Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Bully!!
    Hey I'd have killed for that in high school. Woulda kept it in the glove box right next to the registration.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Hey I'd have killed for that in high school. Woulda kept it in the glove box right next to the registration.
      To be honest mookie has always counted sperm as ONE, TWO, rarely THREE
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Let's say I have coronary artery disease. Then let's say that I test positive for Covid. If I die of a heart attack, for instance, do you know whether there is any effort made to see if the Covid triggered or caused the heart attack, or contributed to it, or is that something that's just not done (or can't be done)? I assume that other than for recordkeeping purposes there would be no real point to trying to figure that out, since I'm dead. But I was curious as to whether the medical profession is trying to understand whether Covid is triggering these events that can otherwise be fatal, or if that's something that can even be determined.
        A good question. I can speak a bit on it but I would caveat that there are a lot of details that are nuanced that may not translate well.

Different states do have different requirements that trigger an autopsy. Age, reason noted for death, circumstances surrounding death, level of involvement of medical professionals etc. Ultimately that is the best way to determine the exact cause of death in most cases if in the hands of an experienced and well trained pathologist. It is helpful for record keeping but it is also important learning opportunity. NEJM has a weekly section from Mass General that has countless lessons learned from autopsy.

Coronary artery disease is very common and we have good ideas of historical rates. Most people with CAD do not have heart attacks. If we start seeing changes in the pattern of patients (which is not too challenging, especially in the setting of a tertiary care facility where one team is caring for all heart attacks or strokes), it is a reasonable assumption the ongoing pandemic is changing that. We have actually seen this, with mild heart attacks and strokes essentially staying home, and an increase in more severe or atypical heart attacks/strokes (like in the young, no other clear co-morbidities).

Covid-19 is pro-thrombotic, we have learned. It has a high rate of pulmonary embolism, ischemic stroke, heart attack, DVT etc in hospitalized patients and a thrombotic event as the presenting symptom is not that uncommon.

Ultimately, it comes down to where you die and the physician who cared for you to determine most etiologies of death. If you have a patient with clear signs of Covid-19 infection and a thrombotic event, you are more likely to identify that as an etiology. If it is a positive test but you do not feel it was a large contributor, you may not identify it. The vast majority of physicians, especially the ICU docs that are doing most of this, are great, compassionate professionals. The degree of rampant fraud or incompetence required to drastically change the numbers is near impossible and would require a vast conspiracy of hundreds of thousand individuals.

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• The cruelty is the point

https://mobile.***********/ASlavitt/...69174839906305

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

You are missing the point to a degree that it has to be dishonest, hence the rant.

If your death certificate says:
            1. Cardiac arrest
            2. PNA
            3. Covid-19

Those are considered 2 co-morbidites associated with Covid-19. But...the person did not have these prior to getting Covid-19 and are...a direct result of the illness. This is clearly outlined in the information from CDC and the coverage by health professionals that have actually filled out a death certificate.

To misunderstand this at this point can only come from deliberate choice to select to look only at things fit your narrative and ignore the literal mountains of information that make in untenable.
            That's our Chuckles.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I have a different theory and I'm not being snarky.

I think ideological blindness can literally make us stupid. It disables the cognitive parts (and/or processes) in our brains that typically distinguish smart from stupid people.

There's nothing magical about being smart, it's just a gift from the gods like a great fastball or high cheek bones. That means that thing is subject to change under potential stimulae. Trauma is an obvious one: bash a guy in the head with a 2x4 and he's going to drop from Yale to Michigan.

I hypothesize ideological blindness actually traumatizes the brain and damages people's ability to think. He's not lying, he honestly cannot see because he is suffering from a localized mental incapacity. Surely there has been neurological research to test this and perhaps it fails but it's my hypothesis.
              Plus, he's a UHN fan.

Comment

To be honest that is a low sperm count.
                he said he just had a massage.

Comment

A good question. I can speak a bit on it but I would caveat that there are a lot of details that are nuanced that may not translate well.

Different states do have different requirements that trigger an autopsy. Age, reason noted for death, circumstances surrounding death, level of involvement of medical professionals etc. Ultimately that is the best way to determine the exact cause of death in most cases if in the hands of an experienced and well trained pathologist. It is helpful for record keeping but it is also important learning opportunity. NEJM has a weekly section from Mass General that has countless lessons learned from autopsy.

Coronary artery disease is very common and we have good ideas of historical rates. Most people with CAD do not have heart attacks. If we start seeing changes in the pattern of patients (which is not too challenging, especially in the setting of a tertiary care facility where one team is caring for all heart attacks or strokes), it is a reasonable assumption the ongoing pandemic is changing that. We have actually seen this, with mild heart attacks and strokes essentially staying home, and an increase in more severe or atypical heart attacks/strokes (like in the young, no other clear co-morbidities).

Covid-19 is pro-thrombotic, we have learned. It has a high rate of pulmonary embolism, ischemic stroke, heart attack, DVT etc in hospitalized patients and a thrombotic event as the presenting symptom is not that uncommon.

Ultimately, it comes down to where you die and the physician who cared for you to determine most etiologies of death. If you have a patient with clear signs of Covid-19 infection and a thrombotic event, you are more likely to identify that as an etiology. If it is a positive test but you do not feel it was a large contributor, you may not identify it. The vast majority of physicians, especially the ICU docs that are doing most of this, are great, compassionate professionals. The degree of rampant fraud or incompetence required to drastically change the numbers is near impossible and would require a vast conspiracy of hundreds of thousand individuals.
                  What are your thoughts on the PCR test?

Comment

There's nothing magical about being smart, it's just a gift from the gods like a great fastball or high cheek bones. That means that thing is subject to change under potential stimulae. Trauma is an obvious one: bash a guy in the head with a 2x4 and he's going to drop from Yale to Michigan.
                    chefs kiss

Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

he said he just had a massage.
                      If repping was still a thing this would win!

Comment

Interesting, as I just saw this article which seems to back up your experiences.

https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63

As bradykinin builds up in the body, it dramatically increases vascular permeability. In short, it makes your blood vessels leaky. This aligns with recent clinical data, which increasingly views Covid-19 primarily as a vascular disease, rather than a respiratory one. But Covid-19 still has a massive effect on the lungs. As blood vessels start to leak due to a bradykinin storm, the researchers say, the lungs can fill with fluid. Immune cells also leak out into the lungs, Jacobson’s team found, causing inflammation.

And Covid-19 has another especially insidious trick. Through another pathway, the team’s data shows, it increases production of hyaluronic acid (HLA) in the lungs. HLA is often used in soaps and lotions for its ability to absorb more than 1,000 times its weight in fluid. When it combines with fluid leaking into the lungs, the results are disastrous: It forms a hydrogel, which can fill the lungs in some patients. According to Jacobson, once this happens, “it’s like trying to breathe through Jell-O.”
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• We're lucky to have WW as our team doctor.

Comment

Interesting. I always assumed it was up to the individual doctors to decide what to list as the cause of death, so it seemed unlikely that they would have all gotten together to list Covid as the reason if it really wasn't the reason. But I was also curious how much flexibility they have to decide whether it's a Covid death or something else.

I think here in Minnesota we're going to hear a lot more on this topic on a somewhat related note when the George Floyd trials start. News reports have given hints that "cause of death" is likely going to be the topic of some debate in that trial, if the defense has their way.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                              We're lucky to have WW as our team doctor.
                              Yes, he is awesome, like having uno as in-house counsel. :-)

Thank you both for getting those degrees so I didn't have to.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Interesting. I always assumed it was up to the individual doctors to decide what to list as the cause of death, so it seemed unlikely that they would have all gotten together to list Covid as the reason if it really wasn't the reason. But I was also curious how much flexibility they have to decide whether it's a Covid death or something else.

I think here in Minnesota we're going to hear a lot more on this topic on a somewhat related note when the George Floyd trials start. News reports have given hints that "cause of death" is likely going to be the topic of some debate in that trial, if the defense has their way.
                                I'm not a doctor (but I work with them as a systems analyst - and yes play one on tv), but I think you may be somewhat misreading what he said. In most cases there is no autopsy, and the attending/PCP/whomever determines cause of death.
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X