Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    shame on the media for this.
    This. They're driving me nuts with the headlines from super spreader events, saying things like "50% of the people that got Covid were vaccinated." But leave out the fact that 95+% of the people were vaccinated until the last paragraph.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      About the Delta variant, the claim, by some, is it is more transmissible, but is it more deadly? Same question for this Lambda variant. I'm not finding lots of data on mortality of Delta or Lambda vs the baseline.

One expert* says this:

"So far we have seen no indication that the lambda variant is more aggressive," Jairo Mendez-Rico, a WHO virologist, told the Deutsche Welle. "It is possible that it may exhibit higher infection rates, but we don't yet have enough reliable data to compare it to gamma or delta." He told the German outlet that as SARS-CoV-2 evolves, it may start to become more transmissible, but not as deadly. (<-- that is the usual 'flight path' of most viruses.)

*My two favorite engineering definitions of "expert":
      - anyone from more than 40 miles away, because if they drove that far they must know more than us, or
      - X is the unknown factor, and spurt is a drip under pressure --> X-spurt.
      If you are trying to prevent people from getting vaccinated for some reason, go for it. Keep downplaying it, and letting people die in an incredibly preventable way. Seeing that ~99% of people who are now dying are not vaccinated, your movement is working perfectly.

(otherwise, what's your point?)

Comment

Agreed totally. In a growing number of states, there just isn't enough of a population that hasn't received a vaccine and/or been infected (in either case, they have at least some level of immunity) for things to rise beyond a small brush fire. My heart breaks for people in low-vaccination states who will be infected and die from an entirely preventable disease, but it is what it is.
        If the reason they are not vaccinated is that they don't have access to the vaccine, yes. Or if they have actual medical reasons to not get a vaccination, sure.

But what I'm seeing is that most people who are not vaccinated at this point are that way because of personal choice. And because of that choice, they are telling everyone in the world to not care about them at all. Who I feel sorry for are the healthcare workers who are tasked with keeping them alive, since they are largely wasting their time.

It's almost getting to the point that I'm wondering if I should not wear a mask so that I can spread it to people who refuse good science.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          Viruses will always continue to mutate when they have hosts, and republicans give them plenty of hosts.

it’s a concern but as far as we know, you’re going to be ok if you get it and have been vaccinated. Red states can pass delta around al day long and I’m not going to freak out unless it somehow mutates to something scary.
          my only real concern here are kids and compromised people who can’t get vaxxed yet.
          I hope you’re right it just seems like with Covid once bad news starts to accumulate things usually go to hell. Our country has done such an unbelievably horrible job managing the pandemic I now expect the worst.

Edit: UK reported their highest number of Covid cases since January 29th today...
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I hope you’re right it just seems like with Covid once bad news starts to accumulate things usually go to hell. Our country has done such an unbelievably horrible job managing the pandemic I now expect the worst.
            It wasn't "our country," it was the morons in power when it hit. Since we put the adults in charge there has been an enormous improvement.

The American Disaster was a Republican Disaster.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• "it may become less deadly" is wishful thinking that flies in the face of facts at hand, as well. Who is this "expert" and what was the full context of this question? Claiming that is how most viruses work is ignoring about 25 trillion factors that are absolutely not yet at play here.

Relatively fewer people are dying from COVID now than in April of 2020 because of a bunch of (very broad) reasons:
              • Some small number of current infections are among the vaccinated, which offers a substantial amount of help
              • We are better at treating it in general, between new antibody treatments, the wide use of steroids, the dropping of the HCQ junk, the use of newer, different breathing assistance devices, etc.
              • Hospitals are not full and we aren't stretching clinicians beyond the breaking point
              • A lot of people have already been infected and have at least some level of immunity/resistance

I truly don't understand what Sic's point is.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• We live in a seven-second-soundbyte-Sesame-Street-short-attention-span world.

One number statistics, which always lack context, pass as "newsworthy".

Want context? Look at the data for yourself (and question what isn't available to look at).

https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-c...onavirus-cases

https://doh.sd.gov/COVID/Dashboard.aspx
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

If you are trying to prevent people from getting vaccinated for some reason, go for it. Keep downplaying it, and letting people die in an incredibly preventable way. Seeing that ~99% of people who are now dying are not vaccinated, your movement is working perfectly.

(otherwise, what's your point?)
                  My point?

Is Delta or Lambda carrying a higher morbidity? I'm hearing "communicable", but not the other information.

So how's that stopping someone?
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Again, what is your point, other than to show that nearly 1/500 North Dakota residents have died of COVID (and I'll take the over on that)?

That is miserably, horrifically bad. That's pre-vaccine-discovery-level bad. That is positively embarrassing for a first world country this far into the 21st century.

Comment

My point?

Is Delta or Lambda carrying a higher morbidity? I'm hearing "communicable", but not the other information.

So how's that stopping someone?
                      The different between these variants are in the spike protein, not in the "money" part of the virus, so in theory the CFR should be pretty much the same. But they're new and data isn't full yet.

Again, I ask, what your main issue is, other than to argue and be argumentative.

Comment

Again, I ask, what your main issue is, other than to argue and be argumentative.
                        Are the Delta and Lambda variants as bad as baseline? As you say, the CFR should be pretty much the same, but they're new, so, we don't know. Thank you for the simple answer to a simple question.

My point to posting ND and SD data is those two states have pretty solid vax rollout and their cases and deaths have dropped. (Pop around those sites; they're pretty good for data.)

https://www.health.nd.gov/covid19vaccine/dashboard

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Are the Delta and Lambda variants as bad as baseline? As you say, the CFR should be pretty much the same, but they're new, so, we don't know. Thank you for the simple answer to a simple question.

My point to posting ND and SD data is those two states have pretty solid vax rollout and their cases and deaths have dropped. (Pop around those sites; they're pretty good for data.)

https://www.health.nd.gov/covid19vaccine/dashboard
                          Well, we don't know for sure about Delta or Lambda (or Gamma), but "as bad" is pretty subjective and depends how you define it. They are - most likely - about as lethal on a case-by-case basis because the variation is only related to the method of infection. But they are substantially more infectious than previous variants. The ratio of infection or case to mortality (IFR or CFR) will probably not change in a substantial way, but with rising cases comes rising mortality, particularly among the non-vaccinated.

Comment

• Not that I need any new reasons to hate Dumpies but it is true that the more unvaccinated people there are the higher the likelihood of further mutations which could then end run our existing vaccines? The more we allow this thing to be out there the more it re-sorts itself?
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Not that I need any new reasons to hate Dumpies but it is true that the more unvaccinated people there are the higher the likelihood of further mutations which could then end run our existing vaccines? The more we allow this thing to be out there the more it re-sorts itself?
                              I'm no virologist, but isn't mutation "normal" virus behavior (Swan?) --> see: the flu shot is an annual "most likely" best guess.

The seasonal influenza (flu) vaccine is designed to protect against the three or four influenza viruses that research indicates are most likely to spread and cause illness among people during the upcoming flu season. Flu viruses are constantly changing, so the vaccine composition is reviewed each year and updated as needed based on which influenza viruses are making people sick, the extent to which those viruses are spreading, and how well the previous season’s vaccine protects against those viruses.
                              https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm

I look forward to the day SARS CoV-2 is just another option on the best guess rotation.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Viruses are incredibly unstable by nature as they mostly (or entirely?) lack the self-correcting functionality that "normal" DNA has. Some viruses are insanely unstable (influenza), and others relatively stable (coronaviruses in general). But keep in mind that there is a chance for mutation with every single infection, and we've given SARS2 zillions of chances for mutation because we're stupid.

Here's an interesting primer:
                                https://www.breakthroughs.com/advanc...-means-vaccine

Here's a more in-the-weeds article from the NIH:
                                https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5075021/

edit:
                                It would be extremely unlikely for COVID to start mutating at the rate influenza mutates (which is relentless). That would be very bad for us in the medium term, but the physical construction of the viruses are wildly different so by nature they'd act differently. We may need booster shots (and seriously, most vaccines require a booster at some point, why is it so frightening to people that this might too?), but it is rather less than likely that COVID boosters would have to change so often as influenza shots.
                                Last edited by Swansong; 07-06-2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X