Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeb...no, I don't think testing can or should go on indefinitely, but it should go on as long as the actual experts in virology, infectious diseases, and epidemiology say it should. Probably once we have successful vaccines that allow us to get to herd immunity without unnecessarily causing an extra 100,000 deaths.

As for your article in the "Spectator" is concerned, you do realize that the authors aren't saying we shouldn't do mass testing. They're saying that we have to be careful in how we analyze the results based on the nuanced science involved in how those tests determine positivity or not. Actually doing mass testing of both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals is needed to truly determine the community spread of the virus. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post
      As for your article in the "Spectator" is concerned, you do realize that the authors aren't saying we shouldn't do mass testing. They're saying that we have to be careful in how we analyze the results based on the nuanced science involved in how those tests determine positivity or not. Actually doing mass testing of both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals is needed to truly determine the community spread of the virus. Why is this so hard for you to understand?
      Please point to where you think in the article the authors are making a case for mass testing of asymptomatic people.

And the point of the article is how mass testing of a population using a PCR test can more harm than good. And they demonstrated that very well. Especially asymptomatic people with no clinical diagnosis.

The reality is the vast majority of these asymptomatic people do not have an active infection. We now have a Casedemic the pandemic is long gone.

With Covid-19, however, clinical diagnosis is seemingly a secondary consideration in the face of mass testing. All you require is a positive PCR test; no symptoms, no signs, no other diagnostic proof. But our limited understanding of mass testing and PCR suggests this might not suffice.

PCR detection of viruses is helpful so long as its limitations are understood; while it detects RNA in minute quantities, caution needs to be applied to the results as it often does not detect the infectious virus. This detection problem is ubiquitous for RNA viruses detection. SARS-CoV, MERS, Influenza Ebola and Zika viral RNA can also be detected long after the disappearance of the infectious virus.

Why does this matter? Because when it comes to Covid-19, insufficient attention has been paid to how PCR results actually relate to disease. The harms of false-positive results can be substantial: operations can be delayed or cancelled; patients are kept in hospital, just in case; further testing is required; in some cases, it drives local lockdowns. The results of our recent systematic review on viral infectiousness indicate that cycle thresholds are essential to understand who is infectious, and consequently, the extent of any outbreak and for controlling transmission.

When it comes to dealing with this ongoing pandemic, it is clear that Covid-19 – and our limited understanding of it – is testing our decision-making skills to the limit when it comes to diagnosing infections. And without a better understanding of what test results really show us, it seems that while coronavirus is at a low prevalence in our communities, mass testing might cause more harm than good if the nuances of test threshold are not understood.
      Last edited by Jeb2020; 08-13-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue

According to Florida's official page, testing is down from a peak of ~520k/week at it's peak to ~420k. And the positive rate is just barely below 10%.

Maybe it's getting better, but seeing the death chart suggests otherwise. Very much otherwise. Certainly don't trust them enough to travel there.
        Not at 10% it’s not.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Why shouldn't testing go on for the indefinite future?? Until we have a firm grasp on the solution, then the testing must continue.

Even after vaccines are developed, testing MUST go on so that the actual effectiveness of the vaccines can be judged.

The idea that we should scale down or end testing is just giving up and letting the virus win- which will certainly lead to millions of deaths in this country. Even right now, COVID has the potential to be the #2 cause of death in the US, overall. Right NOW, not even accounting for the fact that it's barely 6 months into the tracking of the data, COVID is #4 cause of death in the US. And it will be #3, easily, by the end of the month. If one includes the non-normal pneumonia, it's easily the #3 cause of death in the US. And that's the official count- not the ones that were not tested.

How is it that THAT fact is being so overlooked???? I don't get it.

And that incredibly high amount is WITH WORK. The handful of months that we cut as much contact off as possible, sports being canceled, restaurants being closed (and partially reopened). I can't imagine how bad it would have been if nothing was done- which is exactly what is being demanded of us.

Apparently, a large chunk of Americans are expected to die for the economy- which benefits a very, very small group of people the most.
          You are one dense dude.

Comment

• The U.S. is 8th in the world for total cases / 1M putting them into the company of such illustrious world leading countries as Qatar, Bahrain, Chile, Panama, Kuwait, Oman, Peru and Brazil. The type of countries the rest of the world looks to for leadership and setting examples of taking care of its people. True human rights pioneers.

The 7-day moving average for deaths for the U.S. went up after yesterday and will go up further due to the lag in counting. This means the U.S. is on pace to add 148k more deaths by EOY if it doesn't alter the trajectory.

FL, CA, TX, GA, AZ, NC, LA and TN for instance all are seeing higher 7-day averages than they were 30, 60 as many as 90 days ago. Thank goodness most of my family back home lives in a state that's been managed infinitely more reasonably.

Comment

Why shouldn't testing go on for the indefinite future??
              "Oxygen is too large a drain on resources. After the first 24 hours of flight astronauts will have to remove their helmets and take their chances."
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1294236803407454210

CNBC @CNBC · 4h
                "What we want people to know is that this has 1918 potential." Scientists say the coronavirus is at least as deadly as the 1918 flu pandemic.

Comment

• Most of us realized it, but Gallup polling from last month confirmed a clear political divide over mask wearing. Most striking is that 94% of self-identified Democrats say they always or very often use masks outside their homes while only 46% of republicans make the same claim. Sadly, 36% say they rarely or never wear a mask outside the home. Only 2% of Democrats in the Gallup poll claim that kind of stupidity.

Everything in this country is political now and what's more dangerous, one side of the political spectrum has decided to eschew science, evidence, and facts when making their political calculations since the other side appears to be relying precisely on science, evidence and facts.

I guarantee if trump had come out in mid-March and said wearing masks might be in our national interest and all Americans should consider it, then on April 1st said the facts clearly show it will help and all Americans should wear a mask when away from home, you would still see those same 94% of Democrats wearing a mask most of the time and you almost certainly seee 3/4 or more of republicans saying the same thing. Had that one additional thing happened, thousands more would be alive today, and the PAC-12 and the B1G would probably still be planning on playing football because we would have gotten a handle on this virus by now.

Comment

• And if some big time Democratic leader had come out and said masks are useless and won't protect you, those same 98% of Democrats would still be wearing masks.

You can't fix stupid. Unfortunately, stupid has a large megaphone and won't stop yelling.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      And if some big time Democratic leader had come out and said masks are useless and won't protect you, those same 98% of Democrats would still be wearing masks.

You can't fix stupid. Unfortunately, stupid has a large megaphone and won't stop yelling.
                      Hawaii has a very strict mask mandate, is an island and is dominated by the Democratic Party?

Why are they seeing a spike in “cases”?

oh yeah because a virus doesn’t care if you standstill (quarantine) and put cloth over your face, even if being told to like a child.

Comment

• Does anyone have a list of all the hosptial systems that are overwhelmed?

https://mobile.twitter.com/justin_ha...31857769619456

Probably not but just wanted to check.

Most likely why we have now shifted over to a “Casedemic” and are acting hysterical every time there is a positive PCR test for Virus RNA.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          And if some big time Democratic leader had come out and said masks are useless and won't protect you, those same 98% of Democrats would still be wearing masks.

And because a sizable portion of this country is stupid, instead of being able to have gotten a handle on this virus sometime over the summer, we are actually never going to really get a handle on it. Too many people are thumbing their noses even at mask mandates. And I am willing to bet they are precisely the people most likely to behave in ways that increase their risks, like congregating in crowded bars or spending a week thumbing their noses at scared wimps like us while they live it up in Sturgis. Sort of like seat belts. The people most likely to not put them on (teenagers and drunk drivers) are the ones most likely to have car accidents.

Outside of work, grocery shopping and about 3 trips to Target in the last 5 months, I haven't gone anywhere where people are congregating. And always when I do go to a store and almost always to a meeting inside at work, I put on a mask. But I was in two of my shops yesterday and today, and I only saw one person wearing face covering other than me. And one of the two states I was in mandates it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Outside of work, grocery shopping and about 3 trips to Target in the last 5 months, I haven't gone anywhere where people are congregating. And always when I do go to a store and almost always to a meeting inside at work, I put on a mask. But I was in two of my shops yesterday and today, and I only saw one person wearing face covering other than me. And one of the two states I was in mandates it.
                            Jebby would call you a puzzy.

Hovey would write three paragraphs about how he would never call someone a word like that for choosing to wear a mask.

But he'd still think you were.
                            Last edited by rufus; 08-14-2020, 02:51 PM.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• I got it. To ease the daily pain and suffering that the COVID deniers think is no big deal, let’s just start rounding up 1000 people each day, and execute them. Same fatality numbers result, just minus the hospital costs and suffering.
                              I mean, according to trumpettes, people are going to die anyways.
                              Don’t like this tongue-in-cheek idea? Well, I’m joking, but the “gain immunity “ morons aren’t and consider grandparents expendable.
                              $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                              Just win.....

Comment

• Great Thread

the latest push for masks has been as "source protection" it's not about you, it's about being considerate & not spreading COV to others it's a great PR soundbite and virtue signal, but is there any actual science behind it? this study sheds real doubt

https://mobile.twitter.com/boriquaga...58667388063747

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01658736

https://mobile.twitter.com/PishPishC...10709054287872

Comment

Working...
                                X