Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So basically, the r plan is to treat every health issue just like guns. Not something we can control or talk about.

That's incredible that scientists are being asked to political WRT a scientific - medical issue. This is pressing the cutting education a lot too far.

We were offered tickets to the Orange bowl (to buy them at face value), and we quickly turned them down because of how Florida has dealt with this virus. They continue to go out of their way to murder their own citizens for some kind of political gain. I've not trusted the data coming out of their state for months, since they explicitly said they are going to suppress it.

In the end, the rea group that is likely to suffer are the retirees that moved there- we have very much seen the impact the virus has had on hospitals and healthcare. The more they suppress the data, and pretend that the full hospitals are not real, the more people will stop wanting to work there. I've seen what happens when your healthcare is abused like that, and it's pretty terrifying to consider retirement in an area like that.

Comment

• Apparently Pfizer is saying that their dual shot and booster combined is pretty effective against Omicron.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Apparently Pfizer is saying that their dual shot and booster combined is pretty effective against Omicron.
        I get my booster tomorrow. :-)
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

That's kind of what I was assuming, too. IIRC, ebola spreads very easily, but being so deadly, it doesn't have a lot of time to spread- that could be very wrong...

But the common cold virus is hardly deadly, so it has incredible opportunity to spread because people don't isolate themselves. Which is why it's still out there. For instance, someone I knew was at a game recently where they stormed the field. And he got a cold for the first time in 2 years. Someone with the flu may not have gone to the game, and COVID has even more chance that the person would stay home.
          I think there's a general bell curve. Too severe and, like ebola or marburg or other viciously deadly viruses, and you don't give people a chance to spread. Too mild, though, and the virus doesn't really do much to a given host and doesn't replicate as well (at least, outside the post-infection but pre-symptom stage, which varies wildly between viruses). Remember, the virus needs to infect and take over a cell before it can replicate. Doing so typically results in some sort of symptoms (though not always). HIV is a good example of the sort-of sweet spot where you can be infected for years, but not really symptomatic, and still contagious.

The point is that infectiousness is the main driver of whether a given mutation will crowd out others. Severity is in the car, but infectiousness is the driver.
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Also, I agree with Scarlet. I'm facing something similar with one of my brothers.

Brother 1: Trumpy idiot who thinks covid is nonsense and refuses a vaccine, masking, or testing (because he "doesn't need it").
            Brother 2: vaccinated and boosted, with a pregnant wife who's also vaccinated and boosted, and a 3 year old who can't be vaccinated yet
            Dad: Vaccinated and boosted.

All plan to come here for Christimas. We've collectively asked Brother 1 to take a rapid test upon arrival. So far, he refuses because he's not sick. I pointed out that we aren't asking him to vaccinate or do anything else, just to take the test when entering my home. Refuses. Flatly refuses. I also pointed out that my girlfriend will need to rearrange her travel so she can avoid him before she goes to see her parents. "No she doesn't, and if she thinks she does that's her problem".

The selfishness is mind boggling. So much as taking a rapid test upon arrival is seen as admission that he's been wrong. Fox News has destroyed us.

Comment

• That's just awful. I hope you can all come to a resolution. Or have a secret celebration without him.

Comment

• I even told him that if he is positive that I'd 100% quarantine with him, that he's my brother and I love him and can't wait to have him here. I haven't seen his dumb *** in 2 years and I really miss him, despite his being a moron about this. I didn't pitch it as an ultimatum, just asking him to do us this tiny favor.

A bridge too far, apparently.

Comment

• I thought Pfizer said it was good not great. something like a 50% reduction in neutralization relative to wild type. Which may still equate to some high percentage of effectiveness.

The t and B cell protection is where they are saying it's still good to great and should protect against severe.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                    Also, I agree with Scarlet. I'm facing something similar with one of my brothers.

Brother 1: Trumpy idiot who thinks covid is nonsense and refuses a vaccine, masking, or testing (because he "doesn't need it").
                    Brother 2: vaccinated and boosted, with a pregnant wife who's also vaccinated and boosted, and a 3 year old who can't be vaccinated yet
                    Dad: Vaccinated and boosted.

All plan to come here for Christimas. We've collectively asked Brother 1 to take a rapid test upon arrival. So far, he refuses because he's not sick. I pointed out that we aren't asking him to vaccinate or do anything else, just to take the test when entering my home. Refuses. Flatly refuses. I also pointed out that my girlfriend will need to rearrange her travel so she can avoid him before she goes to see her parents. "No she doesn't, and if she thinks she does that's her problem".

The selfishness is mind boggling. So much as taking a rapid test upon arrival is seen as admission that he's been wrong. Fox News has destroyed us.
                    JFC. Sorry man. What an a-ss.

and sorry to hear about your story too scarlet.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Also, two people in my department died today from COVID.
                      Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I thought Pfizer said it was good not great. something like a 50% reduction in neutralization relative to wild type. Which may still equate to some high percentage of effectiveness.

The t and B cell protection is where they are saying it's still good to great and should protect against severe.
                        I still think we are 1-3 weeks away from solidified data. Everything up through now has been small sample size, lab bench or retrospective studies.

Also, holy smokes. Sorry...

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Also, two people in my department died today from COVID.
                          Holy sh-t. Is your department 30,000? Or 300? Or 3?

I still know nobody personally who has died of from COVID, but there were many family members from my old Dumpy workplace, and of all ages.

It really is starting to seem like a class disease (driven obviously from different standards of care, access to information, and willingness to believe science).
                          Last edited by Kepler; 12-08-2021, 03:00 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I knew a number that have died, sadly. 3-4 friends of my dad (that got his attention, he had been in the "I dunno, something something trump and hoax" until then) from his church and his rod & gun club. A few friends' parents/family members. A number of musicians who I know from previous shows and tours. Sucks. Covid is a bastard.

Comment

• So my wi-fi signal got a lot stronger this afternoon. Got the Pfizer signal booster.

Last time I had a bad next day, so I prepared work for it.

Sorry to hear that so many are suffering- from Swan's bro to dx co-workers. That sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Holy sh-t. Is your department 30,000? Or 300? Or 3?

I still know nobody personally who has died of from COVID, but there were many family members from my old Dumpy workplace, and of all ages.

It really is starting to seem like a class disease (driven obviously from different standards of care, access to information, and willingness to believe science).
                                30-35? There was a third a couple months back. I've never actually met any of the three but talked to them on the phone a couple times. They were located in Illinois (2) and Alabama.

I feel bad if they were vaccinated. Don't know.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X