Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just thought the board was really interested in my last post…
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Scumbag says how dare you defy doctors in a pandemic?

we live in the stupidest times

https://twitter.com/5dollarfeminist/...2Q0BctcU-pjRMQ

Comment

• Honk

One year ago today.

CDC Director: "Vaccinated people do not carry the virus”

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleMarti...06752780238851

4th shot is right around the corner!

These “vaccines” have the shelf life of a gallon of milk.

Comment

• Can a sane person actually believe that 5 shots of a vaccine formulated to protect from the 2019 version of covid will protect them this coming fall?

Comment

• Does the whole asymptomatic thing, people with no signs of disease, no symptoms of illness apply to all Covid variants indefinitely?

Honk

Comment

• BA.2 is snapping at our heels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                So why is BA.2 a variant of Omicron rather than a whole new variant? Does it have to do with the genetic structure and how different it is, like genus/species?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Scumbag says how dare you defy doctors in a pandemic?

we live in the stupidest times

https://twitter.com/5dollarfeminist/...2Q0BctcU-pjRMQ
                  We actually live in very smart times. It is just the very stupid people never improve, so as we advance they get farther and farther behind.

Eventually we will just have to domesticate them as strippers and soldiers and businessmen.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Eh, I mean, it has ticked up somewhat, but I don't think that's a result of BA.2 so much as it is people going out with fewer protections like we have been the last several months. If BA.2 is as transmissible as claimed, it means it's 30% more transmissible than the most infectious disease in history. So it's going to find every nook and cranny and available body to infect.

One other thing. Look at the data she's referencing. Ignore the top graph, that's obviously somewhat misleading given what Omicron does to y-axes. The actual increase in wastewater is still barely above the error bars from the prior weeks. And we're talking really low numbers to begin with.
                    https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

Here's the graph from the several months prior to Omicron. it was a steady increase from June/July through Sept/Oct and then Omicron took off.

More interesting, she's pointing to the UK as some sort of harbinger of things to come. Which is kind of crazy since it's already on the way down from the second peak and Germany is a much better example anyways. They haven't started coming back down from Omicron and they're only getting worse.

And let's make it very clear, your risk of dying from Omicron if you're boosted is less than a third of that of the flu. So even if you are infected, the risk is incredibly low. Even for hospitalization. Now, if you have other factors like being immunocompromised or caring for someone who is, yeah, definitely take greater precautions. But for the average person and a good margin more, it ain't gonna be Delta and for the public, it ain't gonna be Omicron.

What's this all mean? I dunno. Wear a mask if you want. Take precautions that fit your risk tolerance. My wife and I will be wearing our N95s at TD Garden next week. YMW(ill)V.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

So why is BA.2 a variant of Omicron rather than a whole new variant? Does it have to do with the genetic structure and how different it is, like genus/species?
                      Yes, as far as I understand. However, it's 30-40% more transmissible than BA.1 so that's kind of not ideal.

However, what makes me extremely curious is that the seroprevalence is over 80-90% here in the Northeast and our numbers are not spiking (they're going up ever so slightly, which requires watching). BA.1 gives substantial immunity to BA.2, so people who were recently sick/infected with BA.1 and have been vaccinated have very little to worry about. I think - hope? - that because BA.1 whalloped us so badly that BA.2 won't have sufficient fertile ground to truly take hold. The parts of the world that seem to be doing really poorly against BA.2 are places that didn't have substantial BA.1 waves (New Zealand, Hong Kong, China in general), have low elderly vaccination rates (Hong Kong, China) or took substantive measures against BA.1 and didn't burn as hot as we did here (most of Europe).
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Good question. No idea. Omicron is almost an entirely different animal. Seems to infect different areas of the body, spread indescribably fast, and not be that bad for most.

What I find interesting is that BA.1 and BA.2 were discovered within a week of each other, BA.2 actually before BA.1, and somehow BA.1 outcompeted it until now. Something has to have given BA.1 an edge until now. And if BA.2 is as infectious as described, it should have outcompeted. So the whole thing is kinda baffling to me. And more interestingly, BA.1.1 was dominant before BA.2.

So all of this makes me wonder if the latent period is longer for BA.2 than BA.1 (which was significantly shorter than even Delta and thus made it actually somewhat easier to spread initially but also made it more susceptible to rapid interventions). So that might be why BA.2 is outcompeting now. It might be more infectious but spread slower. I don't know. Just sh--itposting. I'm sure someone will figure it out.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Some info:
                          https://www.who.int/news/item/22-02-...ublineage-ba.2
                          (Remember, the prevalent version in the US was BA.1.1, not BA.1)

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...u-s-infections
                          Also, no real evidence that BA.2 came before BA.1
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                            Some info:
                            https://www.who.int/news/item/22-02-...ublineage-ba.2
                            (Remember, the prevalent version in the US was BA.1.1, not BA.1)

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...u-s-infections
                            Also, no real evidence that BA.2 came before BA.1
                            My mistake. It was first sequenced in a sample a week before BA.1 was reported by the WHO.

Edit:

More info:
                            On 26 November 2021, WHO designated it as a�? variant of concern�? and named it "Omicron" after the�? fifteenth letter in the Greek alphabet.[22]�? Omicron was first detected on 22 November 2021 in laboratories in�? Botswana�? and�? South Africa�? based on samples collected on 11�¢??16 November.[392][393]�? The first known sample was collected in South Africa on 8 November.[173][394]�? The first known case, outside of South Africa, was a person arriving in�? Hong Kong�? from South Africa via�? Qatar�? on 11 November, and another person who arrived in�? Belgium�? from�? Egypt�? via�? Turkey�? on the same date.[395][396]�? As of 7 January 2022, the variant has been confirmed in 135 countries.[397]�?
                            Edit 2: Not fixing that ****. Ugh.
                            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-30-2022, 05:02 PM.
                            Code:

Comment

Honk, Honk

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Edit 2: Not fixing that ****. Ugh.
                                I think if you do paste special flat text it will remove all the crap. But yeah it's unreadable.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X