Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

5.7 million people in the country have had the disease. How many got it at work?

Yeah, it's fun to just blame other people, especially if it's your employer, and make them pay for everything. But it's not a workable solution. You can blame the Minnesota Senate, but it was Walz who decided not to push for an extension beyond the first responders.
    Perhaps Walz decided that during a 100-year pandemic, trying to play politics with a death cult was ill-advised and decided to try to get something, anything through the Senate.

Your canard about how many got it from work is a particularly useless since it ignores the fact that this is a communicable virus. Which is bizarre considering we're talking about a communicable virus. There's a great graphic put out by one of the major journals recently that tracked one case to 91 subsequent cases, just among those they could trace. Not counting the future secondary, tertiary, quaternary*, etc. cases that come from this.

Imagine an arsonist is running wild through a massive forest. That arsonist sets fire to maybe what? One millionth of a percent of the total trees burned? You're arguing we shouldn't try to stop the arsonist because he's only responsible for a fraction of the total damage.

*I love using this word
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

And that's ****ed and should be fixed. Anyone who is forced to work should have it extended. We *sniff* love our red-blooded, patriotic first responders but anyone who is working right now in-person should have it extended to them. It's so disappointing that even a progressive state has a bunch of dirtbag corporate-ball-sucking republicans in the state senate. Once we fix that in November we can move on to fixing the inequities in our system. God forbid a company having to take responsibility for killing or injuring someone.
      How long did the dying police and firefighters have to fight to get their government to pay up after 9/11?

No one in power gives a **** about our first responders other than how they score political points using them.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And that's ****ed and should be fixed. Anyone who is forced to work should have it extended. We *sniff* love our red-blooded, patriotic first responders but anyone who is working right now in-person should have it extended to them. It's so disappointing that even a progressive state has a bunch of dirtbag corporate-ball-sucking republicans in the state senate. Once we fix that in November we can move on to fixing the inequities in our system. God forbid a company having to take responsibility for killing or injuring someone.
        How long did the dying police and firefighters have to fight to get their government to pay up after 9/11?

No one in power gives a **** about our first responders other than how they can score political points using them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Yes. You have underlined the f-ck scenes.

The people who are treating this lightly, like you and the people you quote, have a lot of blood on their hands. Assuming our body count with a competent public policy would have been about 50k your ideas have killed 125k as of this morning. You built that. You aren't neutral. You may not be opining but I am -- you are responsible for the policies you advocate and the politicians you vote for, and those policies and politicians are murderous.

The ones who are stupid are partially absolved, but you are not stupid. You're blinded by rancid ideas that gnawed into your head and now impede your humanity and common sense.
          Or, he's just a ****ing sociopath.

As to Covid and workmens comp, you can be damm sure that in the future, insurance companies are gonna treat having had it as a pre-existing condition to deny all sorts of future treatment options, if the Repubs ever end Obama care. Lung problems, heart problems, stroke, anything they can get away with.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
            I'm not giving up on Hovey. There's nothing in his posts that suggests to me he is willfully amoral or mentally deficient. And when it comes to being belligerent I am way, way worse than he is. If tone were all that mattered I'd be one of the worst people on the board. (Hmm....)

He's a smart, sensible guy who is just plain wrong. It happens. Maybe he's also a little vain and doesn't want to examine his axioms, but we all like the smell of our own, or at least think they're "neutral."

I like Hovey. The guys who come here and say dumb stuff because they are too weak to break their programming, or because they're just being vile trolls, I Ignore. The guys who are sincere but just have bad premises, or who had bad teachers, or are caught up in the disgusting ball of conservative twine that masquerades as "thinking," are worth trying to reach.

Beats workin'.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

As to Covid and workmens comp, you can be damm sure that in the future, insurance companies are gonna treat having had it as a pre-existing condition to deny all sorts of future treatment options, if the Repubs ever end Obama care. Lung problems, heart problems, stroke, anything they can get away with.
              Yeah that part terrifies me. I’m sure insurance will screw over a lot of people on these lasting effects

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm not giving up on Hovey. There's nothing in his posts that suggests to me he is willfully amoral or mentally deficient. And when it comes to being belligerent I am way, way worse than he is. If tone were all that mattered I'd be one of the worst people on the board. (Hmm....)

He's a smart, sensible guy who is just plain wrong. It happens. Maybe he's also a little vain and doesn't want to examine his axioms, but we all like the smell of our own, or at least think they're "neutral."

I like Hovey. The guys who come here and say dumb stuff because they are too weak to break their programming, or because they're just being vile trolls, I Ignore. The guys who are sincere but just have bad premises, or who had bad teachers, or are caught up in the disgusting ball of conservative twine that masquerades as "thinking," are worth trying to reach.

Beats workin'.
                I'm glad Hovey is here. It can't be easy being a conservative on these threads. We who are varying degrees of liberal need some push back from a conservative with a sizeable fund of knowledge and some brains.

Comment

Add thyroid problems- the newest thing that is coming out.

The Univ refuses to put anything in writing or have a policy about covering C-19. But is quite willing to put someone at risk without supplying the proper PPE. And more stuff that I can't post but makes me want to puke at the hypocrisy.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

I'm glad Hovey is here. It can't be easy being a conservative on these threads. We who are varying degrees of liberal need some push back from a conservative with a sizeable fund of knowledge and some brains.
                    I don't think there is anything conservative about it. My parents are quite conservative but they've shown (even at the age of 82) they're more than capable of looking past their own immediate needs and seeing a much bigger picture. I welcome legit conservative debate but Hovey is offering nothing of the sort. It's borderline "Fifth Avenue Posse" thinking and extremely dangerous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I don't think there is anything conservative about it. My parents are quite conservative but they've shown (even at the age of 82) they're more than capable of looking past their own immediate needs and seeing a much bigger picture. I welcome legit conservative debate but Hovey is offering nothing of the sort. It's borderline "Fifth Avenue Posse" thinking and extremely dangerous.
                      I'm going to be completely candid. I have literally no idea what this means. I even googled it and I still have no idea what it means.

I mean, I kind of like it and I'm not opposed to adopting it as my credo. Rufus' description, ******* sociopath, while accurate, is too common.

But if I'm going to adopt Fifth Avenue Posse thinking as my worldview, if anyone out there can help me out with a definition, I'd be forever indebted.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• I believe it refers to the “I can stand in middle of 5th ave and shoot someone and my supporters won’t care” line Trump used

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          I believe it refers to the “I can stand in middle of 5th ave and shoot someone and my supporters won’t care” line Trump used
                          Wow, ok. I googled it and came up with nothing. I just assumed it was another instance of Slap Shot showing up and delivering another of his one or two line Chance the gardner quips, then disappearing again, leaving us here to scratch our head in wonder.
                          Last edited by SJHovey; 08-19-2020, 04:08 PM.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I thought pregnancy comes with some grim prognoses if you get COVID.
                            The short answer is we probably do not know enough. The slightly longer answer when judging risk in pregnancy (like with medications, procedures, etc) is that we are extremely risk adverse so even if the Covid-19 risk is "low" in pregnancy, given the unknowns, you would be best to avoid contact/infection.
                            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Massachusetts becomes the first state in the nation to require flu vaccinations for all students 6 months or older who attend child care, pre-school, school and college in Massachusetts to reduce the possibility of a double whammy of respiratory illnesses during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. There are medical and religious exemptions as well as kids being home schooled.
                              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• According to Governor Beshear, once Kentucky‘s application is approved by FEMA, it’ll become the first state in the country to offer the extra $100/week, using money from the CARES Act. I guess the money won’t start until the first week of September.

Comment

Working...
                                X