No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.65: I'm Just Here For The Lincoln Project Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what the chances of it happening are, but does this move force Trump to show if voted as a witness, or can people deny if they’re called?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Not sure what the chances of it happening are, but does this move force Trump to show if voted as a witness, or can people deny if they’re called?
      If I understand correctly they can refuse and then it can go to the courts to decide. (meaning they wont testify)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Sounds like Crackpot might be the cause of this by attacking Tuberville. Methinks van der Veen is gonna get a call from the Bar at some point cause lying to Congress is kind of a big deal ;^)
        Keep in mind that while following the law is mandatory for Democrats (and violations of which result in severe and swift punishment), it is a mere suggestion for Republicans.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          They have now called for witnesses, 55-45. All Dems, plus Collins, Murkowski, Romney, Sasse, and... Graham. Graham this morning tweeted “if you want a delay, it will be a long one with many, many witnesses.”
          I thought Collins was awful, never does the right thing, etc.

Hopefully Trump goes to jail for what happened.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

burd is right though...if the Dems just block everyone the GOP wants to testify that will become problematic in the court of public opinion.
            Depends who they are. If they're calling the My Pillow guy, and Rudy, and the Kraken, then yeah, they should be blocked. Unless you want to ask Rudy what he meant by the phrase "trial by combat"
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

burd is right though...if the Dems just block everyone the GOP wants to testify that will become problematic in the court of public opinion.
              I hope the Dems will begin to just do the ethically right thing, and leave the public opinion up to the public (let the chips fall). Maybe “they” deserve more credit than they get.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• They should just have timelines. House Managers get 5 days (or whatever amount of time they determine is necessary), and the Defense gets the same. If you want to have 300 witnesses in your 5 days...good luck.
                North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Keep in mind that while following the law is mandatory for Democrats (and violations of which result in severe and swift punishment), it is a mere suggestion for Republicans.
                  This is a very good point.

rufus,

I would guess the GOP will push for SOTH, SML, VP Harris and Mayor Bowser. They have to block that crap because it is irrelevant. (yOu OnCe sAid FiGhT!11!1!) But if there is someone who might be in the know of the situation (maybe an aid to the President who was in the Oval Office) the Dems should let them be called. They are just as likely to help the Dems as Trump's Team with their testimony. (and Trump's lawyers are so inept they might call the wrong people anyways)

geezer,

While I agree we both know how important the upcoming elections are. It is important not to push too hard and make yourself the villains in the eyes of the voters. There is a lot of business that needs to get done that people care about more. These negotiations going on right now are very important. Right now the public is on your side but if you overstep that could flip on a dime. Thankfully I trust Raskin implicitly so I am not super worried about that. He and his team have been amazing.

The funny thing about all of this is that Senators were caught off guard this could happen today. Today was the day that if there was going to be a call for witnesses it was going to happen. They obviously didn't read the negotiated resolution.

I got to think Trump is fuming at his dumbazz lawyers for walking him right into this with his attitude and his comments. They are bluffing with their "we will call Eleventy Billion witnesses!!1!!" and everyone knows it. They want this over with. The longer this goes the more likely it becomes that others in the GOP start walking away from Trump.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

They should just have timelines. House Managers get 5 days (or whatever amount of time they determine is necessary), and the Defense gets the same. If you want to have 300 witnesses in your 5 days...good luck.
                    I don't think they can do that under the original resolution. Plus the Senate has to agree to hear each witness no matter what and no one on either side wants that many votes it would take 5 days just to vote on the list.

Plus, what if Beutler testifies and that leads to others wanting to like McCarthy or Cheney? What if the Trump Team gets caught lying about something again and Raskin has a witness that will prove it? The House Managers would never be able to make it work on that kind of time frame.

The "1 for 1" deal the GOP is trying to negotiate isnt bad but the Dems should agree to it only if, prior to voting on that deal, the GOP votes to allow other business to go on alongside the trial which requires I believe unanimous consent if I heard right. They will never agree to that but it is worth a shot and it makes the GOP look bad.

edit: Angus King and Joe Manchin are pushing the "1 for 1". Sounds like a deal is ready...
                    Last edited by Handyman; 02-13-2021, 11:42 AM.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Trump's Team is allowing Beutler's statement to be read into the record. I am guessing they are avoiding witnesses by stipulating she is telling the truth and allowing it read.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Yep that is it. They used the threat of witnesses to get the statement put into the record. Closing arguments are commencing.

Both sides chickened out.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Trump's Team is allowing Beutler's statement to be read into the record. I am guessing they are avoiding witnesses by stipulating she is telling the truth and allowing it read.
                          Yeah, looks like no witnesses. I think that's a mistake to some degree. But I get not wanting to derail the Senate for weeks/months when it won't change the result.
                          North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I thought Collins was awful, never does the right thing, etc.

Hopefully Trump goes to jail for what happened.
                            She is freaking awful. This absolves her?? She knows the guy she enabled for four years is walking

Comment

Yeah, looks like no witnesses. I think that's a mistake to some degree. But I get not wanting to derail the Senate for weeks/months when it won't change the result.
                              Which is what would have happened. Manchin and King wanting the "1 for 1" deal could have dragged this out forever. None of the Senators want that, Trump doesn't want that and for sure Biden doesn't.

edit: also finding out that the Tuberville call came at a different point in the time line kind of hurt the House Managers case.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• This is why people don't take Democratic Party Leadership seriously.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X