Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

    I wouldn't touch this bet. I would, however, put up said $10 that more than a few who are preaching at and shaming others for not getting the COVID vaccine have not received a flu vaccine.
    What's more than a few?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

    Comment


    • Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

      I wouldn't touch this bet. I would, however, put up said $10 that more than a few who are preaching at and shaming others for not getting the COVID vaccine have not received a flu vaccine.
      Do the math. Without ANY actions like masking, social distancing, working from home, etc- the flu killed 1/10 of what COVID has with massive amounts of mitigation outside of vaccines. The flu never really overwhelmed any hospital in the country, let alone all of them at the same time, around the world.

      So, no, I didn't get a flu vaccine. This risk is very different. Not sure why it's not ok to adjust one's knowledge based on the situation.

      One other difference- the flu didn't face a bunch of people claiming it wasn't real, or that the vaccine is either not needed or deadly, and when schools had to close due to a lot students with the flu- there wasn't angry mobs at school boards. Most of what I see here is shaming of those people. The ones actively fighting reality.

      COVID isn't the flu. And the best way to get back to the flu kind of numbers is via a vaccine.
      Last edited by MichVandal; 01-08-2022, 08:37 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

        The flu never really overwhelmed any hospital in the country, let alone all of them at the same time, around the world.

        So, no, I didn't get a flu vaccine. This risk is very different. Not sure why it's not ok to adjust one's knowledge based on the situation.

        COVID isn't the flu. And the best way to get back to the flu kind of numbers is via a vaccine.
        One stupid Fock
        Last edited by Jeb2020; 01-08-2022, 09:08 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

          Do the math. Without ANY actions like masking, social distancing, working from home, etc- the flu killed 1/10 of what COVID has with massive amounts of mitigation outside of vaccines. The flu never really overwhelmed any hospital in the country, let alone all of them at the same time, around the world.

          So, no, I didn't get a flu vaccine. This risk is very different. Not sure why it's not ok to adjust one's knowledge based on the situation.

          One other difference- the flu didn't face a bunch of people claiming it wasn't real, or that the vaccine is either not needed or deadly, and when schools had to close due to a lot students with the flu- there wasn't angry mobs at school boards. Most of what I see here is shaming of those people. The ones actively fighting reality.

          COVID isn't the flu. And the best way to get back to the flu kind of numbers is via a vaccine.
          It’s quite possible that a future flu season or ten will make Covid numbers look like flu numbers. Now, if more people were annually vaccinated against the flu, the number of hosts for it to infect would shrink, lengthening the process in its pursuit of killing perfection.
          I only regularly started receiving flu vaccinations within the last five or so years, so I can’t even remotely claim to stand on the high ground on this one. That said, saying that the current variations of Covid are worse than current variations of the flu means there is no need to get vaccinated against the flu, that doesn’t make any sense. Barring a legitimate, valid medical reason for not getting a flu vaccine, and you might, I won’t claim to know you, it’s hard to come up with a good reason why you don’t get the flu vaccine. No shaming or judgment implied. Viruses mutate. Vaccinate to slow the mutation.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

            I wouldn't touch this bet. I would, however, put up said $10 that more than a few who are preaching at and shaming others for not getting the COVID vaccine have not received a flu vaccine.
            You'd be wrong. Other than the medically exempted, the only people not getting the vaccine are morons who aren't getting it because they're too stupid to choose science over their cult leaders. There is no logical reason not to get the vaccine if you can. That the Right can't see this is exactly why they're unfit to make decisions in an adult community.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

              Do the math. .....Not sure why it's not ok to adjust one's knowledge based on the situation.
              Just to be be that I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying is that you feel that the risk of contracting influenza does not justify the risks of receiving the vaccination for you? In other words, you have concluded that the potential benefit that you would obtain from the vaccine are not worth the potential risks. If that's not what you meant, then I'll apologize in advance but please clarify it for me. If it is, then:

              The vast majority of reasons to get vaccinated can be distilled down to two main reasons (at least in my opinion)
              1. To protect yourself from the disease that you are being vaccinated against
              2. To better protect and serve "the Herd" (protecting those at risk, economic reasons, access, etc.)

              In most, but not all, the risks of vaccination is low. I mean really low. But there are definite risks involved. Most vaccines have the risk of pain and fever but these are no big deal. However, vaccines can also carry the risks of things like anaphylaxis, GBS, or TTS. Those things can kill you or cause significant morbidity. Again, the risks involved with vaccination are extremely low but in some people, those very low risks are perceived as being equal or greater than contracting the illness (influenza being a good example due to it's fairly low lethality/morbidity). You have seemingly made this choice concerning flu vaccination.
              Next, one has to decide if those low risks are worth taking in order to help "the Herd". This can be a tough question. Am I willing to take that risk just to help my fellow man? It's an easy decision when you, yourself are at high risk from the illness but not so easy when you aren't. Currently the young are at very limited risk from COVID but have a seemingly higher risk of myocarditis and TTS from vaccination. Based on current stats, it is not necessarily wrong for a 20 y/o healthy female to conclude that getting infected with COVID is less than the risk of getting vaccinated (assuming that she is not concerned with helping "the Herd"). Her risks are extremely low either way so why should she get a shot just to help me out? Sure COVID is far more lethal than influenza but not necessarily to her. Should we force her to get a COVID vaccine to protect others from that increased lethality when her risk from the jab is similar to her risk of the disease? Why then, shouldn't we force you to get a Influenza vaccine for the same reasons? Both of you have decided that Reason 1 is far more important in your decision process than Reason 2 is.
              Now, don't misconstrue the above as me being any way, shape, or form an anti-vaxxer. I just think that there can be a rational decision made to not get a vaccine. It's selfish as ****, but I can respect it. Just be prepared to live (or die) with the consequences. To me, the answer to forcing the 20 y/o female to get a COVID vaccine and you to get a flu vaccine is yes. Yes, vaccines should be mandatory for the benefit of "the Herd" (assuming no true medical contra-indications). You can choose not to take the mandatory vaccination should you wish. We will be happy to provide you comfort measures should you contract the illness.

              TLDR: Don't biotch if someone opts not to get a COVID vaccine and you make a similar decision about the flu vaccine.
              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
              Groucho Marx
              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
              Ron White
              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
              Milo Bloom

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                You'd be wrong. Other than the medically exempted, the only people not getting the vaccine are morons who aren't getting it because they're too stupid to choose science over their cult leaders. There is no logical reason not to get the vaccine if you can. That the Right can't see this is exactly why they're unfit to make decisions in an adult community.
                Yes, yes I know. ALL the world's problem are caused by the Right just like ALL your posts remind us of that regardless of the subject at hand. Now. Sit up straight. Try not to be so nervous. Later on we'll get ice cream.
                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                Groucho Marx
                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                Ron White
                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                Milo Bloom

                Comment


                • Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Then why are they trusting those doctors? Why isn't there a Q hospital, with Q doctors, to fix Q problems.

                  Sounds like a missed opportunity to me.
                  The doctor wouldn't give her Ivermectin...

                  Personally I say give them the dewormer...make their suffering even worse.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

                  "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

                  Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                    What's more than a few?
                    Ahem
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

                      TLDR: Don't biotch if someone opts not to get a COVID vaccine and you make a similar decision about the flu vaccine.
                      We are going to surpass annual flu deaths for all of 2022 by January 20th. But sure, go on about them being equivalent.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by busterman62 View Post


                        TLDR: Don't biotch if someone opts not to get a COVID vaccine and you make a similar decision about the flu vaccine.
                        There is differences between this vaccine and the flu vaccine. It is not an apples to apples comparison and I know you know that. The COVID vaccines are made to attack COVID and its variants. (and can be updated) The flu vaccine is a highly educated guess that is no guarantee to really stop the flu since there are so many different versions out there.

                        I am not arguing for or against the flu vaccine mind you just saying they are not the same thing.

                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

                        "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

                        Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                        Comment


                        • https://twitter.com/ashleynmcb/statu...04608368476161

                          Oakland students have started a petition demanding increased testing, KN95 masks for everyone, and outdoor eating areas at every school, or switch to remote learning. If demands are not met, students say they’ll go on strike beginning Jan. 18. #oakedu
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

                          "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

                          Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

                            There is differences between this vaccine and the flu vaccine. It is not an apples to apples comparison and I know you know that. The COVID vaccines are made to attack COVID and its variants. (and can be updated) The flu vaccine is a highly educated guess that is no guarantee to really stop the flu since there are so many different versions out there.

                            I am not arguing for or against the flu vaccine mind you just saying they are not the same thing.
                            Mortality & Morbidity: COVID illness ≠ Influenza illness
                            Risks & Benefits: COVID vaccine ≠ Influenza vaccine
                            However:
                            Principle reasons to get COVID vaccine = Principle reasons to get Influenza vaccine
                            Decision process(are the benefits worth the risks) to decide on getting COVID vaccine = Decision process(are the benefits worth the risks) to decide on getting Influenza vaccine

                            *Feel free to exchange COVID and/or Influenza with Zoster, MMR, DPT, Polio, Pneumonia, etc.



                            IIRC, we've had a similar discussion about this in the past. You have chosen not to receive a flu vaccine for reasons that you feel are valid. In making that decision you decided that:
                            [Risks/benefits to you from vaccine] ≥ [Risks of you contracting Dz] ≤ [potential benefit to society] ∴ vaccine is not warranted
                            However for COVID you have seemingly decided that:
                            [Risks of you contracting Dz] ≥ [Risks/benefits to you from vaccine] ≤ [potential benefit to society] ∴ vaccine is warranted
                            While I may disagree with the results (I think that the risks from the shots are very, very low and the potential benefits to the person and to the herd are high.), I respect that decision making process. What I don't respect is someone (not saying you) that used the same decision making process that you used for the flu vaccine biotching about someone who did the same with COVID (despite what our resident experts says, one can make a good statistical argument in certain individuals that the risks of a COVID vaccine IS greater than them contracting the Dz). It's hypocritical IMO.

                            FYI. I had to put in additional hours yesterday as my daytime counterpart just tested positive despite receiving his third booster in October. I guess that I could just explain to him that: The COVID vaccine is a highly educated guess that is no guarantee to really stop the COVID since there are so many different versions out there. (Sorry, I forget how to strike words)




                            Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                            We are going to surpass annual flu deaths for all of 2022 by January 20th. But sure, go on about them being equivalent.
                            [Sarcasm] Yes, my entire diatribe was based on COVID and the flu being equivalent.[/Sarcasm]
                            That's nowhere close to what I'm saying. C'mon dx, you're better than that.
                            See above

                            ETA:
                            Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                            What's more than a few?
                            >1<7.9 billion
                            Last edited by busterman62; 01-09-2022, 01:35 AM.
                            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                            Groucho Marx
                            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                            Ron White
                            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                            Milo Bloom

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by psych View Post

                              It’s quite possible that a future flu season or ten will make Covid numbers look like flu numbers. Now, if more people were annually vaccinated against the flu, the number of hosts for it to infect would shrink, lengthening the process in its pursuit of killing perfection.
                              I only regularly started receiving flu vaccinations within the last five or so years, so I can’t even remotely claim to stand on the high ground on this one. That said, saying that the current variations of Covid are worse than current variations of the flu means there is no need to get vaccinated against the flu, that doesn’t make any sense. Barring a legitimate, valid medical reason for not getting a flu vaccine, and you might, I won’t claim to know you, it’s hard to come up with a good reason why you don’t get the flu vaccine. No shaming or judgment implied. Viruses mutate. Vaccinate to slow the mutation.
                              It's what I don't understand about sports. You see all the time, four or five hockey or bouncy-ball players miss a game or three because they came down with the flu, or you'll have the flu run through an entire team over the course of a week or two.

                              Why don't these players just get the flu shot? Why don't the teams insist upon it?
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

                              Comment


                              • Buster- it's not the risk, it's the effort that we've not gotten the influenza vaccine before.

                                Again, it's not just a risk of death thing- when was the last time influenza overwhelmed hospitals? If it did, I probably would have done my part and get a vaccine. But it's never done that- the worse the flu has ever done was close one or two schools in a community.

                                The system math changed with COVID. And I changed along with it.

                                So far, the math that if you don't get the vaccine is still playing out, but the people who deserve the abuse are the ones actively trying to tell people to not get it, and at the same time fighting all efforts to stem the tide. As if they want the hospital system to get overwhelmed and people to die.

                                Also, even though you seem to think the vaccines are the same thing, I also think they are not- since the old method took a lot of time, the creators had to project into the future a lot, so the effectiveness was sometimes 50/50. If the system changes to the faster development system that COVID got- it's accuracy will become greatly enhanced- which also makes the effort to get one more useful.

                                Even though I had not gotten an influenza vaccine, I never told people that they should not get one, or that they should go to work/school even though they are clearly sick, etc. So please reconsider your equivalency.
                                Last edited by MichVandal; 01-09-2022, 09:24 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X