Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Nate is batching because he hurt his reputation with his takes and people have started to tune him out across the board. That is why he is latching on to a somewhat credible report to pretend to be vindicated. He is becoming Dr. Drew.. at this rate in a year he will be Joe Rogan.

And no offense but i think you are gaslighting yourself when it comes to the public discourse of the lab leak theory. This isn't about what scientists were saying it is about what the public and factions in the media were saying. Or do you think it is just a coincidence that violence against Asians skyrocketed after COVID hit the US?

It doesn't matter how it started it matters what it became. It's why Swatzikas are not seen as symbols of peace by most and the Confederate flag is seen as a symbol of outright racism. Nate is supposedly smart enough to see that so he is willfully ignoring it so he can pat himself on the back. Maybe he thinks being an even geekier version of Elon is a smart play but no one else does.
    It is precisely about what the scientists were saying.

Again, there is no question that when the possibility that virus came from a lab was first discussed publicly, people who felt that there was a political or racial hatred agenda to be enhanced by trumpeting that came out of the woodwork. And that isn't right. They should have been shouted down or ignored or whatever.

But the correct response is not to respond by saying that you are confident it didn't come from a lab when they didn't know (and probably still don't know one way or the other), just to try to tamp down the extremism. Respond to the extremism in other ways.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• People have no patience anymore. Everyone demands an answer, and they want it yesterday.

What the medical community should have said in February and March of 2020 is this. We don't know if it came from a lab. We have no current evidence it did. We also don't know if it sprung from nature because we don't have any evidence as to how that might have occurred.

Here is what we can tell you. We will figure it out. It's going to take a long time, but ultimately we think we'll figure it out. But to claim it was a lab leak or claim it sprung from a chicken market in Wuhan, right now, is wrong and uninformed.

Then, just keep repeating that until you figure it out.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Handy's personalization of his opinions is always amusing. You can't be merely in disagreement with him, you have to be morally suspect. And, of course, he knows your motivations and he can see into your heart.

You missed your calling, man. You would have made a fine inquisitor.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          People have no patience anymore. Everyone demands an answer, and they want it yesterday.

What the medical community should have said in February and March of 2020 is this. We don't know if it came from a lab. We have no current evidence it did. We also don't know if it sprung from nature because we don't have any evidence as to how that might have occurred.

Here is what we can tell you. We will figure it out. It's going to take a long time, but ultimately we think we'll figure it out. But to claim it was a lab leak or claim it sprung from a chicken market in Wuhan, right now, is wrong and uninformed.

Then, just keep repeating that until you figure it out.
          Isn't that basically what was said? I don't think anyone said anything definitively either way. Even the ones campaigning against calling it a China Lab Leak. Were they not effectively trying to counter the other group of people effectively calling it a China Lab Leak? Sometimes politics has to fight against politics.

But everyone with even a smidgen of brain power could figure out that no one really knew the answer to anything.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            You can't be merely in disagreement with him, you have to be morally suspect. And, of course, he knows your motivations and he can see into your heart.
            And you're upset that he's stealing your bit?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Isn't that basically what was said? I don't think anyone said anything definitively either way. Even the ones campaigning against calling it a China Lab Leak. Were they not effectively trying to counter the other group of people effectively calling it a China Lab Leak? Sometimes politics has to fight against politics.

But everyone with even a smidgen of brain power could figure out that no one really knew the answer to anything.
              My personal recollection is that the people in the know were saying that it appeared it had sprung from nature, but they hadn't yet figured out how, or "connected the dots." But my recollection may be wrong, too. What Nate and others have been talking about was the paper issued in March of 2020 (which I did not read or recall) in which they supposedly stated with a high degree of confidence that it wasn't a lab leak, but likely came from nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

That’s what I recall. I believe fauci himself always said he was open to all the theories as it would take time to figure out- and that’s if china had any integrity to be honest. Several diseases have mutated in the wild. Also possible that it leaked from a lab that is known to study corona viruses.

Scientists didn’t like the “durrr it was leaked from wuhan lab” crowd because there was no proof

Comment

• It is kind of funny, but there is still sort of this anti-lab theory reaction in parts of the public, even now three years later. We've seen it in this thread. When someone reported the recent Energy Department report suggesting it may have been a lab leak, even though they only had low confidence in their conclusions due to thin supporting data, there was an immediate backlash on this board that is still sort of percolating.

I would think at this point that we'd be open to any theories or papers on the subject.

Comment

• Why do you cling to the edited reporting that Fauci, et al, thought it was a human-direct (gain of function, if you prefer to use a different term) thing? They were doing due diligence. They were alarmed that something could blow up so quickly out of nature. And then the right wing jerkoff machine twisted that into "SEE?! EVEN FOWCHI SAID IT WAS HUMANS".

Hovey, unless you're simply incapable of understanding this, you're being ridiculously obtuse.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

And you're upset that he's stealing your bit?
                      It's like IP counts for nothing these days.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

That’s what I recall. I believe fauci himself always said he was open to all the theories as it would take time to figure out- and that’s if china had any integrity to be honest. Several diseases have mutated in the wild. Also possible that it leaked from a lab that is known to study corona viruses.

Scientists didn’t like the “durrr it was leaked from wuhan lab” crowd because there was no proof
                        This.
                        Cornell University

Comment

The "foundation" of the lab leak theory wasn't a right wing conspiracy. These talented scientists, including people like Fauci, were seeing things in the virus that caused them to question how it could possibly spring from nature.
                          Ummm, no.

I have not seen one thing where anyone has said there are any indications of genetic manipulation or man- made creation of any part of the coronavirus. Try again, Mr " I'm not a Trump supporter nor a conspiracy theorist"
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Ummm, no.

I have not seen one thing where anyone has said there are any indications of genetic manipulation or man- made creation of any part of the coronavirus. Try again, Mr " I'm not a Trump supporter nor a conspiracy theorist"
                            But you don't understand. Heavily edited emails presented without context kinda sorta maybe could be interpreted that way......
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

People have no patience anymore. Everyone demands an answer, and they want it yesterday.

And that's exactly what they were saying. Along with the "most likely, it sprang from nature". You figure out what 'likely' means yet?

But then the usual suspects, and you know who they are, started clamoring about how no way this could have occurred naturally, and had to be released from a lab. And many of them pushing the released intentionally bit.

But you just keep on gaslighting, like you do.
                              Last edited by rufus; 03-02-2023, 01:48 PM.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

It is kind of funny, but there is still sort of this anti-lab theory reaction in parts of the public, even now three years later. We've seen it in this thread. When someone reported the recent Energy Department report suggesting it may have been a lab leak, even though they only had low confidence in their conclusions due to thin supporting data, there was an immediate backlash on this board that is still sort of percolating.

I would think at this point that we'd be open to any theories or papers on the subject.
                                For me, my issue was with drew saying that Jake Sullivan neither confirming or denying dept of energy report as conclusive. Sullivan was admitting it’s possible but the report itself said it had a low level of confidence.

some people reacted that the dept of energy wouldn’t know- well actually they would, as these top security labs are in their purview

Comment

Working...
                                X