake that is what would have likely happened. The Senate would have recessed for at least a week if not two and then they would have deposed witnesses before they testified...and for what? Mitch already said he was voting to acquit. It was over.

*No way the GOP agrees to allow business to continue while the trial continues
      They're already recessing the second he's acquitted so *nothing* is happening for at least a week anyway, and you look like absolute ******* to agree to call for witnesses, win the vote, then immediately back off.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I thought Collins was awful, never does the right thing, etc.

Hopefully Trump goes to jail for what happened.
        I am so happy she voted to convict him the first time he was impeached. Clearly, he learned his lesson.
        I look forward to Susan doing her best to pare down any future reconciliation bills (or any legislation, for that matter), and you complaining that Democrats aren’t getting the job done. Makes me think you’re either a troll or a moron, and I guess it doesn’t matter on a message board.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post

They're already recessing the second he's acquitted so *nothing* is happening for at least a week anyway, and you look like absolute ******* to agree to call for witnesses, win the vote, then immediately back off.
          You dont see the difference between a week and a month? Come on man...

Every time you disagree with something you immediately blame the Leadership. (who again aren't the ones in charge here and aren't why witnesses weren't called) They look no worse than they did before the vote to allow witnesses and the outcome hasn't changed one bit. I think you are letting your dislike of certain Dems to blind you. I don't like them either, but I would rather they get Biden's agenda and people through than the kabuki theater lasting the rest of February. Getting the Cabinet filled (especially Garland) and COVID Relief >> calling witnesses that have no effect on the outcome. (and they might not testify anyways)

edit: If people want their story told to the world they can go public like Herrera did. It will have the exact same effect.
          Last edited by Handyman; 02-13-2021, 12:24 PM.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

I am so happy she voted to convict him the first time he was impeached. Clearly, he learned his lesson.
            I look forward to Susan doing her best to pare down any future reconciliation bills (or any legislation, for that matter), and you complaining that Democrats aren’t getting the job done. Makes me think you’re either a troll or a moron, and I guess it doesn’t matter on a message board.
            I think he just likes his Senator. He isnt a troll or a moron he is just the average vote. "All politicians suck except mine" is a pretty common thing which is why Congress always has terrible approval ratings but also high re-election rates.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

She’s one of maybe half a dozen senators who will go against her party. She embarrassed Trump yesterday which is worth something. Maybe she’s not perfect but at least she tries, which is more than you can say for most.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• What witnesses would the GOP have called, anyway? 500 more people to say, “But this one Dem once yelled fire in an empty shed which is totally the same thing!” Yawn.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I think he just likes his Senator. He isnt a troll or a moron he is just the average vote. "All politicians suck except mine" is a pretty common thing which is why Congress always has terrible approval ratings but also high re-election rates.
                  You’re far too kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    What witnesses would the GOP have called, anyway? 500 more people to say, “But this one Dem once yelled fire in an empty shed which is totally the same thing!” Yawn.
                    That's not the concern, though. Ds either let it turn into a complete time-wasting shyt show or be seen as the party wanting to limit evidence.

That, at least, is probably the R's strategy.

Comment

What witnesses would the GOP have called, anyway? 500 more people to say, “But this one Dem once yelled fire in an empty shed which is totally the same thing!” Yawn.
                      The drunk blonde from Michigan who signed affa Davids

Comment

You’re far too kind.
                        I am giving him the benefit of the doubt yes. I have been quick to jump on him about stuff in the past and he has proven me wrong. I am trying (not often succeeding but I truly am trying) to soften my stance a little bit. Not because I don't still feel the same way, but I am sick of looking at everyone who is to the Right of me (as a Bleed Blue Progressive) as the devil. It is actually ruining my love of our Government and our Country.

It isnt working too well but it is a very slow process ;^)

(Crackpots will still be called out though cause they are dangerous)
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

The drunk blonde from Michigan who signed affa Davids
                          Somewhere Lorne Michaels is thinking, “Oh please, oh please, oh please.....”
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

That's not the concern, though. Ds either let it turn into a complete time-wasting shyt show or be seen as the party wanting to limit evidence.

That, at least, is probably the R's strategy.
                            Bingo. The problem wasn't that the GOP was going to call a ton of witnesses, that would have gone nowhere because neither caucus wants that and the Dems would vote it down. (nor does Trump want it for that matter) The problem is that in theory every time the Dems voted down a witness it would pile up and begin looking bad. Even though those are the rules, it would look like (to the voters) that the Dems have their thumb on the scale. Now you could argue that is fair game because the GOP does that all the time but in this case it will sooner or later look like they are just trying to get their pound of flesh from a guy who isn't even in office anymore. It is a very thin line. Not to mention the fact that it is nearly impossible to force people to testify so likely Beutler was it anyways.

So then it comes down to cutting a deal which is what King and Manchin were pushing for. (and it sounds like others on both sides) That sounds fair and most likely the voters give leeway in that regard. Well does that mean the Trump Team gets to call any witness they choose in response because that is just untenable. (they would likely call VP Harris or Pelosi) Does the Senate vote who the GOP gets to call cause that could take many votes which again makes the Dems look like they are cheating. Would the House Managers be forced to only call one or two witnesses to avoid the issues cause if so then what is the point?

Meanwhile nothing gets done. Garland is supposed to be confirmed by the end of the month. Other members of the cabinet are needed as well. Not to mention Biden and the House Dems want the Covid Relief passed before March. (as do the people) None of that happens until after the guaranteed acquittal.

Personally I think it sucks. If there was no pressing business to deal with I would be calling for all the witnesses! Let the trial drag on for months until everyone who wants to be heard can be. That just isn't viable here and I bet if you ask even super Progressives like Bernie off the record (maybe even on since he likely agreed to the deal) they would agree. The problems of the country far outweigh the public flogging of Trump.
                            Last edited by Handyman; 02-13-2021, 01:17 PM.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I imagine the scene from the Simpsons where Lionel Hutz recalls all of his surprise witnesses.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Sounds like no one was willing to cooperate. They’re all Spineless Susans

https://mobile.***********/danielsgo...49216322924548

Comment

Working...
                                X