Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Yeah, I'm in the skeptical bandwagon on this. The vax rate (doses/day) *is* ticking up as a result of the mandates for sure - without the mandates, the rate would continue to taper to almost nothing. However, I don't think that uptick (from a relatively small baseline of just 650K shots per day) is responsible for the dramatic reduction in hospitalizations and presumed future decrease in deaths that we'll be seeing.

I'm also not convinced that a significant enough number of unvaccinated people modify their behaviors (masking, distancing) in the face of spiking COVID cases to arrest and then reverse the growth rate. At this point, most unvaccinated people are pretty hard-core deniers/freedom-over-responsibility types - just go check out your local school board meetings, if the public is even still allowed at yours.

My suspicion is that there's an inherent variation in susceptibility based on the complex interactions between virus and body chemistry. Each variant burns extremely quickly through the people who happen to be highly susceptible, that sub-population achieves "herd immunity" to that variant, and then the case rate drops back to the rate dictated by the less-susceptible population. I have no evidence for this other than a lack of correlation with other effects that could be causing the wild swings in numbers. We've had peaks in different seasons, on holidays and not, with a decently vaccinated population and not, etc.

My county in Florida went from 655 new cases/day for the week ending August 26 to just 172 cases/day for the week ending Sept 30. The population did not get 4x more vaccinated, 4x more mask-compliant, or 4x anything else in that span. (yes, yes, I understand non-linearity, I promise.)

Bottom line: It's the viruses' world - we just (try) to live in it.
    As a clarification, I'm not directly connecting vaccinations and cases- just loosely.

But the trend is the trend- vaccines are still happening, cases are dropping, deaths are dropping. It *could* be that states are lying, sure. But that could be said for the entire raise over the last month.

And if the trend stays down during the season where it should go up, and people are gathering together indoors, that's a good thing for all of us.

Comment

Florida had a nice spike in Jan 2021, too (best month of the year to be outside in Florida), so it's not just that. Probably the holiday bounce.
      Yeah, it's obviously a very complicated system of variables.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Apparently my company (#3 Defense Contractor) finally decided that the mandate applies to us - email just came out. All employees must have their last shot by Nov 24 and have proof uploaded to an internal website by Dec 8. If you don't, then our timecard system will not allow you to charge to any federal contracts (which covers 98% of our work), so, although unstated, you will surely eventually run out of non-federal work (and PTO!) and be laid off.

They will allow medical (with a doctor's actual signature) and religious exemptions, but note that "social, political, or economic philosophies, as well as personal preferences, are not eligible for religious accommodation from vaccine requirements." Lol - fascists need not apply. They also say that unvaccinated people will have to follow additional testing protocols (that aren't fully worked out yet) AND will have to wear a mask at all times regardless of test results.

They be serious, y'all.
        My company posted an "Update" on the front page today.

The update is that we have no update and the Feds have announced a Dec 8 deadline. We're still working to understand the impact blah blah blah.

Jesus... Bunch of GD noodles running this company
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

My company posted an "Update" on the front page today.

The update is that we have no update and the Feds have announced a Dec 8 deadline. We're still working to understand the impact blah blah blah.

Jesus... Bunch of GD noodles running this company
          Wow even my large employer got it all together by last week

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

If I'm CEO, I wouldn't want someone in my company who can't do basic risk assessments. They're a massive liability for that alone. Now they're putting the rest of my workforce in jeopardy too?
            Bye felicia
            Code:

Comment

• So my company is under 100 but they are under a holding company and that puts them just over it. So, they just decided we qualify. They announced it but immediately discovered it is irrelevant because every person in both companies is already vaccinated, on their own, because what ****tard wouldn't be?
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                So my company is under 100 but they are under a holding company and that puts them just over it. So, they just decided we qualify. They announced it but immediately discovered it is irrelevant because every person in both companies is already vaccinated, on their own, because what ****tard wouldn't be?
                Let's see, my sister and brother-in-law. And a bunch of my cousins. Like, a big bunch.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• A huge percentage of my extended family isn't for various reasons too. Some will ***** about it but get it because their job requires it. Others not so much.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

The employer I'm about to leave had their sheet together and mandated the shot with a Nov. 15th deadline for proof of full vaccination a couple weeks before the feds made the mandate official.

Comment

• We have until Nov 24th to submit either proof of vaccination or documentation for an exemption...apparently, they didn't keep any of our records from the incentive program.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

So, sickly.

Maybe you should ask yourself why your fabulous immune system wasn't able to fight off those raging sinus infections.
                        No.
                        Smart.
                        Testing is good.
                        Especially when you know you've had direct exposure or your symptoms match up and you want to be sure.

My immune system works great against viral infections (evidence: 0 for Covid to date). The < cuss words here > bacterial infections that are sinus are the real buggers in allergy seasons and while Canada keeps sending smoke my way. (I'm really tired of the AQI showing up in my Win10 bar.)
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                          While there's a LOT of gnashing of teeth and crying over the mandates, looking at the data- they seem to be effective.

7 day average of cases has dropped from 160k/day to 106k/day, and deaths have gone from 7 day rolling average of 2k/day to 1.8k/day (I should not have to remind people there's a lag between cases and death, but I will considering a handful of people who post nonsense).
                          Some of the SEC states were down turning right about the mandate announcement time. Under one assumption set it was the mandates. Under another assumption set it was the noted (above) burn-through theory. We can't be sure either way. Correlation is not causation until proven.

Delta flared. And then there was mention of Mu. What's become of Mu: disappearing.

As someone said, it's a virus world, we just live in it. (My less poetic statement is: virus gonna virus.)
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Some of the SEC states were down turning right about the mandate announcement time. Under one assumption set it was the mandates. Under another assumption set it was the noted (above) burn-through theory. We can't be sure either way. Correlation is not causation until proven.

Delta flared. And then there was mention of Mu. What's become of Mu: disappearing.

As someone said, it's a virus world, we just live in it. (My less poetic statement is: virus gonna virus.)
                            Mu (and Gamma, and Lambda) were discovered, tracked and either deemed non-issues or regional. Delta has crowded out Alpha and Beta already and likely to do the same to anything else. There will be more variants that likely will mutate from Delta, which could possibly be quite concerning.
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Lol. Apparently there are some ****wits planning a walkout and protest at our campus on Monday. Think that’ll make Biden change his mind?

Florida gonna Florida.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Lol. Apparently there are some ****wits planning a walkout and protest at our campus on Monday. Think that’ll make Biden change his mind?

Florida gonna Florida.
                                Happened at our HQ a couple days ago…amazingly it didn’t work. Maybe those guys will be the charm.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X