Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Camus has a character in The Fall who says, there are only 2 questions: do you have property, and do you share it with the poor.

My answers and yes and no. And that's why I'm going to hell like John Constantine.

So I'll explain that I'm not a 1%er by saying that I know Camus as an expensive wine....

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

The part about not reporting being sick isn't policial. It's just the nature of people- be it that they are work-aholics or worried about the cost of getting sick (either lost earnings or the cost of going to a doctor). Add to that, for many people, this virus was mostly a bad cold- and when was the last time you went to a doctor for a cold- let alone stayed home from work.
      My point is it's not political, it's a baseline life attitude. And I'm not talking about workaholic business dooshes, I'm talking about people who will get canned if they miss work and who can't afford to miss a day's pay, anyway (post-Reagan Miracle, about half the country's workers).

As for staying home with a cold I always do because I don't want to make my co-workers sick and because I'll take any excuse to stay away from the plantation for a day.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My point is it's not political, it's a baseline life attitude. And I'm not talking about workaholic business dooshes, I'm talking about people who will get canned if they miss work and who can't afford to miss a day's pay, anyway (post-Reagan Miracle, about half the country's workers).

As for staying home with a cold I always do because I don't want to make my co-workers sick and because I'll take any excuse to stay away from the plantation for a day.
        One regret I have for my career- not using all of the sick days I was given, and I lost them every year. The later I got, the more often the sniffles kept me home. Until now, that I'm always home and working.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Yeah with everything moving so global by the time you notice it it's already everywhere. Shutting down plane flights is closing the barn door after the horses are out; addressing it is always going to be through vaccinating and treating.
          I was surprised when doctors said the flight ban was medical security theater. Yes, I get it, too late to stop initial transmission, but it can slow down the velocity of transmission, right?
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Two homes? 1%'er.
            Could be more.

I'm pretty sure I posted this a long time ago in this thread, but Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill died on Feb 1,2020, of a respiratory illness, two months after his band had finished a tour which included dates in China. In retrospect, his wife believes it was Covid, as she was also very sick at some point while he was either in hospital, or just after he died.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Could be more.

I'm pretty sure I posted this a long time ago in this thread, but Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill died on Feb 1,2020, of a respiratory illness, two months after his band had finished a tour which included dates in China. In retrospect, his wife believes it was Covid, as she was also very sick at some point while he was either in hospital, or just after he died.
              I didn't know this. Also, god bless the Gang of Four.

If Andy Gill brings down capitalism by COVID, he will be happy in Marxist Heaven.
              Cornell University

Comment

I was surprised when doctors said the flight ban was medical security theater. Yes, I get it, too late to stop initial transmission, but it can slow down the velocity of transmission, right?
                Fair point.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Looked up more of this to see if there was any updated info. None really, but one of her reasons for suspicion of Covid was that their tour manager, 26 years old, came back from China and then went out with another band for a tour of the UK. After a week or so on that tour, he was found in his room in such respiratory distress, that they took him to one of the best hospitals in the country instead of the nearest local one.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Fair point.
                    But apparently not, because the medicos, who I trust, say a flight ban was worthless. I don't understand how that can be but I am clearly missing something. I would think "the less the little atoms bump into each other the better." But... no?
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

And keep in mind, it had a significantly lower effective transmission rate because the time between infection and symptoms was several days longer at the shortest and up to two weeks. And the viral load was orders of magnitude lower than with delta and omicron. The first spread fast, but it's almost like comparing a model T to a Ferrari.
                      Agreed, however it was still unbelievably transmissible. More like comparing a high end Tesla to a Ferrari.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

There has been some evidence to indicate it may have, I stress may have, been infecting people in China as early as September of 2019. They just didn't realize what was going on at the time since there were so few cases initially.

We do know that people in America got it before the first cases in Washington were being reported. I think, for now, they have traced the first case to someone in Colorado, but I can't remember how much earlier it was before the Washington cases occurred.

I agree with those that say people were carrying this virus around the world well before anyone realized what was happening. We had no hope of containing this at the start.
                        Thanks for the clarification, I also read some speculation on that (that Covid may have "jumped" in September), but that is super, super speculative. We'll never know, which is supremely frustrating.

And I agree with the rest of your point as well as Kep's - by the time any of us hear about something like this, it's everywhere. So do not discount February infections, I just think it's unlikely as it was such a ruthlessly bad URI year in general.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1478778328014274567

The Mayo Clinic is firing roughly 700 employees who failed to comply with the nonprofit medical center's mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy.
                          Now deny their fucking selfish azzes unemployment.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1478778328014274567

Now deny their fucking selfish azzes unemployment.
                            Totally agree with your statement but for perspective:
                            "Nearly 99 percent of employees across all Mayo Clinic locations complied with Mayo’s required Covid-19 vaccination program by the Jan. 3 deadline," the clinic said of its staff, which consists of around 73,000 workers.
                            So that's about 1% of their workforce. The article also does not indicate where many of these 700 fucking dip****s actually work; are they in patient care? administrative? Billing? IT/Business Analyst (like me!)? But the point is, Mayo is huge. This isn't your local hospital losing 700 employees.

Comment

• RIT is requiring all students and staff to get the booster shot.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• My company is now requiring everybody to be vaccinated, I believe by the end of January, or be tested once a week.

Other good thing is that the bonus money they were paying per week is now a permanent pay raise for all full-time employees. And the bonuses will be back for the busy summer months on top of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X