Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post
    I miss those morbid turning the corner gifs...too bad you had to cut them off right as we climb the highest mountain of death yet.
    Im working on a new bit...probably do it tomorrow
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      I’m exhausted and haven’t read all the posts here but managed to read this study tonight.

South Korea has done some of the most important work on this virus. This report isn’t great news although I can’t say it’s shocking.

basically says the six foot distance isn’t enough.

https://jkms.org/DOIx.php?id=10.3346/jkms.2020.35.e415
      Saw that too. It is not going to be normal anytime soon. If you are really looking at vaccine availability and that it is not interchangeable, then the pipe dream folks seem to have is not happening and the media pushing the rosy rather than the reality of how long we need to sustain frustrates me.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
        I miss those morbid turning the corner gifs...too bad you had to cut them off right as we climb the highest mountain of death yet.

And just because this one was funny when I searched:

Comment

• Sanofi/GSK says their vaccine isn't showing the immune response they want and they are headed back to the drawing board. Won't be ready until end of next year now.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Saw that too. It is not going to be normal anytime soon. If you are really looking at vaccine availability and that it is not interchangeable, then the pipe dream folks seem to have is not happening and the media pushing the rosy rather than the reality of how long we need to sustain frustrates me.
            les
            What do you mean by "interchangeable"?

Also, I'd like to hear your opinion of a workable vaccine vs. people who don't believe it. We know there are 3 sectors of people out there (maybe more)- 1) people who will get a vaccine, 2) people who *can't* get a vaccine (which is still being defined) and 3) people who won't get a vaccine.

My thinking is that 3 is a lost cause, but 2 needs protected. And I do expect that most in 1 will continue to use masks and be careful to not spread to 1's who have not yet gotten the vaccine.

So it seems to me that the virus will rage on in group 3 for quite a while. But as long as 1 and 2 are careful, they should take care of themselves.

Does that seems like a reasonable conclusion? Seems like it will take many months to take care of 1, at least.

The one interesting side effect- I bet some companies will require a vaccine to participate- cruises, concerts, resorts, sporting events, etc. I do wonder how how they will deal with group 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

So it seems to me that the virus will rage on in group 3 for quite a while. But as long as 1 and 2 are careful, they should take care of themselves.
              Rage on? You mean rage on like having a 99.61% survival rate outside of LTC? Rage on like where the top symptom is no symptom at all?

Casedemic

Comment

What do you mean by "interchangeable"?
                If you get one dose of Pfizer, you need dose 2 to be from Pfizer and you can't substitute Moderna.

One of the doctors administering the vaccination program at my local hospital told me the federal government is withholding the second doses, so our hospital will get doses for X patients, and then a few weeks later (depending on if it's Pfizer or Moderna, they have different schedules) they get a corresponding shipment for the second dose of that cohort. Each shipment intended for a first does should be paired with a subsequent shipment.

I'm in a "late priority one group" of first responders, but our hospital is small and rural so we probably have to wait for Moderna (they can be shipped in smaller lots). If everything goes like the hospital has indicated, I should get my first dose in the next 2-6 weeks. This is pretty amazing -- these new mRNA vaccines are a great scientific achievement.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

If you get one dose of Pfizer, you need dose 2 to be from Pfizer and you can't substitute Moderna.

One of the doctors administering the vaccination program at my local hospital told me the federal government is withholding the second doses, so our hospital will get doses for X patients, and then a few weeks later (depending on if it's Pfizer or Moderna, they have different schedules) they get a corresponding shipment for the second dose of that cohort. Each shipment intended for a first does should be paired with a subsequent shipment.

I'm in a "late priority one group" of first responders, but our hospital is small and rural so we probably have to wait for Moderna (they can be shipped in smaller lots). If everything goes like the hospital has indicated, I should get my first dose in the next 2-6 weeks. This is pretty amazing -- these new mRNA vaccines are a great scientific achievement.
                  huh. I would have never considered mixing sources for vaccines when there are two parts. Based on what little I know about modern vaccine development (using DNA and RNA) it seems to me that the individual vaccines are custom only with themselves, an no other match- because they were developed on their individual own.

What's the shelf life of the two parts? I take it that part two does not last from the time you get part one and when you need to get part two.

Comment

• I’m happy to wait till mid year to get mine. I want the frontline healthcare workers to get it since they’re stuck with dealing with the jabronis that still think this is nothing and I want them safe. If something happens to me I want to make sure there are actual healthcare workers to help me. I have no plans changing my current way of life till mid summer anyway, provided things get better.

Question - for people that got COVID and survived, are they immune and do not need the vaccine? Or will they go to the end of the list because they already have some immunity?

Comment

• I'm happy to hide in my house for 2 more years.

I like this.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What's the shelf life of the two parts? I take it that part two does not last from the time you get part one and when you need to get part two.
                        the vaccine can be stored that long, but the federal government doesn't want doses sitting in freezers for 3-4 weeks when they could be going to get more people their first doses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          I’m happy to wait till mid year to get mine. I want the frontline healthcare workers to get it since they’re stuck with dealing with the jabronis that still think this is nothing and I want them safe. If something happens to me I want to make sure there are actual healthcare workers to help me. I have no plans changing my current way of life till mid summer anyway, provided things get better.

Question - for people that got COVID and survived, are they immune and do not need the vaccine? Or will they go to the end of the list because they already have some immunity?
                          We’re going to need to get the vaccine even after having it, but I do wonder if they’ll make all of us be last- many will have other conditions making them vulnerable and we know millions have had this without getting tested/knowing so there’s no way to assure that everyone who has had it goes last in line

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

the vaccine can be stored that long, but the federal government doesn't want doses sitting in freezers for 3-4 weeks when they could be going to get more people their first doses.
                            I was more wondering if both doses could be sent at the same time, so that they are already there when you are ready for the second dose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I’m happy to wait till mid year to get mine. I want the frontline healthcare workers to get it since they’re stuck with dealing with the jabronis that still think this is nothing and I want them safe. If something happens to me I want to make sure there are actual healthcare workers to help me. I have no plans changing my current way of life till mid summer anyway, provided things get better.

If I'm the last person in the country that the vaccine is offered to, I won't complain. I'll take it as soon as it's offered, but I don't fear the disease and I've managed to live without it this long, so a few more months are fine.

My wife and I actually were talking about this last night after she read something about priorities for vaccination. Front line workers in hospitals, first responders, LTC, etc..., obviously have to be first.

But then I think it gets interesting. The aged, those with underlying conditions, people in LTC facilities, are most at risk of death. They are, in my opinion, also the people least likely to be spreading this virus.

If we go with vaccinating the vulnerable first, I think we will see a much slower decline in the spread than we would if we vaccinated everyone between 18 and 40 first. That's the group where most of the spread occurs, but as a group they have the least serious outcomes. But if we stop the spread, we also stop the deaths, including in the vulnerable population.

So, it's a decision between stopping the spread (and resulting death) sooner, or protecting against death now and working on the spread last.

If it were up to me, I'd vaccinate the vulnerable first (after the front line workers) and work on the spread in the younger generation last.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

We’re going to need to get the vaccine even after having it, but I do wonder if they’ll make all of us be last- many will have other conditions making them vulnerable and we know millions have had this without getting tested/knowing so there’s no way to assure that everyone who has had it goes last in line
                                Recovered covid folks will follow the same triage/priority list as people who managed to avoid it. It's all about your other health status.
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X