X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Bless your heart.

1. We have a common law concept in the US called the "mailbox rule," which applies to contract law. It states that acceptance of a contract takes effect once the letter is posted, or placed in the mailbox. This decision is in direct conflict with that. It's not exactly the same thing, but it would not be any kind of unreasonable leap to say that as long as the vote was posted before the due date, it should be accepted.
    2. This is something that should have been decided weeks ago. Now, we have this scenario where people were working under the rules as they were, mailed their ballot Wednesday or yesterday, and they won't get there in time. Now they have to scramble to figure out if there's a way to make sure their vote will count because the courts just potentially nullified their votes.

I wonder why conservatives are afraid of the people being allowed to cast their vote?
    You want to know what I wonder? I wonder why all these liberals with these huge brains we keep hearing about have such a surprisingly difficult time with a very, very simple task: Pick up ballot, make choice, deliver ballot before election day deadline. It doesn't get a lot easier than that. I mean if you can't even navigate that problem, do we even care that much that your vote might not count?

I don't really give a ratsazz about the "mailbox rule." If the Minnesota legislature wanted to adopt the "mailbox rule" as the election rule in this state, they would have done so. They didn't.

Let me switch it around for you. Let's say that instead of a Democrat in the Sec of State's office, it was a Republican. Let's further assume a Republican group sued the Sec of State arguing that ballots shouldn't be counted unless they are received at least one day before election day, and the Sec of State decided sure, sounds good to me. You'd be ok with that change in the law made unilaterally by the Secretary of State? I think we know the answer.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      I hate to say it (well, no I don't) but if you want a real start, they need to be on ventilators and/or dying. Sort of like when your favorite college football team has the a coach you hate, but every year they win from 5-8 games. Probably never gonna get fired. You need a couple of 2-10 years to ensure a change is made.
      I'm a Cornell fan. I dream of 5-win seasons.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

You want to know what I wonder? I wonder why all these liberals with these huge brains we keep hearing about have such a surprisingly difficult time with a very, very simple task: Pick up ballot, make choice, deliver ballot before election day deadline. It doesn't get a lot easier than that. I mean if you can't even navigate that problem, do we even care that much that your vote might not count?

I don't really give a ratsazz about the "mailbox rule." If the Minnesota legislature wanted to adopt the "mailbox rule" as the election rule in this state, they would have done so. They didn't.

Let me switch it around for you. Let's say that instead of a Democrat in the Sec of State's office, it was a Republican. Let's further assume a Republican group sued the Sec of State arguing that ballots shouldn't be counted unless they are received at least one day before election day, and the Sec of State decided sure, sounds good to me. You'd be ok with that change in the law made unilaterally by the Secretary of State? I think we know the answer.
        Bang on. Other than the military there is no good reason not to have your ballot in on Election Day. I say that with the caveat that this assumes you are sent your ballot in a timely manner.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I would. This isnt about party it is about counting the votes. If I mail my ballot today but it gets delayed by no fault of my own why should my vote not count? Same holds true for you, my Trumper friend, the moron I know who jokingly wants to vote for Kanye...all of them. The right to have your vote counted is higher than all rights period...full stop. Personally I think all votes should be counted until the EC has to be convened.

Now personally I would say they would be better off just driving it out and dropping it off (or just voting in person) but they arent committing some crime by mailing it a few days before the deadline but the Right is basically going to **** on their votes even though they did it the right way. How is that ok with you?

If a post mark date is good enough for the IRS why isnt it for the GOP?

You like to pretend we are the ones playing party politics here but only one party is asking for votes to not be counted. Well sorry but facts again dont back that up. And they are using a Pandemic to push it even farther because they just cant be be bothered to let the voice of the people actually decide who is in charge. (or they change the power structure after the fact because they are sore losers)
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• There's a reason even the IRS allows "late" filings as long as the post mark is by the deadline. I don't know why this would be so different.

At the same time, we could eliminate this as an issue by allowing early voting everywhere, ballot drop-off locations that are actually readily available (ahem, Texas) and a national decision on when mail-in ballots will be accepted.
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I would. This isnt about party it is about counting the votes. If I mail my ballot today but it gets delayed by no fault of my own why should my vote not count? Same holds true for you, my Trumper friend, the moron I know who jokingly wants to vote for Kanye...all of them. The right to have your vote counted is higher than all rights period...full stop. Personally I think all votes should be counted until the EC has to be convened.

Now personally I would say they would be better off just driving it out and dropping it off (or just voting in person) but they arent committing some crime by mailing it a few days before the deadline but the Right is basically going to **** on their votes even though they did it the right way. How is that ok with you?

If a post mark date is good enough for the IRS why isnt it for the GOP?

You like to pretend we are the ones playing party politics here but only one party is asking for votes to not be counted. Well sorry but facts again dont back that up. And they are using a Pandemic to push it even farther because they just cant be be bothered to let the voice of the people actually decide who is in charge. (or they change the power structure after the fact because they are sore losers)
              My view is this. The legislature should set the rule. The rule should be publicized. Count the votes in accordance with the rule. Simple.

The problems come about whenever someone decides six months before the election that they'd like to change those rules. Leave the rules the way they are and no one should have any excuses.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

My view is this. The legislature should set the rule. The rule should be publicized. Count the votes in accordance with the rule. Simple.

The problems come about whenever someone decides six months before the election that they'd like to change those rules. Leave the rules the way they are and no one should have any excuses.
                There was kinda this big thing that happened this year, that made in-person gatherings dangerous and require a lot of changes.

You should look it up.
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

This is a lie. They did adopt the mailbox rule in Minnesota and actually printed the instruction ON THE BALLOT ENVELOPE that it needs to be postmarked on or before Nov. 3.
                  Even though I'm more conservative than any of you, I really hate the idea of having to rely on voter suppression to get a Republican in office. And Trumpian Nazis cheering it on as if it's morally laudable.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Bang on. Other than the military there is no good reason not to have your ballot in on Election Day. I say that with the caveat that this assumes you are sent your ballot in a timely manner.
                    In Philly the post office is delivering less than half the mail on time...by their own accord.

You are absolutely right when things are running smoothly...but why is everyone acting like the PO is running at even close to peak efficiency these days? Even if the administration and screwed with the PO with the amount of people who would be absentee voting because of the Pandemic would likely mean things would be delayed. I guess I dont see why we cant make an exception because of that.

Again I am telling everyone to just drop off their ballot at this point because I stopped trusting the PO this summer. But as long as things are on the up and up and they mail it on time and the ballot is filled out properly why should it not be counted? Even if you assume all the people waiting are lazy...laziness does not invalidate your vote if it is done correctly.

But hey...this hurts the military in Minnesota most likely more than it hurts the Biden voters if I had to bet.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Ding ding ding. Postal slowdowns are important here.

and I’d bet it hurts conservatives more with the overseas ballots.

Comment

• Let's not pretend that the current administration hasn't destroyed the Post Office. They have. Biden will fix it after he gets in.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

There was kinda this big thing that happened this year, that made in-person gatherings dangerous and require a lot of changes.

You should look it up.
                          I voted two weeks ago. No problem. My wife voted three weeks ago. No problem.

Comment

And normally I would agree 100% with you but we are kind of living in an unprecedented situation here. We make exceptions to the rules all the time when situations dictate it. Personally I would have rather the Secretary of State cut a deal with the Leg to make it work but we both know that would never happen especially with the GOP leadership.

I mean it isnt like just us flaming Libs are the ones at risk here. Military ballots are at risk (usually a GOP stronghold) as are rural areas that have COVID outbreaks and infrastructure issues. Hell I would say the Military is more at risk because if say my Dad fears his vote wont count if he mails it he can drive and vote and offset it. I dont want any of them to not be counted. The system only is legit if everyone who wants to vote has their voices heard.

The nice thing is the decision was made with enough time for people to vote if they have fear...but I still think this whole thing stinks and is not in the best interest of the voters (all of them) the State or the Country. Sometimes logic needs to over rule a stupid rule.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              This is a lie. They did adopt the mailbox rule in Minnesota and actually printed the instruction ON THE BALLOT ENVELOPE that it needs to be postmarked on or before Nov. 3.
                              Even though I'm more conservative than any of you, I really hate the idea of having to rely on voter suppression to get a Republican in office. And Trumpian Nazis cheering it on as if it's morally laudable.
                              If you're going to call me a liar, you had better be right. You are not.

Please read subdivision 3 of the attached statute. That is the actual law in Minnesota. What you are referring to is what Sec of State Steve Simon decided, on his own, what he thinks the law should be and therefore went ahead and printed on the ballot envelope.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/203B.08

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And normally I would agree 100% with you but we are kind of living in an unprecedented situation here. We make exceptions to the rules all the time when situations dictate it. Personally I would have rather the Secretary of State cut a deal with the Leg to make it work but we both know that would never happen especially with the GOP leadership.

I mean it isnt like just us flaming Libs are the ones at risk here. Military ballots are at risk (usually a GOP stronghold) as are rural areas that have COVID outbreaks and infrastructure issues. Hell I would say the Military is more at risk because if say my Dad fears his vote wont count if he mails it he can drive and vote and offset it. I dont want any of them to not be counted. The system only is legit if everyone who wants to vote has their voices heard.

The nice thing is the decision was made with enough time for people to vote if they have fear...but I still think this whole thing stinks and is not in the best interest of the voters (all of them) the State or the Country. Sometimes logic needs to over rule a stupid rule.
                                You voted, right? I did, it took me five minutes, and half the people on this board think I'm an idiot.

It wasn't that hard, covid or no covid.

My position, which is fix the rule and then don't monkey with the rule, is the fairest. Otherwise whatever party is in power is going to monkey with the rule, late in the game, to try to gain an advantage.

The thing that strikes me as the most ironic is that for all of the gnashing of teeth and fretting and complaining and worry about how hard it is going to be to vote this year, by the time we hit Tuesday more people will probably have voted than voted in the last election. Record numbers of people have already cast ballots. Is that a sign that it's really been that hard to vote?

Comment

Working...
                                X