Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

It was a joke at Kep for always stating things should’ve never changed past 1960. The AL and NL should only be eight teams, the worst thing the NHL did was cross the Mississippi, etc.

SNL has been good this year. I think it helps that Trump is out. When the absurd becomes reality, suddenly SNL isn’t satire as much as a paraphrased recap. That loses its steam after awhile. It also helps Kate has been out. Allowed for more of the cast to be the main in sketches.
    I kinda thought I was the target; I appreciated it.

The worst thing the NHL did was cross the 40th parallel.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• So, Kep--are you still planning to fly to Nodak for the series? Looks like they will have a stretch of warm weather up there, which should help. Whatever happens on the ice, I'm sure you will find your contacts with Daks intellectually stimulating.

Comment

• I saw on the news here in MA that they're re-opening more mass vaccination sites, like Fenway. Which is good. But I'm wondering if they should be opening more testing sites for the time being. I also wonder if they should open those satellite treatment sites, like when they had beds at the Convention Center, to help with alleviating hospital overcrowding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

I'm glad you guys didn't have serious issues!

My girlfriend also got really sick around that time. Similar-to-Covid symptoms. Who knows, it may have been. But considering how insanely transmissible even the OG version was, I have a real hard time believing that Covid was circulating so widely here in January/February 2020 before it was properly noticed. Unless you travel to China, anyway. That was a particularly bad winter for upper respiratory infections; I got sick twice actually, in December and January.
          I suspect it was here, too- I had odd symptoms after a trip in Feb 2020. Pretty mild, but a cough that really didn't go away, and I thought I had a mild fever, too. The cruise we were on prohibited anyone from Asia on the ship if they entered the country less than 2 weeks from the sailing.

Then again, way before that, my wife had a really bad cough for a couple of months after a trip to Puerto Rico in July '19. We wonder if that was an early version.

Based on all of the timing that has been figured out, there's no way that it contained in China when they found it- it had to have flown out well before anyone was aware of how bad this was.

Comment

• Finally seeing real data supporting the booster- Henry Ford Hospital is reporting that 95% of their patients do not have the 3rd shot (and 65% are not even vaccinated).https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronaviru...-officials-say

So get boosted when you are eligible.

(Michigan Medicine has not separated the data- but most breakthrough cased are high risk- not sure if they have a booster or not)
            Last edited by MichVandal; 01-05-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I suspect it was here, too- I had odd symptoms after a trip in Feb 2020. Pretty mild, but a cough that really didn't go away, and I thought I had a mild fever, too. The cruise we were on prohibited anyone from Asia on the ship if they entered the country less than 2 weeks from the sailing.

Then again, way before that, my wife had a really bad cough for a couple of months after a trip to Puerto Rico in July '19. We wonder if that was an early version.

Based on all of the timing that has been figured out, there's no way that it contained in China when they found it- it had to have flown out well before anyone was aware of how bad this was.
              Earliest indications (I can't find the link I read recently) were that it did not appear unitl November-December of 2019, althought with the CCP you simply never know. It simply exploded from there after China meekly tried to contain it, and by late March of 2020 it was fully global. Considering how quickly variants explode, I can't imagine the timeline realistically started much earlier. I have zero faith in the CCP, however we have oceans of data to sort of support that as a rough starting point.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I don't know who Seth Meyers is, but he's got the 'VID.
                Seth Meyers

I saw on Twitter that Jimmy Fallon also caught it. I think. I may have been scrolling too fast.

Comment

Earliest indications (I can't find the link I read recently) were that it did not appear unitl November-December of 2019, althought with the CCP you simply never know. It simply exploded from there after China meekly tried to contain it, and by late March of 2020 it was fully global. Considering how quickly variants explode, I can't imagine the timeline realistically started much earlier. I have zero faith in the CCP, however we have oceans of data to sort of support that as a rough starting point.
                  And keep in mind, it had a significantly lower effective transmission rate because the time between infection and symptoms was several days longer at the shortest and up to two weeks. And the viral load was orders of magnitude lower than with delta and omicron. The first spread fast, but it's almost like comparing a model T to a Ferrari.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                    So, Kep--are you still planning to fly to Nodak for the series? Looks like they will have a stretch of warm weather up there, which should help. Whatever happens on the ice, I'm sure you will find your contacts with Daks intellectually stimulating.
                    No I blew all my leave when my kid was in town. I'm not going to do any adventuring until the plague ends. It sucks because I have missed out on a bunch of places I would have loved to go. I couldn't even go to Tempe and I own a freaking house there. :-(
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There has been some evidence to indicate it may have, I stress may have, been infecting people in China as early as September of 2019. They just didn't realize what was going on at the time since there were so few cases initially.

We do know that people in America got it before the first cases in Washington were being reported. I think, for now, they have traced the first case to someone in Colorado, but I can't remember how much earlier it was before the Washington cases occurred.

I agree with those that say people were carrying this virus around the world well before anyone realized what was happening. We had no hope of containing this at the start.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• I may not know anything (check) but I always assume that breakouts are months older than the records because it just takes a while to get a connection between somebody sick and somebody who puts numbers into databases. A huge number of people, when they get sick, just are sick. They walk around sick, go to work sick, go to the bar sick, and just deal. It wouldn't even occur to them to go to the hospital because (1) they can't afford treatment and (2) they can't afford to be diagnosed sick because then they can't draw a paycheck.

A non-trivial portion of the population just doesn't hold with doctors. It's not ideological, it's just they don't fit in with their identity. Remember, we have libraries in a country where half the population never reads a book after high school. A big ol' chunk of the population deals with their problems by ignoring them.

And that's here. Now imagine western China, or someplace like that. I can't imagine what it is like in those people's heads.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2022, 02:43 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I agree with those that say people were carrying this virus around the world well before anyone realized what was happening. We had no hope of containing this at the start.
                          Yeah with everything moving so global by the time you notice it it's already everywhere. Shutting down plane flights is closing the barn door after the horses are out; addressing it is always going to be through vaccinating and treating.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

No I blew all my leave when my kid was in town. I'm not going to do any adventuring until the plague ends. It sucks because I have missed out on a bunch of places I would have loved to go. I couldn't even go to Tempe and I own a freaking house there. :-(
                            Two homes? 1%'er.

Comment

I may not know anything (check) but I always assume that breakouts are months older than the records because it just takes a while to get a connection between somebody sick and somebody who puts numbers into databases. A huge number of people, when they get sick, just are sick. They walk around sick, go to work sick, go to the bar sick, and just deal. It wouldn't even occur to them to go to the hospital because (1) they can't afford treatment and (2) they can't afford to be diagnosed sick because then they can't draw a paycheck.

A non-trivial portion of the population just doesn't hold with doctors. It's not ideological, it's just they don't fit in with their identity. Remember, we have libraries in a country where half the population never reads a book after high school. A big ol' chunk of the population deals with their problems by ignoring them.

And that's here. Now imagine western China, or someplace like that. I can't imagine what's it is like in those people's heads.
                              The part about not reporting being sick isn't policial. It's just the nature of people- be it that they are work-aholics or worried about the cost of getting sick (either lost earnings or the cost of going to a doctor). Add to that, for many people, this virus was mostly a bad cold- and when was the last time you went to a doctor for a cold- let alone stayed home from work.

Now that we know how deadly it is, attitudes change. So much so, people are quitting due to work issues. And this is where I have issue with Chicago and the teachers- Chicago just talks about the kids, the teachers have to think for themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Two homes? 1%'er.
                                Camus has a character in The Fall who says, there are only 2 questions: do you have property, and do you share it with the poor.

My answers and yes and no. And that's why I'm going to hell like John Constantine.

Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2022, 02:52 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X