Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alfablue

My new update- Florida- 87 new dead- maybe an improvement... Michigan- 83 new cases. hmm. Crazy, when Michigan had so many cases a few months ago. Suggestions vs. mandates.
    Michigan added 465 “cases” today. And is top 10 in deaths per 100,000.

Pretty poor showing for a State with all them mandates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post

Michigan added 465 “cases” today. And is top 10 in deaths per 100,000.

Pretty poor showing for a State with all them mandates.
      Don’t confuse state mandates with their citizens following them.

...one hole in a boat still sinks it
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• I do kind of miss student newspapers
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I do kind of miss student newspapers
          Yeah I posted that yesterday. Not a very good look for UNC. And no I am not talking about the headline.

I just heard a local district (I wont say which one) gave the parents the option of in person/hybrid/online and something like 90% of the parents opted in for full time in person. Needless to say this has lots of people rather worried. Especially local business.

edit: Looks like Iowa State students want to risk shutting down the Big XII...

https://twitter.com/mainmagz/status/1294675648565444608

From the comments apparently ISU already has quite a few cases...friggin genius.
          Last edited by Handyman; 08-18-2020, 10:11 AM.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Yeah I posted that yesterday. Not a very good look for UNC. And no I am not talking about the headline.

I just heard a local district (I wont say which one) gave the parents the option of in person/hybrid/online and something like 90% of the parents opted in for full time in person. Needless to say this has lots of people rather worried. Especially local business.

edit: Looks like Iowa State students want to risk shutting down the Big XII...

https://twitter.com/mainmagz/status/1294675648565444608

From the comments apparently ISU already has quite a few cases...friggin genius.
            The K-12 situation is a hard one. Other than just a couple of parents who have a kid who is super at risk, or maybe someone at home who is super at risk, I haven't talked to a single parent that wants anything but in person back to school. Oddly enough, that even includes teachers who have their own kids.

If I were in charge of K-12, everyone from about 7th grade on would be full distance learning. Then I'd use all of my unused middle school and high school space in the district to spread out the K-6th grade and basically isolate groups of 20 or so kids. It wouldn't be ideal, and you'd have to figure out some sort of transportation solution, but the small kids aren't going to successfully distance learn without a parent at home with them, and even then it will be hit and miss.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The K-12 situation is a hard one. Other than just a couple of parents who have a kid who is super at risk, or maybe someone at home who is super at risk, I haven't talked to a single parent that wants anything but in person back to school. Oddly enough, that even includes teachers who have their own kids.

If I were in charge of K-12, everyone from about 7th grade on would be full distance learning. Then I'd use all of my unused middle school and high school space in the district to spread out the K-6th grade and basically isolate groups of 20 or so kids. It wouldn't be ideal, and you'd have to figure out some sort of transportation solution, but the small kids aren't going to successfully distance learn without a parent at home with them, and even then it will be hit and miss.
              Are you going to upstaff teachers in a hurry to accommodate all those extra classes?

It's insane to me that we waited until August to work any of this out. It was apparent in May/June that this wasn't going away, and we ****ed away the whole summer doing nothing.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• UNC reverses course and stops in-person classes, while Notre Dame reported another 89 positive coronavirus tests, most traced to yet another off-campus party attended by too many people, none of them wearing masks. I can't WAIT for football to start.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Are you going to upstaff teachers in a hurry to accommodate all those extra classes?

It's insane to me that we waited until August to work any of this out. It was apparent in May/June that this wasn't going away, and we ****ed away the whole summer doing nothing.
                  Come on, Jared said it would be gone by July!

Comment

And see I dont know any teachers that want to go back...hell 30% in my home district said as such and threatened not to if I heard right. Of course in my home district only 60% of parents said they wanted their kids back full time...

It is a crappy situation but if you see what the protocols are for what schools need to go through just to be up to par it is an impossible task and it is not safe in any way. I get why parents want their kids in school but if I was a teacher over 50 I am contemplating early retirement.

The transportation situation is insane. GF used to work in that area back when she started and it was bad then...with COVID I can only imagine the logistical nightmare awaiting them.

I agree with your plan (most teachers of k-12 I know do) but with the ignorance around in leadership and well stupid parents it just wasnt going to happen. there is no logic in the world these days.
                    Last edited by Handyman; 08-18-2020, 12:40 PM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Our district has ~27k kids total, lets assume about 2/3 are K-8, so 18k. The online only option for k-8 had 2,300 students register through last Friday and the deadline was yesterday, so pretty safe to guess at least 15% of parents are choosing to not send them back (in an area full of Dumpies). The situation isn't really that hard, we have the whole world as an example of what works and what doesn't. Step 1 is reduce cases before doing all the things that cause them to increase. We've been stuck on step 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

Our district has ~27k kids total, lets assume about 2/3 are K-8, so 18k. The online only option for k-8 had 2,300 students register through last Friday and the deadline was yesterday, so pretty safe to guess at least 15% of parents are choosing to not send them back (in an area full of Dumpies). The situation isn't really that hard, we have the whole world as an example of what works and what doesn't. Step 1 is reduce cases before doing all the things that cause them to increase. We've been stuck on step 1.
                        Hospitals are fine and deaths are back to historical levels.

Now we got ourselves a good ole Casedemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          UNC reverses course and stops in-person classes, while Notre Dame reported another 89 positive coronavirus tests, most traced to yet another off-campus party attended by too many people, none of them wearing masks. I can't WAIT for football to start.
                          Yeah it’s so nuts. A bunch of 20 somethings testing positive with a PCR test and having zero symptoms.

Shut er’ down.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue

Not sure where the news gets their data- as the state dashboard does not match the news. And I'm just reporting what the state is reporting.

None the less, thinking that over 400 new cases is bad when Florida is somehow ok with 200 DEATHS is stunningly stupid. That's beyond logic.

Florida needs to do something, and they are not.
                            #HystericalChild ^^^

Florida hasn’t had one day over 200 deaths. And your State is top ten in deaths.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Don’t confuse state mandates with their citizens following them.

...one hole in a boat still sinks it
                              Alpha says it’s working. His State has a mandate for citizens wearing their dirty, bacteria filled masks. Surely a State with a mandate will have more compliance than a State without one. It’s working so well for Michigan they are top 10 in deaths.

But Alpha says Michigan good other places bad.

Aplha is a little #AdultChild

https://mobile.twitter.com/EthicalSk...42689308512258

It would have been valuable to humanity to know this principle of virus epidemiology BEFORE this crisis. Hindsight of course is 20/20 - but this is very basic knowledge that someone should have cited at the very start. The wages of enforcing an Omega Hypothesis.

Last edited by Jeb2020; 08-18-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I don't know who these people you're talking to are, but I haven't talked to a single teacher who wants to go back and I've told our (middle school teacher) daughter if she needs to we'll float her as long as she needs if she has to tell her district to DIAF.

Among parents it splits exactly on education: the ones who understand science are holding their kids back, the conservatives are sending them into the whirring blades.

If it wasn't for the risk to teachers this would be almost as good for the gene pool as a war.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 08-18-2020, 02:03 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X