Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

I've read this too. Not sure what to think about it. The issue is that it takes so little viral load of omicron to infect someone, that the rapid tests may not be sensitive enough to detect it those first day or two.

Honestly, I think for many of us, Omicron will burn out before this is properly vetted and acted upon. But Omicron is going to surge in various regions the same way Delta and other variants have - just much, much more quickly.
    Yeah, this is my thought as well. We don't have time with Omicron. It's (like, I believe, you and others have said) probably the most infectious disease in history. An insanely lucky break for humanity. I'm on record saying I think February 2022 looks a hell of a lot closer to December 2019 than even pre-Delta. However, I'd be lying if I didn't have a small naive worry in the back of my head that this thing mutates to just as infectious, but far more deadly. Perhaps that's impossible without also exposing more of the spike and its receptors that antibodies bind to thus giving us a better immune response. Holiday Inn Express degrees like mine only get us so far. :-)
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
      To piggyback off that MN data, in Miami-Dade right now, 29% unvaccinated population make up 70% of hospital admissions.

But yeah, vaccines totes don't work.
      I agree, it is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that the vaccines continue to be effective even in the face of Omicron - definitely against severe disease and also against infection and transmission in the first place (to a lesser extent).

Massachusetts is about to start compiling data differentiating between who presented at the hospital because of covid sickness and who incidentally tested positive while they were there for other reasons. Anyone want to take a bet at weather the vaccinated or unvaccinated group has more people who were going to the hospital for another reason and happened to test positive for Covid while they were there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

That’s been out for over a week now. I’d get behind the hypothesis based on the data I’ve seen.

careful on Twitter, you’re just trying to stir up drama without Twitter I’d be missing updates from some good epis
        OTOH, I think personal biases towards a specific solution are getting in the way for some. Like I've said so many times, Mina proselytizes rapid tests like none other. However, he's kind of tied his entire cart to that horse and my dumb a-ss thinks he's becoming a little blind to the fact that false negatives are a major issue with these things. When rapids were thought to detect within a day (plus or minus) of symptoms, they were a great solution. If they miss, consistently, 1-3 days after symptoms, maybe not so much. Fast turnaround PCRs (read as: dramatic increase in capacity) or more sensitive antigen tests are absolutely needed if we're going to live in an omicron world.

To your point, I agree and think it's good to get a broad set of perspectives rather than focus on one solution or view.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

OTOH, I think personal biases towards a specific solution are getting in the way of others. Like I've said so many times, Mina proselytizes rapid tests like none other. However, he's kind of tied his entire cart to that horse and my dumb a-ss thinks he's becoming a little blind to the fact that false negatives are a major issue with these things. Fast turnaround PCRs (read as: dramatic increase in capacity) or more sensitive antigen tests are absolutely needed if we're going to live in an omicron world.

To your point, I agree and think it's good to get a broad set of perspectives rather than focus on one solution or view.
          Pcr testing ability should have been ramped up ages ago- my biggest beef with this admin re Covid

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I agree, it is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that the vaccines continue to be effective even in the face of Omicron - definitely against severe disease and also against infection and transmission in the first place (to a lesser extent).

Massachusetts is about to start compiling data differentiating between who presented at the hospital because of covid sickness and who incidentally tested positive while they were there for other reasons. Anyone want to take a bet at weather the vaccinated or unvaccinated group has more people who were going to the hospital for another reason and happened to test positive for Covid while they were there?
            I don’t really understand how you segregate them. I mean maybe for a car crash or something like that but my expectation would be Covd makes any condition worse and how do you apportion blame between the underlying condition and Covid?
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
              I came here to post that story. What a bunch of ****wits...

I found out some people I know that are vaxxed and boosted are dealing with some hellish breakthrough cases right now. They are not the healthiest people in general but still.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I don’t really understand how you segregate them. I mean maybe for a car crash or something like that but my expectation would be Covd makes any condition worse and how do you apportion blame between the underlying condition and Covid?
                Well, any physical injury for sure. Beyond that, I don't know. I'll let the medical professionals sort that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Well, any physical injury for sure. Beyond that, I don't know. I'll let the medical professionals sort that out.
                  Medical or political ; )?
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Oddly, ACB seems to be leaning towards OSHA has the authority, but only in more narrow cases (healthcare workers, meatpackers, etc.)
                    And oddly, I find myself agreeing with this take. They clearly have the authority to impose it on sectors where pathogen exposure is unavoidable. White collar paper-pushers who can meet over Zoom and do all their work remotely are another matter that is likely best left to the leadership of individual firms. I know there are folks here who won't agree with that, but that's how I see it having now been on both sides of the coin.

Comment

• Gorsuch pulls out a fox talking point that hundreds of thousands of us die of flu each year. Ummm

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Gorsuch pulls out a fox talking point that hundreds of thousands of us die of flu each year. Ummm
                        Wait, a Supreme is dipping into politics? I thought that was sort of forbidden?
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/...10600430415874

Two of the lawyers presenting arguments to the Supreme Court to block Biden's vaccine mandate have tested positive for COVID. Because of course.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• And they will probably survive and roll right back into saying, "See? It's just the flu!"

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

And they will probably survive and roll right back into saying, "See? It's just the flu!"
                              It’s just like a cold, would be more accurate.

Comment

• “The common cold is generally not lethal, with some rare exceptions”, the Digital Health Lab explains. “The flu, which is deadlier than the common cold, killed 0.1% of the people who contracted it in 2019. It is still too early to discern accurate global death estimates for people who have contracted COVID-19, but estimates have ranged from 1% to 25% of all cases, depending on the country”.

The experts argue that a conservative death rate of 1% would therefore make COVID-19 at least 10 times as deadly as the flu, and therefore “significantly more lethal” than the common cold.
                                https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKCN26D0XT

Yeah, it's the ****ing cold.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X