Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Wha-?

I'm not sure what provoked that. My answer still stands: if slave states are turning in surprisingly low counts it's because they are undercounting.
    wasnt' for you- it was for the person you were replying to. I have them on ignore.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Swansong was busy saying yesterday or the day before that any state that followed federal guidelines of lifting mask restrictions was a “stupid state”, and that Massachusetts was taking the smarter route. I think he forgot that y’all like voting for Republicans for Governor...and here we are. I wouldn’t pat yourselves on the back too much.
      I’m far from patting MA on the back. I was trying to make a point, obviously not very well, that if any state could lift a mask restriction it would be a state like MA who has done a much better job with getting its population vaccinated so they could do something like lift mask restrictions. Believe me, I’m very nervous about opening everything up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I’m far from patting MA on the back. I was trying to make a point, obviously not very well, that if any state could lift a mask restriction it would be a state like MA who has done a much better job with getting its population vaccinated so they could do something like lift mask restrictions. Believe me, I’m very nervous about opening everything up.
        First: MA can open up because they have vaccinated a good percentage of the state AND have already killed most of the at risk population. Just ask the families of nursing home residents how well the later has done to assist in reaching herd immunity. Nice job Charlie Parker.

Second: Charlie is NOT, repeat NOT, a republican. He is a democrat who had to run as a republican, a tried and true RINO.

As to the states opening up, if you are nervous about the risk, there is an easy answer, Stay Home! No one is forcing you to go to a game at Fenway. Get vaccinated, double mask, wear a face shield (even in your car) and avoid all risks. Problem solved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I understand your point. My original post wasn’t directed at you.
          I sometimes find it silly when posters bash other states or locales, and I respond in kind. I’ve been quite complimentary of Massachusetts and its citizens in previous posts. That said, I’ll never understand the continued desire by northeastern states like Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts to elect Republican Governors. Maybe more of your citizens are like Swansong instead of rufus (Maine resident?) than us outsiders are led to believe.
          Edit: I also partake in bashing other states and locales, so I acknowledge my occasional hypocrisy.
          Last edited by psych; 05-18-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

And why were you quoting the troll, Kep?
            He's not on my Ignore but probably should be.

Edit: rectified. Also note the bug where email address is (wrongly) prepopulated seems to be fixed.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2021, 08:50 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

ll never understand the continued desire by northeastern states like Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts to elect Republican Governors.
              Quite simple actually. This usually happens when the citizenry sees the fraud, abuse and bad managememt of their tax dollars reach a point that they say enough is enough.

- MA has the industry and extra dollars to waste, but going to be a new reckoning once they reopen and the government sees how bad the economic damage and deficits are. Lizzie doesn't have unlimited wampum to toss around.

- Maine better wake up fast, because they dont have the industry to support what General Mills has been doing and spending. Most of her programs based upon getting short-term Fed money to fund, but then higher state "spending" (ie. your state tax dollars) to continue the program. Financial meltdown just around the corner without federal dollars pouring in.

- VT will be ok until Lahey (chairman of the Appropriations Cmmt) retires or dies. As soon as he does, the gravy train of pork dollars are going to dry up. Only so many USCIS centers like in South Burlington that can be placed in the state to employ the average worker on the federal payroll. The typical VT resident has ZERO idea how much of their local economy is tied to this and much of the other money that Lahey shovels into Bernie's adopted paradise.

Comment

• BTW, it's also pretty funny when the deniers spend 18 months telling us that this wasn't a big deal, and all of a sudden it's a big deal that the vaccine actually works. Nice to see them change the target- at least they are consistent in their just complaining about everything.

Comment

• Outside of the biggest cities, the residents of Maine, NH, and to a lesser extent MA are more similar to Alabama than they are to Hahvuhd.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• So when will this variant coronavirus be added to the annual fall flu season flu shot cocktail?
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

That said, I’ll never understand the continued desire by northeastern states like Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts to elect Republican Governors.
                      Maine governors since Ed Muskie:

Muskie (D)
                      Haskell (R)
                      Clauson (D)
                      Reed (R)
                      Curtis (D)
                      Longley (I)
                      Brennan (D)
                      McKernan (R)
                      King (I)
                      Baldacci (D)
                      LePage (R)
                      Mills (D)

Democrats: 6
                      Republicans: 4
                      Independents: 2

other than LePage, those Republicans were "New England Republicans", which are an extinct species.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        those Republicans were "New England Republicans", which are an extinct species.
                        Isn't the VT Gov Republican? Is he a nut, in a crime family like Sununu, or the last NER?
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Maine governors since Ed Muskie:

Muskie (D)
                          Haskell (R)
                          Clauson (D)
                          Reed (R)
                          Curtis (D)
                          Longley (I)
                          Brennan (D)
                          McKernan (R)
                          King (I)
                          Baldacci (D)
                          LePage (R)
                          Mills (D)

Democrats: 6
                          Republicans: 4
                          Independents: 2

other than LePage, those Republicans were "New England Republicans", which are an extinct species.
                          LePage is who I was thinking of. I was shocked he got re-elected, much less elected in the first place. The Democrat must have been a mouth-breather both elections.

Comment

LePage is who I was thinking of. I was shocked he got re-elected, much less elected in the first place. The Democrat must have been a mouth-breather both elections.
                            First time around, the democrat was "uninspiring" and there was a fairly strong independent candidate. LePage won with 37% of the vote, while the democrat and independent split the remaining vote. People realized what was happening, and abandoned the democrat in the final days of the race to vote for the independent instead, since they seemed like they had a better chance of winning, but it was after many early voters had already cast their ballot. If he had started consolidating the non LePage votes earlier, he probably would have won.

That independent ran again 4 years later, along with long time Democrat congressman Mike Michaud (who was from the rural second district, and people thought he would be favored vs LePage). Michaud came out as gay during the race, which didn't seem to affect his polling. This time, the independent didn't get as much traction, but he still got ~10% of the vote. LePage had the benefit of a referendum question that drove out rural voter turn-out to historic levels for a non-presidential election year and he ended up winning with 48% of the vote.

The scary thing is LePage says he is running again. He's going against Mills, who actually won a majority of the vote and has an approval rating well above anything LePage ever saw, so I'm hopeful he won't get elected again.

Comment

Isn't the VT Gov Republican? Is he a nut, in a crime family like Sununu, or the last NER?
                              true, he's probably the last NER.

Comment

I’ve never met him but he’s a friend of a friend and supposedly a very decent guy. Everything I’ve heard about him and read about him makes him sound very moderate.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X