Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Fauci says Omicron almost certainly not as severe as Delta. Good news.
    This might actually be horrible news for a lot of us. Get ready to be put in some uncomfortable positions at work.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is severity a synonym for lethality or lethality x transmissibility?
      Less lethal (and maybe less taxing on our hospitals). I think.

I think the jury is still out on hospitals. My analogy earlier about rapidity of spread still holds. It's not good if everyone gets a less lethal variant at the same time. Because while hospitalization rate per 100k goes down, they all happen in a short period. But we just don't know because hospitalizations are a lagging indicator.

transmissibility seems significantly worse. So in some sense, both are good. Sort of. I'd rather have a less lethal variant of something spread rapidly to help provide some immunity to more people.

on the other hand, it means the next step in evolution would/could be to evade immunity as opposed to just being more transmissible. Which is not good. And there's always a chance it mutates into something that has the same transmissibility but is much more lethal.

aside: I was always under the assumption that viruses tend to become more transmissible and less lethal over time. Apparently that's a common misconception. Or rather, it's not a rule or general trend, it just sometimes happens to go that way. At least according to Carl Bergstrom. So maybe we got lucky here.
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-07-2021, 11:08 AM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• My hospital system is being overwhelmed by the demand for mAB treatment and are frantically opening up new locations.

But let's just pretend everything is fine.
        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• At some point we need to start rationing mAB for those who need it like the immunocompromised. Omicron is going to seek every potential host out with unprecedented efficiency. The most vulnerable must be protected at the cost of the most selfish.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• There is no supply shortage, fortunately. but there is a crippling staff shortage and a growing clinical space shortage. And this says nothing about the non-clinical staff necessary to get this up and running, support and bill for it.

but why bother with a free vaccine when I get get a very expensive antibody treatment?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
              My hospital system is being overwhelmed by the demand for mAB treatment and are frantically opening up new locations.

But let's just pretend everything is fine.
              So you are trying to forget that every single year, our hospital systems all over the country (world) get overwhelmed by the simple flu- since it's the same thing...

Oh, wait, that's never happened....

Comment

Less lethal (and maybe less taxing on our hospitals). I think.

I think the jury is still out on hospitals. My analogy earlier about rapidity of spread still holds. It's not good if everyone gets a less lethal variant at the same time. Because while hospitalization rate per 100k goes down, they all happen in a short period. But we just don't know because hospitalizations are a lagging indicator.

transmissibility seems significantly worse. So in some sense, both are good. Sort of. I'd rather have a less lethal variant of something spread rapidly to help provide some immunity to more people.

on the other hand, it means the next step in evolution would/could be to evade immunity as opposed to just being more transmissible. Which is not good. And there's always a chance it mutates into something that has the same transmissibility but is much more lethal.

aside: I was always under the assumption that viruses tend to become more transmissible and less lethal over time. Apparently that's a common misconception. Or rather, it's not a rule or general trend, it just sometimes happens to go that way. At least according to Carl Bergstrom. So maybe we got lucky here.
                Severity usually refers to how sick it makes people, not how lethal it is (although dying of a disease would indicate that it is quite severe, obviously).

A best possible case scenario would be that Omicron is as transmissible as it seems to be (2-4 times moreso than Delta, which... yikes), but much less severe. That way it's effectively a mild cold that everyone gets and then we move on to the endemic phase.

In all likelihood, it's as transmissible as they say but only slighly less severe as Delta, so cases explode again but hospitalization raw number stay pat.

We're 20 months in and clinical staff is burned out. Hospitals are facing crippling staff shortages, not to mention revenue shortfalls. We need a break.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                  There is no supply shortage, fortunately. but there is a crippling staff shortage and a growing clinical space shortage. And this says nothing about the non-clinical staff necessary to get this up and running, support and bill for it.

but why bother with a free vaccine when I get get a very expensive antibody treatment?
                  Cause Big Pharma makes beaucoup bucks from the vaccine.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Cause Big Pharma makes beaucoup bucks from the vaccine.
                    Moderna offers one product right now. The Covid Vaccine.

Both Moderna and Pfizer are Covid companies now. Their existence will be around Covid products.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Wow. The idiots must be getting desperate.
                      To the occasional observer, health authorities’/experts advice may seem like pure nonsense. But track the communications over time and you see how calculated it all is. One lie, contradiction, and absurd order after another, methodically breaking and humiliating those who follow them, Covidians.

Comment

• https://***********/sigallab/status/...860826634?s=21

well sh--t
                        Code:

Comment

I read an article today that states your first sentence. There is some evidence that omicron is showing that Covid is mutating towards a common cold type virus. Which is what some experts predicted months ago could happen. It is a coronavirus after all, which causes 25% of the common colds. So, it would be no surprise if Covid eventually heads in that direction, is the theory.

Of course, the article did say it's way too early to know either way, and whether omicron is the mutation that even starts us down that path.

In the meantime, I got my booster last week.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

This is probably more helpful than that tweet...
                            https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...g-some-answers

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

This is probably more helpful than that tweet...
                              https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...g-some-answers
                              I bet the "natural immunity" group is going to latch onto that data, ignoring the detail that it's previous infection PLUS vaccination.

Comment

• I agree with your local epi in her comments yesterday that were not endemic just yet

Comment

Working...
                                X