Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

What I think is amusing is the audacity of kids and grandkids to lecture their elderly parents on what they should or should not be doing in this pandemic. In Minnesota, the mainstream media has even gone so far as to label them "rogue grandparents." OMG, granny has gone rogue on us.

We've even seen a few posters here reference "talks" they've had to have with their parents, like they were pre-schoolers or something.

If I were in my 80's and my kid (or any other) came and told me what I could or could not do because of this pandemic, my response would be to tell them that their concern is noted and logged. Now, go get me a beer.

The one thing elderly people will all tell you they don't have is time. If I make it that far, the last thing I'm going to do is spend it in solitary confinement.
    Sorry Hovey, but I think you're really missing the mark on this one.

Comment

• Jeb....Actually, YOU have to be economically illiterate to think we CAN'T turn the economy on and off. At least in the sense of maintaining the opportunity for the average person to pay their bills AND spend some money to keep the economy moving in at least a minimal fashion. Funny, myself and others have provided ideas about what the government could do (and what other industrialized democracies have done) to allow a significant portion of the workforce to stay at home until we have a vaccine and you refuse to address those ideas -- paying all adults $3,000 a month, while putting a hold on all home, college, and car loans until we have vaccine. Again, even the most pessimistic of scientists are saying we should have a vaccine with significant availability by January or February. And no, that doesn't meet the definition of we "can't keep it locked down FOREVER". Six to eight more months is NOT FOREVER... C'mon Jeb, what's your response to those ideas? If you can, please provide specifics that show we couldn't do that and that it would significantly damage the economy for the long-term.

Next, specifically define what you mean by, "the virus isn't going anywhere during a lockdown". If you mean it will still be in nature? Sure, that's correct. However, literally EVERY RESPECTED EXPERT in virology, epidemiology, and infectious diseases is saying that the ONLY WAY we can get the virus under control now that we've allowed it to get out of control again is to go back into lockdown. At least in the states/areas where the infection rates are above 10%. And yes you idiot, the primary reason for our initial lockdown was to give our hospitals time to build up PPE and figure out their plans for possible surges. However, the reality that you refuse to acknowledge, is that our moron for a president started urging states and the country as a whole to "open up" before a single state had actually met the guidelines provided by his own CDC!. Why? Because he decided that the only way for him to have even a snowball's chance in hell of winning re-election was to do anything he could to get the economy going again. Even if it meant thousands of preventable and unnecessary deaths. And, none of the states -- not a single one -- have opened up within the those guidelines.

Yes, the virus will still be around and, some will still get sick and even die after we come out of lockdown a second time. Nobody is saying or even insinuating any differently. What we -- and all of the experts are saying -- is that by locking down again for another month or two, we CAN and WILL slow the amount of spread significantly which, will give the country time to set up an adequate contact tracing program, take the pressure off of the currently beleaguered testing program so people aren't waiting two weeks for a result, as well as let areas of the country that are running out of ICU beds and experiencing shortages in proper staffing to get caught up. Not surprised you can't or, choose not to see the obvious rationale in locking down. So no you idiot, the virus actually WON'T CONTINUE TO SPREAD AT ANYWHERE NEAR THE CURRENT PACE -- IF we choose to lock down again. It's become extremely obvious that you are either a bot or, are genuinely lacking in the ability to discern normal, logical, fact-based reasoning about any issue or topic.

Comment

What I think is amusing is the audacity of kids and grandkids to lecture their elderly parents on what they should or should not be doing in this pandemic. In Minnesota, the mainstream media has even gone so far as to label them "rogue grandparents." OMG, granny has gone rogue on us.

We've even seen a few posters here reference "talks" they've had to have with their parents, like they were pre-schoolers or something.

If I were in my 80's and my kid (or any other) came and told me what I could or could not do because of this pandemic, my response would be to tell them that their concern is noted and logged. Now, go get me a beer.

The one thing elderly people will all tell you they don't have is time. If I make it that far, the last thing I'm going to do is spend it in solitary confinement.
        I may be wrong, Hovey, but I think others struggle with your willingness to ignore the fact that safety protocols are designed to protect others as much as yourself. It's true that people tend to patronize the elderly as needing more protection than the young, but we can endanger others through our own exposure too.

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post
          Jeb....protesting OUTSIDE with literally 80% plus wearing face coverings. Not surprising we haven't had any type of significant increase that can/has been attributed to those protests. Shouldn't be difficult to comprehend.
          On the other hand, having dumpy rallies indoors with a lot of closely packed, yelling and screaming supporters should be allowed.

It's funny that people condemn people protesting outside with masks (and distancing), but are totally ok with indoor rallies for their holiness.

Comment

• Is jeb seriously worried about extra profits made by hospitals??? Seriously? At the same time as politicians buying up hoards of drugs that don't work and want to lay them out onto the public as if they will do something?

Seriously?

Wow.

After 3.5 years of this administration being one of the most corrupt of all time- including our own president getting money for property he owns from OUR tax payer dollars (which is illegal) AND from other countries (which is unConstitutional). And now they are worried about high death counts fleecing more money? Add in all of the other ways that people are fleecing our taxes and other countries- which is so much deeper than this thread could get into (like selling citizenships)....

Come on.

That's getting desperate.

You don't need to inflate death counts for more money, anyway- just need to get as many people into hospitals as you possibly can. And at the same time, cut other parts of the hospital (which has happened)- and you can profit off of a pandemic.

Comment

Jeb....Actually, YOU have to be economically illiterate to think we CAN'T turn the economy on and off. At least in the sense of maintaining the opportunity for the average person to pay their bills AND spend some money to keep the economy moving in at least a minimal fashion. Funny, myself and others have provided ideas about what the government could do (and what other industrialized democracies have done) to allow a significant portion of the workforce to stay at home until we have a vaccine and you refuse to address those ideas -- paying all adults $3,000 a month, while putting a hold on all home, college, and car loans until we have vaccine. Again, even the most pessimistic of scientists are saying we should have a vaccine with significant availability by January or February. And no, that doesn't meet the definition of we "can't keep it locked down FOREVER". Six to eight more months is NOT FOREVER... C'mon Jeb, what's your response to those ideas? If you can, please provide specifics that show we couldn't do that and that it would significantly damage the economy for the long-term.

Next, specifically define what you mean by, "the virus isn't going anywhere during a lockdown". If you mean it will still be in nature? Sure, that's correct. However, literally EVERY RESPECTED EXPERT in virology, epidemiology, and infectious diseases is saying that the ONLY WAY we can get the virus under control now that we've allowed it to get out of control again is to go back into lockdown. At least in the states/areas where the infection rates are above 10%. And yes you idiot, the primary reason for our initial lockdown was to give our hospitals time to build up PPE and figure out their plans for possible surges. However, the reality that you refuse to acknowledge, is that our moron for a president started urging states and the country as a whole to "open up" before a single state had actually met the guidelines provided by his own CDC!. Why? Because he decided that the only way for him to have even a snowball's chance in hell of winning re-election was to do anything he could to get the economy going again. Even if it meant thousands of preventable and unnecessary deaths. And, none of the states -- not a single one -- have opened up within the those guidelines.

Yes, the virus will still be around and, some will still get sick and even die after we come out of lockdown a second time. Nobody is saying or even insinuating any differently. What we -- and all of the experts are saying -- is that by locking down again for another month or two, we CAN and WILL slow the amount of spread significantly which, will give the country time to set up an adequate contact tracing program, take the pressure off of the currently beleaguered testing program so people aren't waiting two weeks for a result, as well as let areas of the country that are running out of ICU beds and experiencing shortages in proper staffing to get caught up. Not surprised you can't or, choose not to see the obvious rationale in locking down. So no you idiot, the virus actually WON'T CONTINUE TO SPREAD AT ANYWHERE NEAR THE CURRENT PACE -- IF we choose to lock down again. It's become extremely obvious that you are either a bot or, are genuinely lacking in the ability to discern normal, logical, fact-based reasoning about any issue or topic.
              So much disaster in one long bull sh*t post.

You are economically illiterate and that is most likely putting it kindly. You can’t turn off an economy like a light switch and then turn it on with no consequences, that is a fact. Millions of businesses and many more million employees would be adversely affected.

The fact that you want to lock down a country of 330 million and the geographic size of the US says it all. Most parts never had a need to lockdown and certainly don’t today. Who are your top 2-3 model lockdown societies? So I can get some context of what you think is a good idea? You might want to do some thinking if you share a country about the size of flipping Idaho.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Is jeb seriously worried about extra profits made by hospitals??? Seriously? At the same time as politicians buying up hoards of drugs that don't work and want to lay them out onto the public as if they will do something?

Seriously?

Wow.

After 3.5 years of this administration being one of the most corrupt of all time- including our own president getting money for property he owns from OUR tax payer dollars (which is illegal) AND from other countries (which is unConstitutional). And now they are worried about high death counts fleecing more money? Add in all of the other ways that people are fleecing our taxes and other countries- which is so much deeper than this thread could get into (like selling citizenships)....

Come on.

That's getting desperate.

You don't need to inflate death counts for more money, anyway- just need to get as many people into hospitals as you possibly can. And at the same time, cut other parts of the hospital (which has happened)- and you can profit off of a pandemic.
                You posted about hydroxychloroquine being some sort of opportunistic ploy for $. The drug has been around since 1955 and is cheap as sh*t. That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

i said on the other hand if you want to sniff around where the big money really is start sniffing around the hospitals (healthcare system) and the money being dumped into a vaccine, 2009 is a great time to go back a learn from as well.

Like I said it’s 2020 and your “experts” have come up with the “Science” of

Lockdown/shutdown + mask up + wait for a vaccine

A vaccine that is going to create a response of some lasting immunity that the body apparently can’t when it fights of the virus naturally. Lmao.

Last edited by Jeb2020; 07-29-2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post
                  Lockdown/shutdown + mask up + wait for a vaccine

A vaccine that is going to create a response of some lasting immunity that the body apparently can’t when it fights of the virus naturally. Lmao.
                  What do you think a vaccine is for?
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

I may be wrong, Hovey, but I think others struggle with your willingness to ignore the fact that safety protocols are designed to protect others as much as yourself. It's true that people tend to patronize the elderly as needing more protection than the young, but we can endanger others through our own exposure too.
                    burd, first, I don't ignore safety protocols. I have written here before that I don't think I owe any one of you a duty to keep you safe in this pandemic, that you need to be looking out for yourself, but that said, I have also posted that I wear a mask, I don't go out and socialize in bars, I haven't had large gatherings in my home, etc...

What I struggle with regarding the elderly is treating them differently than you or me, setting an onerous set of rules that the rest of the country doesn't have to abide by, even in the most strict of jurisdictions, just because they are in the high risk category.

If they suffer from dementia or alzheimer's or lack the ability to think for themselves, fine, make the decisions to protect them. But if they are capable of making their own decisions, they've earned the right to decide whether they want to meet in groups of six (if related) or four if friends like everyone else I know here in Minnesota.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Maybe demon spunk is the cure for the Covfefe-19.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Sorry Hovey, but I think you're really missing the mark on this one.
                        I am not missing the mark on this one. What we are doing to elderly in nursing homes right now, people who are mentally capable of socializing with family members, will go down as one of the truly cruel acts that we have committed as a society. You've thrown these people in solitary confinement for no crime greater than being old.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• I keep reading people complain that we "can't be on lock down forever". Can someone tell me when anywhere in the US was ever on lock down during this pandemic?

Note: I will not accept people who have tested positive being asked to quarantine as a lock down.

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

I am not missing the mark on this one. What we are doing to elderly in nursing homes right now, people who are mentally capable of socializing with family members, will go down as one of the truly cruel acts that we have committed as a society. You've thrown these people in solitary confinement for no crime greater than being old.
                            The problem here is they aren't making a decision that only puts themselves at risk, they are putting everyone else in the nursing home at risk. You clearly give zero phux about infecting others, but nursing homes have the responsibility to keep all their residents safe. So if someone is mentally capable of socializing with family members, they go right ahead and move out of the home and in with the family members. They cannot put every one of their neighbors at risk just because it is a risk they are ok with taking.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

The problem here is they aren't making a decision that only puts themselves at risk, they are putting everyone else in the nursing home at risk. You clearly give zero phux about infecting others, but nursing homes have the responsibility to keep all their residents safe. So if someone is mentally capable of socializing with family members, they go right ahead and move out of the home and in with the family members. They cannot put every one of their neighbors at risk just because it is a risk they are ok with taking.
                              You're telling me it's impossible to keep nursing home residents, who have socialized with family members, isolated from those who choose not to (or are incapable of making that choice)?

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                                I keep reading people complain that we "can't be on lock down forever". Can someone tell me when anywhere in the US was ever on lock down during this pandemic?

Note: I will not accept people who have tested positive being asked to quarantine as a lock down.
                                I suspect the term "lock down" is being used by people in a broad sense, to include things like limitations on the number of people in restaurants, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X