Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Do you know what separates a college from a business?
    There has to be a great one-liner there somewhere. :*)

In relation to this discussion we're having, again, probably risk tolerance separates a college from a business.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

I thought this sophisticated group would understand "not reviewed" and as I also said take the Carnegie/UPitt data "with a grain of salt".
      Rufus is the unsophisticated wannabe bouncer of the group

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I have a friend who is a physician with the Mayo Clinic, and we were talking about this on Monday. He said that more than 20% of the employees in their system have refused the vaccine. It's the Mayo farking Clinic.

But, he expects that may change. Mayo just implemented a new rule. No vaccine, no eligibility for their disability plans if the employee is off work due to Covid. Extend that to general health coverage and they may be on to something.
        Did he or she say whether the employees were medical professionals, Hovey, or did they include housekeeping, dietary, CNAs, etc? If so, the number means much less, IMO. On the other hand, if it includes docs, nurses, NPs, PAs,etc., it would be interesting to know some of the "why."

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Did he or she say whether the employees were medical professionals, Hovey, or did they include housekeeping, dietary, CNAs, etc? If so, the number means much less, IMO. On the other hand, if it includes docs, nurses, NPs, PAs,etc., it would be interesting to know some of the "why."
          He didn't break it down, but I assumed it was heavy on jobs like housekeeping, maintenance, etc..., as opposed to the docs. On the other hand, and knowing what I know about the Mayo Clinic (which is pretty much one of the most overbearing employers on the planet), I found it a bit surprising that Mayo hadn't simply lined up their employees and stuck the needle in them, whether they wanted it or not.

My friend did tell me a story about an unnamed "colleague" who was in his mid-fifties who refused. My friend said he kept pestering this guy about getting it, in a friendly sort of way, because he was worried about him. About three months ago the guy got Covid, ended up on a ventilator for something like seven weeks, and somehow survived the ordeal, but is pretty gorked at this point. My friend says he just saw the guy for the first time a couple of weeks ago and all they guy would say is, "Well, yeah...."
          Last edited by SJHovey; 08-11-2021, 02:32 PM.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Well she was right she had nothing to fear from the virus.

How many more of these until we notice the uptick in national IQ? 2 million? 4?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Well she was right she had nothing to fear from the virus.

How many more of these until we notice the uptick in national IQ? 2 million? 4?
              The number of motorcyclists killed in Sturgis every year, or on the way to or from Sturgis, is pretty crazy.

On the other hand, given that they are driving motorcycles, probably not.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The number of motorcyclists killed in Sturgis every year, or on the way to or from Sturgis, is pretty crazy.

I'm always surprised how many people die at that huge ballooning festival in New Mexico.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• If we follow the UK pattern, what comes after Covid Delta variant?

RSV. <-- Not good.

This source, while not NYT or WaPo or CNN, has an impressive list of sponsors/contributors (scroll to bottom).
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Too much of the Sturgis crowd is infrequent FatBoy* riders going on their summer wannabe biker adventure. Highly skilled cyclists they are not (and I know a few). Me? I gave up donor-cycles in my late teens.

*Am I referring to the bike, ... or the rider. In this singular case, MichVandal may attempt to read my mind. :*)
                    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 08-11-2021, 03:34 PM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If we follow the UK pattern, what comes after Covid Delta variant?

RSV. <-- Not good.

This source, while not NYT or WaPo or CNN, has an impressive list of sponsors/contributors (scroll to bottom).
                      So RSV isn't new but the concern is kids haven't been able to build their immune system because they have been wearing masks and have not been subjected to more minor illnesses? Want to make sure I understand what is being said here. The % of hospitalization isn't going up, is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Absolutely right. Those numbers have to be employees. The number for physicians is almost certainly higher and probably near 100% for those eligible and specializing in infectious disease.

I deal with one of the very rare conditions that are maybe vaccine associated (no evidence for Covid vaccines causing this at this point). Myself and my colleagues could not get the vaccine fast enough (I got it on Christmas day).
                        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

So RSV isn't new but the concern is kids haven't been able to build their immune system because they have been wearing masks and have not been subjected to more minor illnesses? Want to make sure I understand what is being said here. The % of hospitalization isn't going up, is it?
                          The article points to lack of contact and standard immune building, due to Covid protocols, have made a fertile environment for RSV. So, yes, to your question one.

As far a percent admissions, good question, and the article isn't clear on it. I think it's safe to infer "total admissions" due to RSV are higher than normal, but that's probably because we have a "two years batch" instead of the usual one year batch due to Covid restrictions delaying one one-year batch by a year.

Here's the part that floored me:

While most cases can be controlled, bronchiolitis is sometimes fatal. Approximately 3.5 million children globally each year are hospitalised, with around 5% of these cases sadly resulting in death.
                          FIVE PERCENT of RSV hospitalizations end in fatality? On 3.5 million hospitalized kids*. That's 175,000 kids annually.

*CDC says US Covid hospitalization is 2.4 million. Yes, I'm comparing US Covid to RSV global, so not great, but for scale.
                          https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

However, anaphylactic reactions...
                            I may have missed it but how similar are those numbers to the people getting killed by zombie meth addicts?

I mean, it seems like those odds are a bit lower and you're all for protecting one's self with a weapon. But then when it comes to the vaccine...?

Comment

Or post it with clear statement of its unreviewed status. Like I did.
                              I have no issue with how Sic did this. He labeled it pretty clearly. I've done that, others have done that, we all treat it with the grain of salt it deserves until it's reviewed.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I have no issue with how Sic did this. He labeled it pretty clearly. I've done that, others have done that, we all treat it with the grain of salt it deserves until it's reviewed.
                                Yeah I have to agree.

real issue is voices on Twitter sharing these studies who can’t couch the parameters of story to explain why the headlines have nineteen asterisks behind it

Comment

Working...
                                X