Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

China unleashed the coronavirus on the US to kill Republican voters and help the Democrats win.
    While Fox and Republican leaders lied and downplayed it to drive up the conservative body count to... um... own the libs?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Kepler correctly summarized the point Nate, and this Nation article, are trying to make. Just because you don't like or trust someone who is making an argument about a scientific point, that doesn't mean you should simply reject that argument or label it a conspiracy theory or something.
      I'm not rejecting anything, and researchers aren't either. Saying there is no trace of active human intervention (or even passive human intervention) but that we're not confident about much else isn't "simply rejecting that argument".

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Personally, I really don't care about the source. I think it would be great if someone with the scientific expertise to do so would figure it out. I think that would be really useful.

If I were asked which way I'd prefer it come out, I guess personally I'd prefer to learn it was an intentional lead by some evil person somewhere. That outcome doesn't scare me at all. We can fix that problem.

If it turns out it was an accidental leak from a lab somewhere, that worries me a little more, but is not the worst case scenario. That just means it was human error, and we need to do better to prevent it from happening again.
      Kinda seams like you do care about the origins. You're using a lot of words to tell us how little you care.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      The one that worries me is the "arising out of nature" result. That just tells me the planet is trying to kill me, and is getting much better at it. That I don't think we can necessarily fix. But it would be really useful, scientifically, if we knew that to be the case.
      Well, my friend, get a helmet because the world is passively trying to kill you via fundamental acts of nature and sheer, brutal indifference.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Mother Nature has been in charge the whole time. The more we **** with her, the more she ****s with us.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• "The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent to the concerns of such puny creatures as we are."

- Carl Sagan
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

While Fox and Republican leaders lied and downplayed it to drive up the conservative body count to... um... own the libs?
            Yes.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Mother Nature has been in charge the whole time. The more we **** with her, the more she ****s with us.
              "God's a kid with an ant farm, lady. He isn't planning anything."
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Disease has been killing us for hundreds of thousands of years...that people pretend it still isn't is why our species is doomed.

And Nate Silver is a moronic egomaniac.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Lookup Kitum cave in Kenya if you want to be terrified. Most scientists believe Marburg and Ebola came from that specific cave

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    Lookup Kitum cave in Kenya if you want to be terrified. Most scientists believe Marburg and Ebola came from that specific cave
                    Guh. Just nuke it.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Which "he"?

Oh, Nate. Show me where I ever called him a "genius." The reason I like Nate is he is essentially me if I followed a different career path in the late 80s, one which would have been far more interesting than the one I settled for out of cowardice. He is top 1%, not top .1%. He's not a genius, he's just usually the most educated and circumspect person in the room.

Reading this over, I don't agree with his tone about "a certain cadre" but his overall opinion is correct: just because Nazis are citing something for their own purposes does not relieve scientists of the responsibility for testing a hypothesis. Obviously, the Right then attempts to use this to muddy the waters. They have endowed entire "think" (ahem) tanks to forge false results in order to feed their narratives and line their pockets, because they are a business operation. Nate should not exclude that from the calculation of how much time and energy real scientists should expend countering the frauds and criminals of the Right. But if Climate Change taught us something it's that just because a truth is inconvenient doesn't make it any less true.

I have no data. My intuition, which is worth nothing, is that COVID wasn't created in a lab any more than SARS or any other pandemic was. The media and politicians who repeat declarative statements about science they don't understand should be boiled in oil on the Nightly News. But we also have to insulate science from political pressure as much as we can, Fascist, Liberal, or even Left (although the last will never happen in America). Nate is saying "In science, you can't reject a hypothesis strictly because a Nazi is using it to foment hatred and disorder." There is nothing controversial about that statement.

We now return you to hysterical generalizations.
                      I'm not convinced he's even 1%. He's me but with monetary backing. He knows his way around a spreadsheet and got it right a few times. Cool spreadsheet bro. That's not 1%.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I'm not convinced he's even 1%. He's me but with monetary backing. He knows his way around a spreadsheet and got it right a few times. Cool spreadsheet bro. That's not 1%.
                        This about sums it up.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• It’s not that he thinks it was a lab leak that’s the problem, it’s that Mr. 70% Does Not Equal 100% is now pushing a low confidence report as fact because he didn’t like how people were mean to him for telling him to leave public health to public health experts. There are more department reports that point away from a lab leak than point to it, unless you give bonus points to the moderate confidence to the FBI.

And as others have said, the main reason there was pushback against the lab leak theory was because the foundation of it was rooted in a right wing conspiracy that China was purposefully exposing the globe to COVID. There have been cases of lab workers getting exposed to rabies because of faulty equipment, so of course it was possible for a lab worker to accidentally contract COVID and bring it into the public, but that’s entirely different than the CCP directing them to unleash a virus that would kill their own population before it reached anywhere else.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            It’s not that he thinks it was a lab leak that’s the problem, it’s that Mr. 70% Does Not Equal 100% is now pushing a low confidence report as fact because he didn’t like how people were mean to him for telling him to leave public health to public health experts. There are more department reports that point away from a lab leak than point to it, unless you give bonus points to the moderate confidence to the FBI.

And as others have said, the main reason there was pushback against the lab leak theory was because the foundation of it was rooted in a right wing conspiracy that China was purposefully exposing the globe to COVID. There have been cases of lab workers getting exposed to rabies because of faulty equipment, so of course it was possible for a lab worker to accidentally contract COVID and bring it into the public, but that’s entirely different than the CCP directing them to unleash a virus that would kill their own population before it reached anywhere else.
                            The "foundation" of the lab leak theory wasn't a right wing conspiracy. These talented scientists, including people like Fauci, were seeing things in the virus that caused them to question how it could possibly spring from nature.

At that point, when some of these scientists were questioning the "from nature" theory, or said that they might be leaning towards a leak from a lab (not even commenting on whether it was intentional or otherwise), the conspiracy theorists and China-haters took off with it and make it a big anti-China deal.

Then, at least partially to tamp down that anti-China propaganda and conspiracy theories, the scientists publicly stated that they had gained more confidence in the "sprung from nature" theory, without really identifying what it was that now made them so much more confident. That's what Nate and others are biatching about.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• After the revelations about the FBI and Trump the last few days I wouldnt trust them to be hall monitors.
                              Last edited by Handyman; 03-02-2023, 09:36 AM.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The "foundation" of the lab leak theory wasn't a right wing conspiracy. These talented scientists, including people like Fauci, were seeing things in the virus that caused them to question how it could possibly spring from nature.

At that point, when some of these scientists were questioning the "from nature" theory, or said that they might be leaning towards a leak from a lab (not even commenting on whether it was intentional or otherwise), the conspiracy theorists and China-haters took off with it and make it a big anti-China deal.

Then, at least partially to tamp down that anti-China propaganda and conspiracy theories, the scientists publicly stated that they had gained more confidence in the "sprung from nature" theory, without really identifying what it was that now made them so much more confident. That's what Nate and others are biatching about.
                                Nate is batching because he hurt his reputation with his takes and people have started to tune him out across the board. That is why he is latching on to a somewhat credible report to pretend to be vindicated. He is becoming Dr. Drew.. at this rate in a year he will be Joe Rogan.

And no offense but i think you are gaslighting yourself when it comes to the public discourse of the lab leak theory. This isn't about what scientists were saying it is about what the public and factions in the media were saying. Or do you think it is just a coincidence that violence against Asians skyrocketed after COVID hit the US?

It doesn't matter how it started it matters what it became. It's why Swatzikas are not seen as symbols of peace by most and the Confederate flag is seen as a symbol of outright racism. Nate is supposedly smart enough to see that so he is willfully ignoring it so he can pat himself on the back. Maybe he thinks being an even geekier version of Elon is a smart play but no one else does.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X