Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

We are getting it as soon as our health system starts giving them out. More confidence to travel.
    Ditto.

Also worth noting that mixing and matching and exposure to different viruses has had a fairly wide-ranging immune response. There was a small study in preprint that came out recently that said something like if you had gotten infected with Beta then got vaccinated, you had a 69x increase in immune response (not entirely sure what this encompassed, just neutralizing antibodies that waned after X months, or if it was more into the memory response) vs Omicron compared to Beta (21x). So a 3x increase vs a different variant than the original infection. Just crazy. Obviously preprint, but it implies that various trainings offered to the immune system provides a potentially significant protection against even future variants.

https://***********/sigallab/status/...DkPb82zVmEa9mA
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Ditto.

Also worth noting that mixing and matching and exposure to different viruses has had a fairly wide-ranging immune response. There was a small study in preprint that came out recently that said something like if you had gotten infected with Beta then got vaccinated, you had a 69x increase in immune response (not entirely sure what this encompassed, just neutralizing antibodies that waned after X months, or if it was more into the memory response) vs Omicron compared to Beta (21x). So a 3x increase vs a different variant than the original infection. Just crazy. Obviously preprint, but it implies that various trainings offered to the immune system provides a potentially significant protection against even future variants.

https://***********/sigallab/status/...DkPb82zVmEa9mA
      This seems to roughly match the few studies showing that spacing doses out more also helps a lot. The UK tried that - everyone gets dose 1, then everyone gets dose 2 - without a ton of success relative to other parts of the world, but it's tough comparing this with different vaccines and behavioral patterns.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

This seems to roughly match the few studies showing that spacing doses out more also helps a lot. The UK tried that - everyone gets dose 1, then everyone gets dose 2 - without a ton of success relative to other parts of the world, but it's tough comparing this with different vaccines and behavioral patterns.
        Yeah, the original trials (and I know you know this, just stating it out loud) were setup to save lives immediately. Otherwise we would have spaced the series out more. Probably several months. Much more robust response from what I understand. But the way we originally needed to get those trialed and out, we needed shots in arms fast because we were all still locked down pretty hard. Probably the reason why polio and other vaccines we get in childhood are spread out over months for the various courses.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I am not trying to talk anyone out of getting the 4th shot...but I doubt a 4th shot makes you that much safer travelling than shot 3 did. Seems like a bit of performative theater. (again unless you are old or compromised which I know some are)
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I am not trying to talk anyone out of getting the 4th shot...but I doubt a 4th shot makes you that much safer travelling than shot 3 did. Seems like a bit of performative theater. (again unless you are old or compromised which I know some are)
            Except it's not. We know it will boost neutralizing antibodies. If i had to guess, and that's exactly what this is, it's that a 4th shot prevents symptomatic infection for a couple more months and might provide some additional longer term protection. I don't think there would be much difference in death or maybe even hospitalization between 3x and 4x. We'll probably get it for flying overseas this fall. The reason is twofold: 1) To make sure we don't waste part of a trip and **** up all of our plans during the trip. 2) Make sure we don't get stranded on the backend and have to figure out flights home and additional hotels while ill (but not seriously) in a foreign country.
            Code:

Comment

Except it's not. We know it will boost neutralizing antibodies. If i had to guess, and that's exactly what this is, it's that a 4th shot prevents symptomatic infection for a couple more months and might provide some additional longer term protection. I don't think there would be much difference in death or maybe even hospitalization between 3x and 4x. We'll probably get it for flying overseas this fall. The reason is twofold: 1) To make sure we don't waste part of a trip and **** up all of our plans during the trip. 2) Make sure we don't get stranded on the backend and have to figure out flights home and additional hotels while ill (but not seriously) in a foreign country.
              That is exactly the argument - boost neutralizing antibodies at a time when Omicron is still a real thing (even if we're past the worst of it).

Put it this way. It isn't unhelpful, but its actual efficacy/value for non-immunocompromised people is pretty low at this time. But don't take my word for it. Ask your doctor.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Ok, so a few things all tangentially related to COVID.

1. Had our second close contact during the frozen four trip. Thankfully my wife's PCR and all of our rapids came up negative. Still waiting for my PCR because farking Walgreens screwed up my test. Two *ahem* dxmns were on their list for the day and I got the wrong one. Some rando kid. I wanted to say I'm fine just calling up Walgreens and telling them what the results were so they can pass it along if the other family would reciprocate. No dice. Had to go in yesterday to do a follow up. Good news for the kid, he was negative.

2. My dad got pretty sick today after he had stopped by (everyone in n95s) in a ventilated area so we could sign our taxes. That was weird.

Anyways, my heart immediate sank because I had the thought there was a chance I passed COVID to him. Obviously we didn't but just that momentary thought was ****ing awful.

3. Which brings me to my last point. My brother's family was apparently sick (not covid) and had my dad over earlier this week.

angryface
                Code:

Comment

Ok, so a few things all tangentially related to COVID.

1. Had our second close contact during the frozen four trip. Thankfully my wife's PCR and all of our rapids came up negative. Still waiting for my PCR because farking Walgreens screwed up my test. Two *ahem* dxmns were on their list for the day and I got the wrong one. Some rando kid. I wanted to say I'm fine just calling up Walgreens and telling them what the results were so they can pass it along if the other family would reciprocate. No dice. Had to go in yesterday to do a follow up. Good news for the kid, he was negative.

2. My dad got pretty sick today after he had stopped by (everyone in n95s) in a ventilated area so we could sign our taxes. That was weird.

Anyways, my heart immediate sank because I had the thought there was a chance I passed COVID to him. Obviously we didn't but just that momentary thought was ****ing awful.

3. Which brings me to my last point. My brother's family was apparently sick (not covid) and had my dad over earlier this week.

angryface
                  People are still behaving like this? ^^^

sharing stories about how they aren’t sick, don’t have cold symptoms, but could still be sick?

Its like some people don’t want Covid to end. It has given their life meaning and purpose.

Comment

• Trump judge just reversed mandate for masks in airport and transport hubs.

you know, one of the ones who never tried a case and was rated as unqualified. But republicans confirmed anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Trump judge just reversed mandate for masks in airport and transport hubs.

you know, one of the ones who never tried a case and was rated as unqualified. But republicans confirmed anyway
                      Wear a mask, wear two, stay at home, no one gives a shiit about your incessant whining.

If people breathing is a threat to you, stay away. No one is obligated to cater to your psychotic traits.

Comment

• Biden screwed this up, IMO. Should have let masks on planes go last month along with the testing requirement to return to the US, now Republicans have a double victory to claim. 1. No more masks and 2. T's judges are getting things done for y'all, now go vote in the midterms!

Dee da da da da dumb

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Biden screwed this up, IMO. Should have let masks on planes go last month along with the testing requirement to return to the US, now Republicans have a double victory to claim. 1. No more masks and 2. T's judges are getting things done for y'all, now go vote in the midterms!

Dee da da da da dumb
                          Europe stopped mask mandates form what I understand a month ago.
                          Code:

Comment

• Just to be accurate: The judge only struck down a portion of the cloth mask airplane mandate. A can of soda, or bag of pretzels already struck down the first 45 minutes worth of it. And a first class ticket struck down about 2 hours.

Honk

Comment

• With only Covidians wearing masks on airplanes now - at least you'll know who is likely to hit you with their copy of White Fragility, or throw their anti-depressant bottle at you.

Comment

Europe stopped mask mandates form what I understand a month ago.
                                Not on public transport or in airports/on planes.

Comment

Working...
                                X