Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fine rundown on the situation with Anchorage.

Or as my friend succinctly put it:
    I learned today that people in Anchorage will run to the rescue of a restaurant(specifically Kriner's Diner) if they feel an injustice has occurred because of a mandate and not because of Kriner's lack of Personal Responsibility , but if Black folks experience injustice for over a century and decide to say enough is enough, Those same Fasci....FASCINATING folks say "Black Lives Matter is a domestic terrorist organization"
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue

IMHO, Hovey is being more hysterical about the economy than the rational talk about COVID19. Again, forgetting that the longer this goes on, especially with increasing numbers, the worse it will be to the economy, as rational people will wait longer to spend money for many things.
      Money. Its all that matters.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Money. Its all that matters.
        No kidding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          A fine rundown on the situation with Anchorage.

Or as my friend succinctly put it:
          Can't they just send in the county health inspector to order the restaurant closed for violating a public health order?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Can't they just send in the county health inspector to order the restaurant closed for violating a public health order?
            Part of me just wants to walk into a place like that and just walk around faking a cough just to be a d***....
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

When you talk about "as a society," it's clear you're only speaking about America. Because the USA is pretty effed up compared to the rest of the world when it comes to prioritizing health over money. You have the sniffles in Germany? You're specifically told to not come into work. And you actually still get paid for it without having to dig into PTO!

The US has decided they'd rather kill 60,000 people per year than provide proper sick leave and health care to everyone. If someone works at Burger King and feels the start of the flu? You're **** right they're coming into work and serving everyone their food. It's the same across the board, even if people are provided sick leave. When I worked in public education, I had something like 30 days of sick leave a year. But "doing my job" was more important than making sure I wasn't making the old ladies in the office sick. I probably used 2 days a year, if that when in reality it should have been more like 10.

Covid is showing just how screwed up America is compared to the rest of the world when it comes to money vs people. As a freelancer, I've been fortunate to keep my job in Germany. But if I was let go due to coronavirus, I'd have a simple form (surprising for Germany) to fill out and I'd have between 9k and 14k euros coming my way to support me. Instead, Americans get a check for $1,200 one time. In the states, that'd have covered 3/4 of a month of rent for me.

The system in the US is broken and I'm hopeful things change after coronavirus. But, let's be honest... as long as 48% of Americans believe the way you do, it's going to be a tough battle to fix the issues that the rest of the world see as insane.
              All of this. I worked in Family Practice. It was taboo to be out sick. My boss would tell people they couldn't go home when they were barely standing. "wear a mask". I got heat for being out after surgery. I had daycares tell my patients that they had to come to work when they were febrile even though they had a note from me, because they got it from the kids, so what was the point of trying to stop transmission. AT&T would make us fill out FMLA paperwork anytime a person was sick. The DOC guys had to get a note if they were out sick no exceptions.
              You will never convince that poster of anything but it is helpful to bring out how much our system is a big fail.

Anyone else wondering what is going to happen after this? There are a lot of 'expendable' people dying, people who the well off folks take for granted to do their dirty work. We aren't importing the help that we used to. Wo is going to do all the things the expendables do?

There is a lot of expense that comes along with people dying- the medical bills, the burying, the legal stuff to close out the person's bills, deal with their belongings. My guess is the hospitals are going to be smacked with unpaid bills with all the uninsured people. This thing makes for long stays before death with lots and lots of intervention. Even if they don't die the bills of the uninsured are not going to be paid.
              Last edited by leswp1; 08-06-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

When you talk about "as a society," it's clear you're only speaking about America. Because the USA is pretty effed up compared to the rest of the world when it comes to prioritizing health over money. You have the sniffles in Germany? You're specifically told to not come into work. And you actually still get paid for it without having to dig into PTO!

The US has decided they'd rather kill 60,000 people per year than provide proper sick leave and health care to everyone. If someone works at Burger King and feels the start of the flu? You're **** right they're coming into work and serving everyone their food. It's the same across the board, even if people are provided sick leave. When I worked in public education, I had something like 30 days of sick leave a year. But "doing my job" was more important than making sure I wasn't making the old ladies in the office sick. I probably used 2 days a year, if that when in reality it should have been more like 10.

Covid is showing just how screwed up America is compared to the rest of the world when it comes to money vs people. As a freelancer, I've been fortunate to keep my job in Germany. But if I was let go due to coronavirus, I'd have a simple form (surprising for Germany) to fill out and I'd have between 9k and 14k euros coming my way to support me. Instead, Americans get a check for $1,200 one time. In the states, that'd have covered 3/4 of a month of rent for me.

The system in the US is broken and I'm hopeful things change after coronavirus. But, let's be honest... as long as 48% of Americans believe the way you do, it's going to be a tough battle to fix the issues that the rest of the world see as insane.
                That's far too much of T3H SOCIAL1SM!!11!! for Hovey, the bigly business owner who really needs another tax cut so he can do more of that job creating that Republicans love to do. Stay over there if you hate 'Murica so much! ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Anyone else wondering what is going to happen after this? There are a lot of 'expendable' people dying, people who the well off folks take for granted to do their dirty work. We aren't importing the help that we used to. Wo is going to do all the things the expendables do?
                  The expendables are expendable for a reason. There are an awful lot of them, they reproduce, and the never learn -- despite the opportunity to see the truth is right in front of them. This describes an overwhelming number of my current union members. These guys aren't unique to my union either. They are repeatable in every union, and in every state. What's worse is those who aren't in unions -- which is over 90% of the private sector workforce -- have one less channel trying to feed them some reality and truth.

Comment

• One note - people laid off due to COVID didn't just get the $1200 one-time payment. They got normal state-provided unemployment and a temporary additional amount from the feds (which has now expired, unfortunately).

I agree with the rest of CF and LES's posts. I think we have a silly neanderthal attitude towards health. When people proudly say "I've never taken a sick day in my adult life" I just roll my eyes and wonder how many coworkers or customers they've gotten sick. I'm generally healthy - I'm lucky that I don't get sick more than maybe every 12-18 months. But I'll be damned if I will come into the office and spread whatever plague I have at the time. It doesn't make you tough. It makes you an idiot.
                    Last edited by Swansong; 08-06-2020, 11:50 AM.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Machines.

It is not a coincidence that massive population growth in the 19th and 20th centuries corresponded to the Ruling Class' need for scores of millions of industrial workers and military cannon fodder.

We don't need them anymore. We don't want them anymore. They aren't cost effective: there are no menial jobs left so they are just extra mouths to feed.

The only value of non-elites now is as consumers, so if they don't have purchasing power they are worse than useless.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                        One note - people laid off due to COVID didn't just get the $1200 one-time payment. They got normal state-provided unemployment and a temporary additional amount from the feds (which has now expired, unfortunately).
                        We should have been doing what other countries did and just paid people to stay home. (a wage not unemployment so no double dipping) UBI would have been cheaper than the crap they implemented and would have helped keep the owners of the small businesses liquid which would have allowed them to stay closed and re-open later.

But no that makes too much sense...lets throw them all on unemployment and overtax a system that in many states is ready to handle it.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Flo(R)ida must have reopened some testing centers cause they went from the 5k they were getting after they closed some off to over 7k today.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

We should have been doing what other countries did and just paid people to stay home. (a wage not unemployment so no double dipping) UBI would have been cheaper than the crap they implemented and would have helped keep the owners of the small businesses liquid which would have allowed them to stay closed and re-open later.

But no that makes too much sense...lets throw them all on unemployment and overtax a system that in many states is ready to handle it.
                            Outside of COVID I am absolutely not a fan of UBI, however in this case I believe firmly that it would have been the right thing to do. Instead of giving people some money and prohibiting rent evictions due to COVID, if we had simply replaced the lost wage, we wouldn't need said eviction prohibition (and the frightening cascade that causes).
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Outside of COVID I am absolutely not a fan of UBI, however in this case I believe firmly that it would have been the right thing to do. Instead of giving people some money and prohibiting rent evictions due to COVID, if we had simply replaced the lost wage, we wouldn't need said eviction prohibition (and the frightening cascade that causes).
                              Don't agree- there are many people who are not making it on their wages and do a lot of other stuff on the side. A lot of those side jobs are not happening now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Machines.

It is not a coincidence that massive population growth in the 19th and 20th centuries corresponded to the Ruling Class' need for scores of millions of industrial workers and military cannon fodder.

We don't need them anymore. We don't want them anymore. They aren't cost effective: there are no menial jobs left so they are just extra mouths to feed.

The only value of non-elites now is as consumers, so if they don't have purchasing power they are worse than useless.
                                For some stuff yes. Other stuff- janitorial, housekeeping, farm workers, people stocking... there are a lot of things machines can't take care of yet. And a lot of things they can't get your run of the mill American to do. There were a lot of stories in NE about hotels not being able to fill openings. In Georgia when they decided to be d1cks about migrant workers the tomatoes rotted in the fields, that kind of thing. We are used to cheap labor. Kill enough of them off (and the people willing to be killed off do this stuff) then what

Comment

Working...
                                X