Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
    Btw, drew, where are you getting your data? I found one site in your state that current hospitalizations is just under 400, and sum of all breakthrough hospitalizations is 484.
    This says 1513 and 448 https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...onse-reporting

It sounds like this one tries to use a very strict definition of fully vaccinated. I forget exactly where I got yesterday’s figures from.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I know, and honestly don’t like to do it. I just don’t think the risk is anywhere close to low enough for vaccinated folks to be trying what we are trying and am pretty confident it will end in tears.
      What are we trying?
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• I think we're trying to pretend it's not still dangerous out there. That people are going out to crowded theaters and bars and hockey games is absolutely mind-blowing. People are so addicted to consumerism that they won't die for the Dow but they will die for Disney.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Stop to think for a minute how bad Covid would be if Omicrom and Delta would have been widely circulating 12 months ago, just before vaccines first got the approval to be used in the general public.

In the earliest days of the pandemic some thought it would be summer of 2021 at the earliest before we would see an effective vaccine. Some thought it might be fall of 2021. Had the vaccine only been made available in September of this year on a widespread basis rather than January, it is likely hundreds of thousands more would be dead. 60,000 people died in September of 2021 alone when virtually anyone 16 or older had easy access to a vaccine. Without a vaccine how many would have died in just September?

Even with fully two thirds of this country vaccinated (and when you subtract the kids under 5 who are almost 100% unvaccinated that number is significantly higher) we are still seeing hospitalizations in many places as bad or worse than they were at the very worst times of the pandemic in 2020. We are seeing off the charts numbers of positive tests. We are seeing 1300 deaths a day, which is as bad or worse than many of the early weeks of the pandemic before vaccines, before we knew anything about effective treatments.

How many would be dead without the vaccines? Many millions in this country alone I would guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            Stop to think for a minute how bad Covid would be if Omicrom and Delta would have been widely circulating 12 months ago, just before vaccines first got the approval to be used in the general public.

In the earliest days of the pandemic some thought it would be summer of 2021 at the earliest before we would see an effective vaccine. Some thought it might be fall of 2021. Had the vaccine only been made available in September of this year on a widespread basis rather than January, it is likely hundreds of thousands more would be dead. 60,000 people died in September of 2021 alone when virtually anyone 16 or older had easy access to a vaccine. Without a vaccine how many would have died in just September?

Even with fully two thirds of this country vaccinated (and when you subtract the kids under 5 who are almost 100% unvaccinated that number is significantly higher) we are still seeing hospitalizations in many places as bad or worse than they were at the very worst times of the pandemic in 2020. We are seeing off the charts numbers of positive tests. We are seeing 1300 deaths a day, which is as bad or worse than many of the early weeks of the pandemic before vaccines, before we knew anything about effective treatments.

How many would be dead without the vaccines? Many millions in this country alone I would guess.
            This is all frightening and correct. Delta was a full reset button, effectively. Preliminary data on Omicron looks like we may be catching a break - its infectiousness far out-competes even Delta, but so far the anecdata has shown that, at least among the vaccinated/previously infected, severity is much more mild. We cannot bet on that yet, but at some point anecdata becomes regular data...
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Still, if its 3, 4 or however many times more contagious, even if it's less severe overall, just the sheer numbers of those sickened means the number hospitalized, and dying may stay relatively the same overall.
              Last edited by rufus; 12-21-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I think we're trying to pretend it's not still dangerous out there. That people are going out to crowded theaters and bars and hockey games is absolutely mind-blowing. People are so addicted to consumerism that they won't die for the Dow but they will die for Disney.
                100% this.

Comment

100% this.
                  You can't convince the ones without vaccines to get the vaccine. You think you're going to convince them to stay home? I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that those of us who have the vaccine are also the ones that are the most careful about going out in public.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

This is all frightening and correct. Delta was a full reset button, effectively. Preliminary data on Omicron looks like we may be catching a break - its infectiousness far out-competes even Delta, but so far the anecdata has shown that, at least among the vaccinated/previously infected, severity is much more mild. We cannot bet on that yet, but at some point anecdata becomes regular data...
                    Anecdata. Love it.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

You can't convince the ones without vaccines to get the vaccine. You think you're going to convince them to stay home? I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that those of us who have the vaccine are also the ones that are the most careful about going out in public.
                      It’s not all about the covidiots. I was at Costco last night and only a quarter to a third of the folks in there had masks on. I’m sure a lot of those without masks are vaccinated and want to do the right thing but believe masks are out right now. A lot of people view this in binary terms but the reality is quite different.

Comment

• In a good example of why every election matters my local school board (with a liberal majority) voted to override the superintendent’s decision to end a mask mandate in schools here in Anchorage, keeping it in place for at least two weeks when the kids go back January.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I think we're trying to pretend it's not still dangerous out there. That people are going out to crowded theaters and bars and hockey games is absolutely mind-blowing. People are so addicted to consumerism that they won't die for the Dow but they will die for Disney.
                          Most people don't fear dying of covid, and make lifestyle choices accordingly.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

You can't convince them to get the vaccine. You can't convince them to quarantine if exposed. You can't convince them to stay home, you can't convince them to wear masks, you can't convince them to not gather in numbers.

So Drew, what do you do?

Comment

It’s not all about the covidiots. I was at Costco last night and only a quarter to a third of the folks in there had masks on. I’m sure a lot of those without masks are vaccinated and want to do the right thing but believe masks are out right now. A lot of people view this in binary terms but the reality is quite different.
                              Or, maybe they're all covidiots.

Why don't you ask them, and then get back to us.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Decided to take a cheap midweek stay up in Duluth because we needed to have a night away.

There have been precisely two people wearing masks that we've seen up here, both were the servers at Vikre who sold us the to go cocktail kit.

**** me. It's worse than the cities up here. Literally no one in masks.
                                Mexico isn't screwing around. Masks everywhere and temp checks and sanitizers.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X