Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

My god you guys are such martyrs. Except you aren't. Where is John Scopes when you need him.

The state boards of education and the local school boards get to set the rules for what you will or will not teach. By definition these institutions will have a conservative approach, teach the kids only what needs to be taught to get them past standardized tests, get them through the ACT or SAT exams. And they want to do it in a way where their meetings or homes aren't picketed.

If you don't like it, elect different school board members, or politicians who appoint the board of education and have them change the rules (they won't, by the way). Or, better yet, go teach at a university or open your own school and teach whatever you want.

But there won't be any guilty verdict or fine for Kepler's daughter, unlike with Mr. Scopes.
    And that's the news from the Good German.

Can you just taste the arrogance and condescension?
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Good to know that "'Murica: Love it or Leave it!" is still the standard battle cry of the right when they have no other argument.

Comment

My god you guys are such martyrs. Except you aren't. Where is John Scopes when you need him.

The state boards of education and the local school boards get to set the rules for what you will or will not teach. By definition these institutions will have a conservative approach, teach the kids only what needs to be taught to get them past standardized tests, get them through the ACT or SAT exams. And they want to do it in a way where their meetings or homes aren't picketed.

If you don't like it, elect different school board members, or politicians who appoint the board of education and have them change the rules (they won't, by the way). Or, better yet, go teach at a university or open your own school and teach whatever you want.

But there won't be any guilty verdict or fine for Kepler's daughter, unlike with Mr. Scopes.
        Just keep sticking your head in the sand. You know I just might know more about this than you...
        Last edited by Handyman; 01-19-2022, 01:25 PM.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          "So, here's my plan."

Get. Vaccinated. Even if you do test positive, you will weather the storm.
          What the hell?

On Sunday morning, the day she died, Ms Horka said she was feeling better and dressed to go for a walk. But then her back started hurting, so she went to lie down in her bedroom.

"In about 10 minutes it was all over," her son said. "She choked to death".
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Covid's "dead cat bounce"

Comment

What I'm saying is that state boards of education and local school boards can decide what is going to be taught in their schools. If you go to work for them, you have to abide by their wishes, or risk termination. Their schools, their rules. You don't like it, change the school boards or the boards of education. Or go work somewhere else.
              That's odd, last fall a certain campaign was telling everyone in Virginia that school boards are elitist tools of the devil intending to corrupt their innocent children and that every decision at the schools should be made by scraping together whatever parents scream at school board meetings. Now we're told the school boards are right?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

That's odd, last fall a certain campaign was telling everyone in Virginia that school boards are elitist tools of the devil intending to corrupt their innocent children and that every decision at the schools should be made by scraping together whatever parents scream at school board meetings. Now we're told the school boards are right?
                Ding Ding Ding. Tell French Rage what he's won, Johnny!
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• This is weird and I've not seen this happen but a few times. Three justices (two in a joint) have issued statements on this now:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/14...586118658?s=20

Roberts:
                  MORE JUST IN on Maskgate, this time from the Chief Justice: â??I did not request Justice Gorsuch or any other Justice to wear a mask on the bench.â?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

School boards are "right" only in the same sense that juries are "right." We put them in charge of making a decision and they make it.

Now, my entirely personal feelings on CRT and the nonsense surrounding these school board fights and legislation fights is this. No one is teaching CRT in public schools. It's not being taught because they have a hard enough time teaching the curriculum necessary to get these kids out of school and on to whatever future they might have. Furthermore, the teachers couldn't explain CRT to you if they tried. How are they going to explain it to the kids. The whole debate before these boards and legislators is a waste of time. You might as well pass a rule that says you can't teach molecular biology to first graders.

But the proponents of these rules like the fight because it lets them feel like they have a hand in teaching the kids the way they were taught (which is apparently the only way to do it), and you guys like the fight because it gives you another chance to call people racist.

Seems like everyone should be happy.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

You going to attach the nationalization of public education language to that BBB bill?
                      Nah. Barrel of a gun. Think bigger.

BTW, I would personally put every single line item of JLVRA on the floor for a separate vote. That would obliterate the Republicans' duplicity that it's overloaded. Fine. Then vote against the national holiday, considered alone. Vote against a national voter ID standard that will be given freely to everyone and must be accepted by every state for that state's results to be certified, considered alone. Vote against mandatory longer voting hours and against x number of polling stations per capita, considered alone. Vote against each one individually and let them show their true colors.

This is Jim Crow 2 and you guys will remembered with Bull Connor.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2022, 02:06 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Just keep sticking your head in the sand. You know I just might know more about this than you...
                        He's not sticking his head in the sand. He knows and he is being deliberately mendacious. The GOP has known for ages that in a fair election they lose. They chose power over democracy. They don't care, they just want the power.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

School boards are "right" only in the same sense that juries are "right." We put them in charge of making a decision and they make it.
                          By that thinking, any school board can decide that pi = 4.000 and it's ok. Which almost happened in a state.

"Facts" that are decided by the board hides the problems that the "decided" facts are not the full story to tell- be it math, chemistry, or history. Which makes the student lack information. Hardly a good plan.

Comment

But the proponents of these rules like the fight because it lets them feel like they have a hand in teaching the kids the way they were taught (which is apparently the only way to do it), and you guys like the fight because it gives you another chance to call people racist.

Seems like everyone should be happy.
                            Actually, no, we don't like the fight. We wish the crazies would just shut the fuck up and quit trying to exploit every little thing they can think of for their own political self-interest. You know, live in the real world, with real issues to solve.

But, since they won't, someone has to stand up to them, or decisions get made by bullying thugs who believe that might makes right. So, here we are.

Meanwhile, the Good Germans just spectate and comment from the sidelines, cause they just don't want to get their hair mussed, and besides, they're above all that partisan **** anyway.
                            Last edited by rufus; 01-19-2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

What I'm saying is that state boards of education and local school boards can decide what is going to be taught in their schools. If you go to work for them, you have to abide by their wishes, or risk termination. Their schools, their rules. You don't like it, change the school boards or the boards of education. Or go work somewhere else.
                              They'd love to choose what they know is right if not being pressured/threatened by MAGAs intent on pushing the West's version of sharia law onto our children. It's the same reason why despite sound reasoning telling us we should have continued with precautions to minimize covid most governmental bodies threw their hands in the air and said, "Fuck it you win your body your choice". You cannot be this unintentionally obtuse regarding what is happening.

Comment

• So we should sit back and let people change education for the worse? Genius plan if you are a coward...or an idiot.

I'm sure history isn't littered with cowards saying the same thing and having it destroy countries. I'm obviously clutching pearls.

I remember when the Left wanted to soften education by taking race and sex out of it...amazingly that was bad even to most of us SJHovey is arguing with. I wonder how that works...

But hey it is super easy to teach about slavery without discussing racism. Just ask the WASPs...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X