Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got my Moderna booster (first dose was back in January). Now I wonder if I'll need an omicron specific booster in a few months (I believe Moderna has indicated they could have an omicron vaccine update ready by February)

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      just got my Moderna booster (first dose was back in January). Now I wonder if I'll need an omicron specific booster in a few months (I believe Moderna has indicated they could have an omicron vaccine update ready by February)
      They said the same about a Delta-specific booster too. The nice thing about mRNA technology is that it's easy to make minor changes to tweak it. The issue is the testing/approvals. The FDA/CDC have shown a preference for slow and deliberate process, to the detriment of many people's health, and haven't really indicated that they'd allow a modified vaccine to skip the full slate of clinical trials as far as I'm aware (though I'm open to being wrong here).

There is a LOT of very mixed information on Omicron. It's probably best to ignore the media for a couple of weeks (or, you know, like, forever) and let the researchers figure it out. Right now we're getting incendiary and scare-mongering nonsense and not much more.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

They said the same about a Delta-specific booster too. The nice thing about mRNA technology is that it's easy to make minor changes to tweak it. The issue is the testing/approvals. The FDA/CDC have shown a preference for slow and deliberate process, to the detriment of many people's health, and haven't really indicated that they'd allow a modified vaccine to skip the full slate of clinical trials as far as I'm aware (though I'm open to being wrong here).

There is a LOT of very mixed information on Omicron. It's probably best to ignore the media for a couple of weeks (or, you know, like, forever) and let the researchers figure it out. Right now we're getting incendiary and scare-mongering nonsense and not much more.
        They found the existing vaccine provided good enough protection from Delta, especially from severe disease. Moderna does not sound as hopeful for Omicron, but who knows right now. They're not even sure it will outcompete Delta at this point.

What I've read is that the approval process for an update of this kind would be relatively quick, and wouldn't need a phase III clinical trial. It would just require a few dozen volunteers to prove efficacy and it wouldn't need a full safety review.

Comment

They found the existing vaccine provided good enough protection from Delta, especially from severe disease. Moderna does not sound as hopeful for Omicron, but who knows right now. They're not even sure it will outcompete Delta at this point.

What I've read is that the approval process for an update of this kind would be relatively quick, and wouldn't need a phase III clinical trial. It would just require a few dozen volunteers to prove efficacy and it wouldn't need a full safety review.
          I think the bolded is key. To my understanding, it hasn't really "gone up against Delta" in a meaningful way yet. Beta looked terrifying but Delta buried it. Gamma, Lambda and Mu were all crowded out by Delta as well and have been relegated to regional issues. Omicron might do the same.

Or it may reset everything. We just don't know yet, and the media shamefully spending hours on it (either scare mongering or mocking/dismissing) doesn't help anyone.
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

To me, it depends on the location. IMHO, a vaccine mandate here in Ann Arbor will go over really well. In some town in West Michigan, the schools will crumble.
            I live in a Blue Area in a Blue Suburb of a Blue City in a Blue State...it will get pushback here. (our dickhead Mayor is against it cause Jesus)

You are asking low ranking administrators and school boards to implement a policy that half the people will fight to the death over. How well did that go over in Virginia?

You can't piecemeal your way through this...all it will take is one judge to throw the whole thing off and even if it does go into effect you will have kids being forced to transfer by their ****nut parents. The lowest level this can come from is the State level cause at least Governors can usually weather the storm.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
              I think the bolded is key. To my understanding, it hasn't really "gone up against Delta" in a meaningful way yet. Beta looked terrifying but Delta buried it. Gamma, Lambda and Mu were all crowded out by Delta as well and have been relegated to regional issues. Omicron might do the same.

Or it may reset everything. We just don't know yet, and the media shamefully spending hours on it (either scare mongering or mocking/dismissing) doesn't help anyone.
              Right now all we can do is go off what the doctors in SA are saying which makes it sound like the same stuff we heard about COVID originally. Younger people tend to have milder symptoms the risk is with the old.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Agreed. Adding the Covid vaccine to the list of required school immunizations would be favored by a significant majority in my home town. Of course there will be some loud vocal *******s who would speak out against it.
                It’s unethical to require, mandate, force, whichever term you want to spin with, a medical treatment that someone does not have a medical need for.

As if that wasn’t enough, it is absurd to do so with a treatment that does not offer immunity and does not stop infection.

#FreakShow

Comment

Not happening. It's now in the whitetail deer population. A large percentage of harvested deer in Maine are testing positive for Covid antibodies.
                  That's my point. It's not happening. It can never happen.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I get that the stock response around here to issues like this is that we just need to throw more money at them. Sure, I suppose that if we start paying third grade teachers $2 million/year, we'll have a surplus of third grade teachers.

This is not a unique problem for teachers. Or for restaurant/bar servers, or any other position. I'm not really aware of too many areas where we aren't seeing a shortage of licensed/trained/capable employment candidates.
                    "But the immigrants are stealing our jahbs!!!!"
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

It's not a one size fits all problem. Rural school districts may have problems attracting candidates in any field.
                      And why is it that backwards bum**** places have trouble finding educated and qualified people who want to work there?

What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

And why is it that backwards bum**** places have trouble finding educated and qualified people who want to work there?
                        Not that this is the right tangent, but there is a new guy here in Michigan running for governor and thinks that kids are not being educated, but indoctrinated. Yea, that's how we get good teachers- tell them all that they are not teaching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post

It’s unethical to require, mandate, force, whichever term you want to spin with, a medical treatment that someone does not have a medical need for.

As if that wasn’t enough, it is absurd to do so with a treatment that does not offer immunity and does not stop infection.

#FreakShow
                          This is a moronic take on this. Immunization requirements for schools go back over a century and has continually been updated over the years.

Comment

• George Washington mandated the smallpox vaccine. Yeah, that George Washington.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              George Washington mandated the smallpox vaccine. Yeah, that George Washington.
                              It wasn't a vaccine. At least not in the traditional sense.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

It wasn't a vaccine. At least not in the traditional sense.
                                We can agree it was a mandated medical treatment?
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X