Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by burd View Post

You either respect science (substantial majority of the experts in the field), or you don't. Rs don't, plain and simple. Maybe some do, but they are closeted.

People should petition local school boards in red districts to eliminate science and math from the curriculum. Civics too, since they are not interested in the rule of law (60+ to 0 in courts of law around the county but still denying). That would save a ton of money with which to reward big corporate wealth for its role in protecting our working class.
    I'm reading The Demon-Haunted World right now and I agree with the premise which is that there are millions of people who are curious about the world but are exposed to bullsh-t instead of science. They are fed a diet of garbage and they latch on to that because they know no better. What we need is a multi-trillion dollar education of the public: start teaching the difference between science and pseudoscience in kindergarten, teach rudimentary logic and empiricism as part of every subject. Declare war on the mental pollution of the public by superstition and bullsh-t. Eradicate conspiracy theories like they were disease.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm reading The Demon-Haunted World right now and I agree with the premise which is that there are millions of people who are curious about the world but are exposed to bullsh-t instead of science. They are fed a diet of garbage and they latch on to that because they know no better. What we need is a multi-trillion dollar education of the public: start teaching the difference between science and pseudoscience in kindergarten, teach rudimentary logic and empiricism as part of every subject. Declare war on the mental pollution of the public by superstition and bullsh-t. Eradicate conspiracy theories like they were disease.
      Yes. And include in that curriculum the science behind confirmation bias. With the way information is fed to the vast majority of people now, I think that particular awareness has become critical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

You’re definitely better off being vaccinated than not being vaccinated but with Delta I don’t think it’s going to be enough.
        As a person who knows way more than you on this- that is just a dumb, false statement

Comment

• Other than the CNN article and a couple it references (and that reference it), I can't find anything approaching a real authority on that "Pfizer is only 60% effective against Delta", and I've seen a few experts questioning its origin.

The fact is, vaccines work, and they work well. If you are vaccinated, you are extremely unlikely to contract COVID short of being in an India-like hot zone, and you are even further unlikely to develop a severe case.

4/4 people something something contract something something is a sample size so laughably small as not to be relevant, and shame on the media for this.

Last April, the Chief Infectious Disease doctor at the hospital I work for said "I have two pieces of advice: First, where a mask. Second, ignore the media."
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Yes. And include in that curriculum the science behind confirmation bias. With the way information is fed to the vast majority of people now, I think that particular awareness has become critical.
            All the cognitive biases should be taught, along with all the logical fallacies.

You have to vaccinate people so they do not catch the mental diseases that are floating around out there. They have to be able to build their own logical antibodies.

It's not magic. Anything you and I can do 90% of the public can do. Maybe not as quickly or easily, but their brains have the capability if they are nourished.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You’re definitely better off being vaccinated than not being vaccinated but with Delta I don’t think it’s going to be enough.
              The idea that we could make it so no one ever got this thing died well over a year ago. Obviously, trying to keep numbers low so variants don't pop up as quickly is also a lost cause. Game is shifting to making it as non-lethal as possible. Vaccination is still play #1, 2, and 3.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                Last April, the Chief Infectious Disease doctor at the hospital I work for said "I have two pieces of advice: First, where a mask. Second, ignore the media."
                I suspect an infectious disease doctor when saying "wear a mask" meant specifically an N95.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• We have fire departments even though there are still fires.
                  Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                    Other than the CNN article and a couple it references (and that reference it), I can't find anything approaching a real authority on that "Pfizer is only 60% effective against Delta", and I've seen a few experts questioning its origin.

The fact is, vaccines work, and they work well. If you are vaccinated, you are extremely unlikely to contract COVID short of being in an India-like hot zone, and you are even further unlikely to develop a severe case.

4/4 people something something contract something something is a sample size so laughably small as not to be relevant, and shame on the media for this.

I don’t understand why we went away from masks in the first place. I absolutely hate wearing them but honestly until this thing is dead and buried we should have kept wearing them, at least indoors.

It will be interesting where the CDC goes from here. I would like to see intervention now so things don’t get completely out of control but that hasn’t been the American way when it comes to Covid.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      We have fire departments even though there are still fires.
                      Kep, by design fire departments are re-active. Immunizations and inoculations are supposed to be preventative pro-active. The better comparison would've been we have fire inspectors and fire codes but still have fires.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

As a person who knows way more than you on this- that is just a dumb, false statement
                        Do you think Delta is being overblown and isn’t a concern? I would like to think you are right.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Do you think Delta is being overblown and isn’t a concern? I would like to think you are right.
                          Viruses will always continue to mutate when they have hosts, and republicans give them plenty of hosts.

it’s a concern but as far as we know, you’re going to be ok if you get it and have been vaccinated. Red states can pass delta around al day long and I’m not going to freak out unless it somehow mutates to something scary.
                          my only real concern here are kids and compromised people who can’t get vaxxed yet.

Comment

• Meanwhile

Anthony Fauci on Sunday said more than 99 percent of the people who died from COVID-19 in June were not vaccinated, calling the loss of life “avoidable and preventable.”
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

I suspect an infectious disease doctor when saying "wear a mask" meant specifically an N95.
                              He was not at all being specific to an N95 mask.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Viruses will always continue to mutate when they have hosts, and republicans give them plenty of hosts.

it’s a concern but as far as we know, you’re going to be ok if you get it and have been vaccinated. Red states can pass delta around al day long and I’m not going to freak out unless it somehow mutates to something scary.
                                my only real concern here are kids and compromised people who can’t get vaxxed yet.
                                Agreed totally. In a growing number of states, there just isn't enough of a population that hasn't received a vaccine and/or been infected (in either case, they have at least some level of immunity) for things to rise beyond a small brush fire. My heart breaks for people in low-vaccination states who will be infected and die from an entirely preventable disease, but it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X