Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Quantifying the Incredibly Unlikely Aerosol Transmission of COVID on Airplanes

If my covid test comes back negative maybe I'll actually fly again. If my sense of smell never returns that will open up a few more decent seat opportunities as well.
    Flew to/back from northern Sweden via Frankfurt last week and yesterday and while what's happening in the terminals varies by country, on the planes it's pretty standard protocol. Empty middle seats, face masks for everyone, minimal to non-existent beverage service unless you're business class.

I'd fly again, but at this point there's essentially nowhere that you can go without needing to quarantine either on the way there or the way back.

Comment

• Italian cyclist Fernando Gaviria tests positive at the Giro d'Italia.

His second bout with the virus. Obviously, not immune.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Quantifying the Incredibly Unlikely Aerosol Transmission of COVID on Airplanes

If my covid test comes back negative maybe I'll actually fly again. If my sense of smell never returns that will open up a few more decent seat opportunities as well.
        Please don't, based on stories like this. I don't know for a fact they are planted by the airline industry, I just know it.

The death stick industry and the oil industry also spend millions on "studies." Purely coincidentally, the results always help their bottom lines.

Please do not die for someone's share price.

Last edited by Kepler; 10-21-2020, 09:21 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

Flew to/back from northern Sweden via Frankfurt last week and yesterday and while what's happening in the terminals varies by country, on the planes it's pretty standard protocol. Empty middle seats, face masks for everyone, minimal to non-existent beverage service unless you're business class.

I'd fly again, but at this point there's essentially nowhere that you can go without needing to quarantine either on the way there or the way back.
          Rapid testing at all ports is the only way we're going to get the borders somewhat reopened by this winter. Negative at the departure point, you're good to board. Positive, you're not getting on that plane or ship. You get tested again upon arrival, right before immigration & customs. If positive you get pulled aside and follow the quarantine rules of whichever country or jurisdiction you've arrived in, with no exceptions.

It will add time to the whole process and is annoying, but it's the only way to do it without a proven vaccine.

Comment

• Gosh, why aren't we doing that?
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Italian cyclist Fernando Gaviria tests positive at the Giro d'Italia.

His second bout with the virus. Obviously, not immune.
              I feel like this story comes up every 6 weeks.

We've had almost 40 million global infections, right? To have a handful of confirmed re-infections shouldn't be surprising. Some people simply never develop memory antibodies for some or all viruses. And some get such a light initial infection that it doesn't fully trigger that immune response. We have no way of knowing.

So ultimately, we do not yet know for sure how long COVID immunity lasts for an average person, but it is absolutely there because that's how immune response works. COVID isn't some weird virus that defeats immunity.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Rapid testing at all ports is the only way we're going to get the borders somewhat reopened by this winter. Negative at the departure point, you're good to board. Positive, you're not getting on that plane or ship. You get tested again upon arrival, right before immigration & customs. If positive you get pulled aside and follow the quarantine rules of whichever country or jurisdiction you've arrived in, with no exceptions.

It will add time to the whole process and is annoying, but it's the only way to do it without a proven vaccine.
                I agree. They need to be everywhere. Even with their reduced accuracy compared to PCR tests (and the issue is with false negatives, not false positives), the ability to run them nonstop means you could be tested multiple times per week if necessary. Maybe you're sick and the first test misses it. But will the second? Or third?

Comment

• That will work everywhere but in the US....

I know that the American International Traveler is a different subset from your average American, but still..
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    That will work everywhere but in the US....

I know that the American International Traveler is a different subset from your average American, but still..
                    Why not? You either take the test or you don't board (or aren't allowed to enter the country at the destination). This is just like the airlines' mask policies. In fact, it's actually easier to enforce.

Comment

• The 7-day moving average for deaths is the highest it has been since September 29th. Coincidentally the same average for daily cases began rising September 12th and hasn’t fallen since. Additionally active cases haven’t dropped since June 4th.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Why not? You either take the test or you don't board (or aren't allowed to enter the country at the destination). This is just like the airlines' mask policies. In fact, it's actually easier to enforce.
                        Because Americans don't do stuff like that. Hell Americans throw a fit about wearing said masks. The problem isnt the test it is us. (not me and you but our selfish ******* culture here)

Maybe if we tied it to terrorism...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Because Americans don't do stuff like that. Hell Americans throw a fit about wearing said masks. The problem isnt the test it is us. (not me and you but our selfish ******* culture here)

Maybe if we tied it to terrorism...
                          This is AmeriKKKa God Damm it. We don't need no ****ing masks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

I agree. They need to be everywhere. Even with their reduced accuracy compared to PCR tests (and the issue is with false negatives, not false positives), the ability to run them nonstop means you could be tested multiple times per week if necessary. Maybe you're sick and the first test misses it. But will the second? Or third?
                            It's standard to get tested at the airports in Germany when you return from a risk country. But you also have the option to do it for free regardless of where you went. You get results in fewer than 12 hours. Obviously, it takes 3-4-5 days for a positive test to show up after exposure so you get an additional test a few days later. Also for free. With a moderate quarantine in between the two tests, it's been successful so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

It's standard to get tested at the airports in Germany when you return from a risk country. But you also have the option to do it for free regardless of where you went. You get results in fewer than 12 hours. Obviously, it takes 3-4-5 days for a positive test to show up after exposure so you get an additional test a few days later. Also for free. With a moderate quarantine in between the two tests, it's been successful so far.
                              I'm talking about the rapid antigen tests that give results in 5-15 minutes, but same idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Please don't, based on stories like this. I don't know for a fact they are planted by the airline industry, I just know it.

The death stick industry and the oil industry also spend millions on "studies." Purely coincidentally, the results always help their bottom lines.

Please do not die for someone's share price.

Before my current gig as a corrupt, leg breaking union boss, I worked in the airline industry. Believe what you want, but based on what I know, the article rings fairly true. I will say I believe the air on any modern jetliner is probably no worse than that in many office buildings, and likely cleaner than on ones with older HVAC systems.

Now I have a question for the medical professionals here: Has there been any data collected on whether or not self administered covid-19 tests are any more or less accurate than ones where the professionals are doing all the work? My two tests have been ME shoving that swab up into my brain, not someone else, then agitating it in the vial and sealing it up myself before dropping it into a collection box. Both times I was assured by the NP observing I was inserting it plenty far enough, and followed all of her instructions properly. It isn't exactly maneuvers that requires 12 years of education and practice, but I'm still left to wonder. When that swab starts to hit some resistance it is only natural to flinch a little bit. The first time I generated a lot of tears, and my eyes watered for the most of the 25 minute drive home. This time, they watered, but just barely, and were more or less dry on the same drive home.

Comment

Working...
                                X