Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

First, swansong will probably know best here.

But i'm going to wildly take a swing.

I don't think that's entirely true. Doctors can't just go randomly probing medical records. Most of the largest systems log who has seen your records and I'm guessing they audit those. Just because Prince is at your hospital doesn't mean you can open his records and see what happened. You need to have a reason. (I use that case specifically because they fired a bunch of people who viewed his records despite being RNs or maybe even an MD or two)
    Yeah, there's no "exclusion" in HIPAA, but as a covered entity (to wit: a healthcare organization) they do in fact have a "need-to-know" reason to access your medical history. I'm not sure about specialties like ophtalmologists (do they really need to know your vaccination status? I don't honestly know) and access to unrelated PHI, but I can say that our hand surgeons and phsyical therapists can access your whole chart. We may re-order things so that they're presented with specialty-specific info, but they can definitely access more. It is possible that this eye doctor's practice had very strict interpretations of HIPAA and that they were just exercising that.

A doctor would be violating HIPAA if they just opened up some rando's chart, but that sort of violation happens literally millions of times per day across the country. It only becomes a problem if it... becomes a problem. Like when dozens of idiots were fired for looking up Jussie Smollett's chart after his "incident".
    https://www.midlandhealth.org/Upload...uly%202019.pdf

Best practice is to stay the f out of charts where you don't belong.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

First, swansong will probably know best here.

But i'm going to wildly take a swing.

I don't think that's entirely true. Doctors can't just go randomly probing medical records. Most of the largest systems log who has seen your records and I'm guessing they audit those. Just because Prince is at your hospital doesn't mean you can open his records and see what happened. You need to have a reason. (I use that case specifically because they fired a bunch of people who viewed his records despite being RNs or maybe even an MD or two)
      I was more thinking that they are allowed to ask the question, not that they can just rifle your records.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I was more thinking that they are allowed to ask the question, not that they can just rifle your records.
        A covered entity is a covered entity, homie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

A covered entity is a covered entity, homie.
          -- Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., 510 U.S. 569 (1994)
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Asking a person about their medical information isn’t a violation of HIPAA.

HIPAA governs the disclosure of protected health information by covered entities that have possession of it (hospitals, insurance companies, employers, etc…). The law provides certain instances where the entities can disclose the information. However, it can always be disclosed if the subject authorizes it.

Thus, you getting asked whether you are vaccinated can’t violate it because first, there is no disclosure to a third party, and second, you answering the question is essentially your authorization, is it not?
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Some interesting data from Australia- a possibility of death chart https://www.immunisationcoalition.or...s_included.pdf

Sorry for the Moderna people, the original's down under were AZ (not here in the US) or Pfizer. In my age range, an unvaccinated person is 27.5x more likely to die than me. So much for the idea that the vaccines don't do anything.

Comment

• This bar is close to mukilteo, the place in WA that has taken to kill a mockingbird off the curriculum

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w..._6J53qgbmdED-o

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Asking a person about their medical information isn’t a violation of HIPAA.

HIPAA governs the disclosure of protected health information by covered entities that have possession of it (hospitals, insurance companies, employers, etc…). The law provides certain instances where the entities can disclose the information. However, it can always be disclosed if the subject authorizes it.

Thus, you getting asked whether you are vaccinated can’t violate it because first, there is no disclosure to a third party, and second, you answering the question is essentially your authorization, is it not?
                  Correct. And there can certainly be a difference between what HIPAA requires and what a provider’s own employment policies require of its employees, so long as the federal law’s requirements are met or exceeded. In other words an employee could violate internal employee regulations without violating HIPAA

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

It is commong to answer when doing the MyChart eCheck In, and then when you go to actually check in at the desk. When was the third incidence?

Also, they didn't ask if you're vaccinated because they likely know already (I worked on the interface with the state). They should have confirmed, but I don't work in practice management
                    The office called me to pre-register. I honestly don't recall if it was a question on the myChart questionnaire. Could've been there. I did ask my doctor during my appointment and she showed me my medical records that had all three shots listed, so that was good to see. I did get my first Shingles vaccine and go back for my second one in 2-6 months. More unknown stuff injected into my body!! When will it end???? Guys can get the Shingles vaccine, right? Have any of you gotten it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

The office called me to pre-register. I honestly don't recall if it was a question on the myChart questionnaire. Could've been there. I did ask my doctor during my appointment and she showed me my medical records that had all three shots listed, so that was good to see. I did get my first Shingles vaccine and go back for my second one in 2-6 months. More unknown stuff injected into my body!! When will it end???? Guys can get the Shingles vaccine, right? Have any of you gotten it?
                      I got it. I didn't really have any reaction to it other than some soreness in the shoulder after both shots.

Strangely enough, I never had chickenpox as a kid, even though my siblings did, along with numerous friends. My doctor told me one day that I had it, I was just one of the lucky people who didn't have the symptoms.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• That reminds me, I need to get the shingles vaccine. I had it last year, and it was not fun. Like someone stabbing a knife into my forehead above my eye for two weeks.

Do not want to go through that again. Although getting shingles did allow me to discover gabapentin, which has been awesome in helping me sleep. Crazy dreams with that stuff.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

That office has had, effectively, a generational turnover these last 6 months to go along with the admin/support staff churning like crazy. We've been trying to work with them to leverage the MyChart pre-visit stuff more (we're running a test with another, smaller, clinic that's shown enormous time saving improvements by doing so), but unfortunately there's still enough of the old guard that simply doesn't trust technology.

On the bright side, the new provider staff they're bringing in are absolutely terrific. As much as the office is a headache for me, I would recommend them to anyone else in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            That reminds me, I need to get the shingles vaccine. I had it last year, and it was not fun. Like someone stabbing a knife into my forehead above my eye for two weeks.

Do not want to go through that again. Although getting shingles did allow me to discover gabapentin, which has been awesome in helping me sleep. Crazy dreams with that stuff.
                            I didn't think it was a yearly shot???

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              That reminds me, I need to get the shingles vaccine. I had it last year, and it was not fun. Like someone stabbing a knife into my forehead above my eye for two weeks.

Why didn’t you take Ivermectin? That’s on you for suffering unnecessarily.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I didn't think it was a yearly shot???
                                I don't think it is either. A friend recently had it and is recommending the vaccine.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X