Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
    Buster- it's not the risk, it's the effort that we've not gotten the influenza vaccine before.

Again, it's not just a risk of death thing- when was the last time influenza overwhelmed hospitals? If it did, I probably would have done my part and get a vaccine. But it's never done that- the worse the flu has ever done was close one or two schools in a community.

The system math changed with COVID. And I changed along with it.

So far, the math that if you don't get the vaccine is still playing out, but the people who deserve the abuse are the ones actively trying to tell people to not get it, and at the same time fighting all efforts to stem the tide. As if they want the hospital system to get overwhelmed and people to die.

Also, even though you seem to think the vaccines are the same thing, I also think they are not- since the old method took a lot of time, the creators had to project into the future a lot, so the effectiveness was sometimes 50/50. If the system changes to the faster development system that COVID got- it's accuracy will become greatly enhanced- which also makes the effort to get one more useful.

Even though I had not gotten an influenza vaccine, I never told people that they should not get one, or that they should go to work/school even though they are clearly sick, etc. So please reconsider your equivalency.
    1. hospitals everywhere aren’t overwhelmed.

2. Moron

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-h...-flu-patients/

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...htmlstory.html

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/...die-top-doctor

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health...ents-1.1108376

News flash as the population continues to grow, gets older, gets fatter, gets more unhealthy by the day… Hospitals will be full.

Your Health is Your Responsibility

Comment

Buster- it's not the risk, it's the effort that we've not gotten the influenza vaccine before.

Again, it's not just a risk of death thing- when was the last time influenza overwhelmed hospitals? If it did, I probably would have done my part and get a vaccine. But it's never done that- the worse the flu has ever done was close one or two schools in a community.

The system math changed with COVID. And I changed along with it.

So far, the math that if you don't get the vaccine is still playing out, but the people who deserve the abuse are the ones actively trying to tell people to not get it, and at the same time fighting all efforts to stem the tide. As if they want the hospital system to get overwhelmed and people to die.

Also, even though you seem to think the vaccines are the same thing, I also think they are not- since the old method took a lot of time, the creators had to project into the future a lot, so the effectiveness was sometimes 50/50. If the system changes to the faster development system that COVID got- it's accuracy will become greatly enhanced- which also makes the effort to get one more useful.

Even though I had not gotten an influenza vaccine, I never told people that they should not get one, or that they should go to work/school even though they are clearly sick, etc. So please reconsider your equivalency.
      The current risks are not the same, sure. That could change tomorrow. You not getting vaccinated increases the likelihood the flu mutates into Captain Trips-level sh-t on a faster timeline. Flu shots are cheap- even free- widely accessible, and backed by science. Basically, little risk or time spent getting one, but good benefits for you and for society. Win, win.

Comment

• I am feeling really dumb, because I can't seem to square what the argument is even being made here. That people who think we should have covid mandates don't get the flu vaccine? Like, ok, sure.

One is a weapon of mass destruction and the other is an ak-47. Rarely can you apply similar lines of thinking to any two things that differ by orders of magnitude.

You can't just handwave the fact that these are two extraordinarily different things.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

The current risks are not the same, sure. That could change tomorrow. You not getting vaccinated increases the likelihood the flu mutates into Captain Trips-level sh-t on a faster timeline. Flu shots are cheap- even free- widely accessible, and backed by science. Basically, little risk or time spent getting one, but good benefits for you and for society. Win, win.
          Technically, it did change. And I did get the vaccine. Done.

Comment

The flu never really overwhelmed any hospital in the country
            This is false. I have been in multiple hospital systems that are overwhelmed during bad influenza seasons. In medical school, we lost our team room during one season as it was converted to a patient room to help with the overflow.
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Society has always had neurotics and hypochondriacs. Usually you left them alone or rolled your eyes at them. Covid empowered the whack jobs.

Comment

• Only way this story could be more TX is if somebody got shot.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

This is false. I have been in multiple hospital systems that are overwhelmed during bad influenza seasons. In medical school, we lost our team room during one season as it was converted to a patient room to help with the overflow.
                  I should have said "all" instead of "any." Has there been multiple across the country at the same time like there is now?

Comment

I should have said "all" instead of "any." Has there been multiple across the country at the same time like there is now?
                    There certainly are frequent events that overwhelm a region, even in mild or moderate influenza seasons. It was a long time ago, but I had a prolonged argument with Bob Gray on this subject as I generally support stringent influenza vaccination requirements for healthcare providers as the systems that have a strong requirements have lower morbidity from hospital acquired influenza. I look it as a similar issue of having a personal choice to not wash my hands (I do not have that choice).

There are a lot of misconceptions out there about how the hospital system works in the US. Most hospitals are at or near capacity at all times. Empty beds=losing money. Idle staff=losing money. There is no built in flex to our systems. Certainly, the current pandemic is unprecedented but similar issues happen routinely in a hospital system. I worked at a 1000+ bed hospital, blocks away from another 1000+ bed hospital for 5 years in training. Both were >95% capacity at nearly all times of my training. Patients would be accepted for transfer and could take days to weeks for a bed to open up. Our hospital had 100+ ICU beds, and there are several times I was forced to provide ICU level care in a hallway as there were no ICU beds (or crash beds) available. I have provided 48 hours of care for an acute stroke in the emergency room, discharged the patient to rehab all before a bed opens up in the hospital. This most often happened during flu season but it can happen at other times.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• AOC has the 'Rona
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I am feeling really dumb, because I can't seem to square what the argument is even being made here. That people who think we should have covid mandates don't get the flu vaccine? Like, ok, sure.

One is a weapon of mass destruction and the other is an ak-47. Rarely can you apply similar lines of thinking to any two things that differ by orders of magnitude.

You can't just handwave the fact that these are two extraordinarily different things.
                        I've read multiple posts on this board that assault rifles (such as an AK-47) should be banned because they are built for only one purpose: killing people. WMDs have the same purpose but they are much more efficient. WMDs kill many but are infrequently utilized. AK-47s kill fewer but are used far more frequently. The ONLY equivalence between the two is that they both kill and maim people. Unfortunately, we don't have a easy method to get rid of either of these. But let's say some brilliant person comes up with two fantastic ideas. One will decrease the possibility that WMDs will be used and would limit the number of deaths from them. The other idea will limit the use of AK-47s and thereby decreasing the number of deaths from them. Let's say that both ideas are an extremely low risk proposition and are easily obtainable. The WMD idea seems to be somewhat more efficient than the AK-47 one but both still decrease the number of deaths. Should we not utilize the AK-47 idea simply because it's a less efficient killer and the idea to decrease the deaths caused by AK-47s doesn't work as well? No. We would want to implement both ideas because even though AK-47s don't kill as many people and the problem fix isn't as good, we still saving many lives with little effort. Now replace WMDs with COVID and AK-47s with Influenza. They're not equivalent but they both kill people and we actually do have a fantastic idea to limit both of them. It's called a vaccine. Should we not use a flu vaccine simply because COVID kills more people?

The points I am trying to make are as follows:
                        1. COVID-19 virus and Influenza viruses both cause significant mortality and morbidity. Not to the same extent but both kill people.
                        2. Different portions of the population have different levels of risk from the diseases caused from each virus and a certain portion of the population have an extremely low risk to the point that contracting the illness will pose no hardship to them.
                        3. Vaccination against each virus can decrease the mortality and morbidity for both the person and for the population as a whole (again at varying efficacy)
                        4. If you are one of the lucky ones who are at very low risk from the Dz, the only reason to get vaccinated is to help out those who are at risk
                        5. Telling a low risk person to get a COVID vaccine in order to help the population but not getting a flu vaccine because you are low risk (and therefore the only reason to get one is to help the population) is hypocrisy
                        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                        Groucho Marx
                        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                        Ron White
                        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                        Milo Bloom

Comment

• “What the vaccines can't do anymore is prevent transmission." CDC Director Walensky

Comment

• Jesus. I knew you'd miss the point. Reminder to myself, never use a gun analogy with a Republican. They won't get it.

The point is, get rid of both. Get the vaccines and stop being an *******. iF you don't and don't have an exceptionally good reason, you're an *******. Regardless of whether that person pushes people to get the covid vaccine and not the flu. In the latter case, they're both an ******* and a hypocrite.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Jesus. I knew you'd miss the point. Reminder to myself, never use a gun analogy with a Republican. They won't get it.

The point is, get rid of both. Get the vaccines and stop being an *******. iF you don't and don't have an exceptionally good reason, you're an *******. Regardless of whether that person pushes people to get the covid vaccine and not the flu. In the latter case, they're both an ******* and a hypocrite.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/JewishResister/s...07490034552832

“Vaccine Police” anti-vaxxer Christopher Key has a new conspiracy for his moronic MAGA followers to cure Covid: Drink their own urine. “The antidote is urine therapy. God’s given us everything we need... This vaccine is the worst bioweapon I've ever seen." JFC #DemVoice1
                                Jeb's mom must be the healthiest person on the planet!
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X