Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Schools were having a difficulty finding teachers before Covid, especially in certain teaching areas and geographic areas.
    Probably because we pay them **** for what they have to put up with. I imagine we will be mostly home schooling in the next 50 years or so. The Republican Party has spent the last 40 years destroying the public school system.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Seems that if the localities actually see the crisis that you've noted, they will be forced to make it happen locally. Sure, there will be ugly confrontations, but better that than all the teachers quitting.
      The problem with this is that the ugly confrontations are just as big a factor in them quitting, a mandate will just make that even worse. Teachers will be flocking to the exits either way, because half the country will throw the worlds biggest temper tantrum if a mandate is ordered.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Probably because we pay them **** for what they have to put up with. I imagine we will be mostly home schooling in the next 50 years or so. The Republican Party has spent the last 40 years destroying the public school system.
        I get that the stock response around here to issues like this is that we just need to throw more money at them. Sure, I suppose that if we start paying third grade teachers $2 million/year, we'll have a surplus of third grade teachers.

This is not a unique problem for teachers. Or for restaurant/bar servers, or any other position. I'm not really aware of too many areas where we aren't seeing a shortage of licensed/trained/capable employment candidates.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I get that the stock response around here to issues like this is that we just need to throw more money at them. Sure, I suppose that if we start paying third grade teachers $2 million/year, we'll have a surplus of third grade teachers.

This is not a unique problem for teachers. Or for restaurant/bar servers, or any other position. I'm not really aware of too many areas where we aren't seeing a shortage of licensed/trained/capable employment candidates.
          I'm not saying throw money at it. I'm saying we pay them ****.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

The problem with this is that the ugly confrontations are just as big a factor in them quitting, a mandate will just make that even worse. Teachers will be flocking to the exits either way, because half the country will throw the worlds biggest temper tantrum if a mandate is ordered.
            Depends on the location, as I see it. And the R effort to gut education is going to hurt them the most. Just like COVID has long term. At some point, someone is going to see the difference, and they will be forced to change, but that's going to take a while. This is where the industrialization of farming is going to benefit society vs. the small farmers who can't be bothered with education (and that's not ALL small farmers, but the ones who are part of the fight against education and COVID help.

Comment

A first step would be to stop the defunding of the education system. And it's interesting that you call restoring funding back to old levels as "throwing money at it". We can just go back to the 80's when public schools were strong, and we didn't need to take a massive loan to go to college.

Comment

Depends on the location, as I see it. And the R effort to gut education is going to hurt them the most. Just like COVID has long term. At some point, someone is going to see the difference, and they will be forced to change, but that's going to take a while. This is where the industrialization of farming is going to benefit society vs. the small farmers who can't be bothered with education (and that's not ALL small farmers, but the ones who are part of the fight against education and COVID help.
                Strongly disagree with this. I think there are a lot of people center or center-left who have an axe to grind with their local school system for one reason or another.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• We have been systematically gutting government institutions since 1980. That we expect our outcomes to be better after doing that is the height of arrogance and stupidity. Public Schools won't exist anymore in 50 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I think MV nails it. That's a local problem to solve unfortunately. As are so many of the endemic responses.
                    Then it absolutely does not happen.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Schools were having a difficulty finding teachers before Covid, especially in certain teaching areas and geographic areas.
                      This isn't about finding them, this is about keeping them.

And there was no district in The Cities that was having real issues finding teachers. Trust me when I tell you it was hard finding a job beyond subbing. (it is why I teach where I teach and I let my license lapse) I spent years looking and never even got an interview. Now EVERY district in The Cities in every subject is looking for multiple teachers at all levels. It is a catastrophic problem.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Then it absolutely does not happen.
                        To me, it depends on the location. IMHO, a vaccine mandate here in Ann Arbor will go over really well. In some town in West Michigan, the schools will crumble.

Comment

Well, this is less encouraging

modern thinks there will be a "material drop" in effectiveness against omicron in terms of severe sickness

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/30/inves...oil/index.html
                          And the BioNTech founder thinks their vaccine will do alright against omicron.

https://twitter.com/aslavitt/status/...335358476?s=21

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

This isn't about finding them, this is about keeping them.

And there was no district in The Cities that was having real issues finding teachers. Trust me when I tell you it was hard finding a job beyond subbing. (it is why I teach where I teach and I let my license lapse) I spent years looking and never even got an interview. Now EVERY district in The Cities in every subject is looking for multiple teachers at all levels. It is a catastrophic problem.
                            It's not a one size fits all problem. Rural school districts may have problems attracting candidates in any field. In the more urban districts, like Minneapolis or St. Paul, they have problems attracting candidates in certain fields or specialties, or teachers of diverse racial backgrounds. But to say that schools weren't struggling with keeping and retaining teachers prior to Covid is ignoring the situation, imho. Covid obviously hasn't helped, but has it helped any employment situation?
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

To me, it depends on the location. IMHO, a vaccine mandate here in Ann Arbor will go over really well. In some town in West Michigan, the schools will crumble.
                              Agreed. Adding the Covid vaccine to the list of required school immunizations would be favored by a significant majority in my home town. Of course there will be some loud vocal *******s who would speak out against it.

Comment

until we eliminate all other potential animal reservoirs
                                Not happening. It's now in the whitetail deer population. A large percentage of harvested deer in Maine are testing positive for Covid antibodies.

Comment

Working...
                                X