Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes. The rollout itself is slow as a turtle but for Pete's sake there is no excuse for not being read to jab people in the arm. At the rate things are going we wont have even the 1a group done by April. This is ridiculous.

Now is not the time to come up with intricate plans...the Fed dropped the ball there and we are screwed. Start vaccinating every old person and health care official. And if a health care official doesnt want it because they dont trust it...too friggin bad.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• "You're getting it anyway, and we don't care if you grow a third head"?
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
        "You're getting it anyway, and we don't care if you grow a third head"?
        I have seen some hysterical memes - my favourite- Now I have the microchip, if I get dementia does this mean the they can find me if I get lost?

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Yes. The rollout itself is slow as a turtle but for Pete's sake there is no excuse for not being read to jab people in the arm. At the rate things are going we wont have even the 1a group done by April. This is ridiculous.

Now is not the time to come up with intricate plans...the Fed dropped the ball there and we are screwed. Start vaccinating every old person and health care official. And if a health care official doesnt want it because they dont trust it...too friggin bad.
          I can't even.... I had the most frustrating conversation with someone the other day about this. One of the internet experts who insisted that it should be simple to get it out there. Could not get them to understand there is a whole process that goes into planning. Some of it can't happen until it is approved but it is inexcusable that preparation didn't happen. I feel bad for the Public Health folks who usually rely on the CDC (and they should be able to) to provide guidance and make detailed recommendations. They have no control over what they can access or when they are going to get it. They have been hung out to dry.

Also frustrating the number of different narratives floating about timing, strategy, effectiveness etc. It isn't if A then B. It is a decision tree with multiple factors. This same person is an expert in all of this. GAHHHH! I get folks don't like uncertainty but bloody hell people! You can't decide one size fits all.

Comment

• That is true and I admit I have no idea how any of this works and the logistics involved. I am not blaming health care officials in any way (except the ones refusing the vaccine the optics of that are just awful unless they are doing it to give it to others) I am blaming the politicos who either are too incompetent (the Feds) or are way overthinking it. (a lot of the states)

The US is the model for how never to do this...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• As some know, I've been working on my hospital's planning since November, and the most frustrating part of this is that the planning and distribution has been effectively left to hospital managers and administrators around the country, with little to no real, material guidance from the federal government. MA is a pretty good state for managing health, but they've pretty much just reinforced the (ever evolving) CDC guidelines and told us what's necessary for reporting data.

It's bonkers to me that it is this way, but par for the course from an administration that fundamentally believes that this is a fraud.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Freezer fails
                https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...s-830-vaccines
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Ugh. Miserable.

Fortunately they likely have a bunch of non-COVID patients and staff they can rapidly administer, but this is not a good thing at all. Not catastrophic, but really really frustrating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Ugh. Miserable.

Fortunately they likely have a bunch of non-COVID patients and staff they can rapidly administer, but this is not a good thing at all. Not catastrophic, but really really frustrating.
                    Most frustrating part of that story:

“By the end of the day, more people received an injection in just a couple of hours than have been vaccinated since the start of the vaccine program on Dec. 18, Howe said.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Most frustrating part of that story:

“By the end of the day, more people received an injection in just a couple of hours than have been vaccinated since the start of the vaccine program on Dec. 18, Howe said.”
                      A lot of the slowness is that we (hospitals) are super unsure of how quickly we can prepare vaccinations and administer them. Here are some complicating factors that require us to be very slow and deliberate at first:
                      • Once reconstituted, you have about 6 hours to stick the vaccine in someone's arm (for both Pfizer and Moderna). So you need to very carefully measure your stock and reconstitution schedule.
                      • You need a pharmacist to reconstitute.
                      • How often are side effects going to pop up? We're supposed to monitor folks for 15 minutes, but what's the setup on that monitor area? How big is it, and how many people can you safely put in there?
                      • Hospitals are by necessity and nature slow, deliberate and conservative, so it was expected that we'd start slowly, learn how to do things, and hopefully ramp up speed. I think most of us now are ramping up pretty well. While maybe we did 150 people per day at first, we should be able to do 200-225 per day now (for example.)

Comment

• Yea, I fully understand all that, having worked in hospitals a ton. But to me all the below are still not an excuse for not getting tbis into peoples arms. The nursing home? Should have been high on list.

Comment

• They were, and I can't speak for long term care facilities as I don't work in them.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            It's gonna happen, I'm sure it happens all the time with other drugs. Very surprised they aren't on triple backup.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

It's gonna happen, I'm sure it happens all the time with other drugs. Very surprised they aren't on triple backup.
                              Their reaction was excellent. Saved a lot of doses and a lot of quick thinking

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Making a truly redundant system is incredibly expensive. It does no good to have backup generators or batteries if the single motor in the freezer itself fails, or the single door seal gets damaged so the cooling system can't keep up. Every component in the chain has to be redundant, possibly multiply redundant depending on the failure rate of the individual components and the probability of success that you are targeting. If you set the bar as, say, it being acceptable to see only one freezer failure at only one hospital (out of 10,000+ hospitals) every 10 years, you will be stunned by how many layers of redundancy will be required.

The FAA mandates that we design commercial aircraft to have catastrophic incidents due to equipment failures less than once per every billion flight hours for a given aircraft type, so aircraft end up carrying around a *lot* of equipment that might only get used once in the life of the fleet, just to backstop that one really, really bad day when 3 other things failed first. Plus, of course, we had to pay a bunch of engineers for several years to sort through all the possible permutations of failure scenarios to KNOW that that one extra backup might be needed in that bizarre case.

That's a level of expenditure that typically would not have a positive ROI for a hospital, so it does not surprise me at all that they encounter failures on a relatively frequent basis (compared with truly redundant systems like aircraft).
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X