Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

there are two factions in town — those that hate cruise ships (or at least want the number cut down to something closer to 50/yr vs ~240/yr) and those that are super hostile to anyone that even hits at changing the status quo because they make money off tourists. The tourism industry has too much power right now.

Bar Harbor is the only town on Mount Desert Island that allows cruise ships. Northeast Harbor and Southwest Harbor banned them (after a trial run of one ship in Northeast Harbor).
    Northeast harbor is the land of the rich and famous, Southwest has no harbor to speak of, where you going to park a cruise ship out by Cranberry?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      There will be apps. They already exist. Plus your pharmacy has your records.
      The State of MN has it on record. I guarantee that these apps will ask for limited access to your vaccination records On the state’s DB regarding COVID. So long as it’s legal for them to do that.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

The State of MN has it on record. I guarantee that these apps will ask for limited access to your vaccination records On the state’s DB regarding COVID. So long as it’s legal for them to do that.
        As much as I hate dumbsantis- there is an issue with HIPPA. So an exception for public health would be required for that. Not that it's impossible, but it's not a gimme.

The other argument is that it makes two classes of people- but given it's just about an optional thing- I'm not sure that complaint would fly in court. Since companies are within their rights to ban speech, seems like they are within their rights to require vaccines for the general heath of the customers and employees. That's purely speculation, btw, so if there's real legal opinion, that would be interesting to read.

Comment

• There's no issue with HIPAA, as we are free to not use the service requesting this PHI. All manner of private business require this or that bit of PHI for using their services, this is no different.

Also, remember that thing I said about cruise lines not giving a **** about what moron Trump wannabes think?
          https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/n...ons/index.html

Major cruise ship company may avoid Florida if state doesn't permit Covid-19 vaccination checks

"At the end of the day, cruise ships have motors, propellers and rudders, and God forbid we can't operate in the state of Florida for whatever reason, then there are other states that we do operate from, and we can operate from the Caribbean for a ship that otherwise would have gone to Florida," CEO Frank Del Rio said during the company's quarterly earnings call.
          The COVIDiots will just find out how truly small their world is.
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
            There's no issue with HIPAA, as we are free to not use the service requesting this PHI. All manner of private business require this or that bit of PHI for using their services, this is no different.

Also, remember that thing I said about cruise lines not giving a **** about what moron Trump wannabes think?
            https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/n...ons/index.html

The COVIDiots will just find out how truly small their world is.
            Interesting- I thought HIPPA would be a factor. Thanks for the better information.

Comment

• My rule of thumb for HIPAA: If someone who isn't in the medical data field says HIPAA does "X", it usually does the opposite.

HIPAA just means* you can't give out PHI without consent (and there are limits on that limitation) or when required by law.

swan is literally in the med data administration iirc. His word is as close to gospel as it gets on this board.

*See paragraph 1
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My rule of thumb for HIPAA: If someone who isn't in the medical data field says HIPAA does "X", it usually does the opposite.

HIPAA just means* you can't give out PHI without consent (and there are limits on that limitation) or when required by law.

swan is literally in the med data administration iirc. His word is as close to gospel as it gets on this board.

*See paragraph 1
                The first thing to remember about HIPAA is that it only applies to covered entities; think medical providers and insurance companies and thats 99 percent of them. In fact, although your State's health services department is probably a hybrid entity (parts covered and parts not) the public health division is probably not subject to HIPAA, as there is a public health exception. Your state medical record privacy statutes may or may not be a different matter. This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer.
                Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

My rule of thumb for HIPAA: If someone who isn't in the medical data field says HIPAA does "X", it usually does the opposite.

*See paragraph 1

The Covid Gospel Zombie doesn’t even understand how a PCR test works.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

To help the economy, sure. But to BE the economy is something else- according to this- https://datausa.io/profile/geo/bar-harbor-me of the ~1000 employed in Bar Harbor, the largest sector is Accommodation and Food Service with just over 230 people, and then Retail Sales of 148. Forgive me for thinking that most of that is to support tourists. Which is to say that largest sector of the economy of Bar Harbor is tourism by employment.

Which is what happens when you are parked next to a National Park.
                    that doesn’t seem very accurate.

There are 1500+ people employed in biomedical research in Bar Harbor and probably more than that working in tourism, but other than local B&B and restaurant owners, most of those are seasonal workers (often foreign workers with seasonal work visas). Also the population is closer to 5,000 and the median home value is probably more like $400k.
                    Last edited by BassAle; 05-08-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Feeling a bit asymptomatic today. Should probably get myself tested.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

that doesn’t seem very accurate.

There are 1500+ people employed in biomedical research in Bar Harbor and probably more than that working in tourism, but other than local B&B and restaurant owners, most of those are seasonal workers (often foreign workers with seasonal work visas). Also the population is closer to 5,000 and the median home value is probably more like $400k.
                        Sounds like you have enough votes to ban ships.

So +30% of the entire population works in research? Including people who don't even work? That seems a lot riding on one place to me.

But forgive us tourists who want to see what makes Bar Harbor so special to live in..... It's a pretty nice place to visit.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Sounds like you have enough votes to ban ships.

So +30% of the entire population works in research? Including people who don't even work? That seems a lot riding on one place to me.

But forgive us tourists who want to see what makes Bar Harbor so special to live in..... It's a pretty nice place to visit.
                          Not all of the people working in research live in town, many commute from surrounding communities. Maybe 1/3 live on MDI?

Comment

• Shot #2 in the books. Was supposed to get it last Friday but, ended up having some health issues resulting in major surgery 3 weeks ago, so changed it to today to avoid riding in a car almost 3 hours. Though probably should have just kept the original given how long I had to wait in line.

Extra bar of 5G already!!
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• If unvaccinated people endanger those who got vaccinated, what do the vaccines actually help against?

Comment

• God Damn Some People Are Stupid

When the fit hits the shan he will claim it was a joke, cry like a baby and beg God to help him.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X