Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Former posters who have recently gotten the ban hammer disagree.
    Yeah I still don't get that one. I mean I get the idea of picking a sacrificial lamb to pretend you still monitor the board but that is the wrong sacrificial lamb. That is like the NCAA destroying Cleveland State instead of Kentucky.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      The MN COVID vaccine lottery is a bit weird. One of my wife’s coworkers also won an appointment, but she has to drive to Thief River Falls for the shot. Say what?!
      I signed my parents up for it...it asks you where you would like to get the shot at least for the old people. No idea how it works for us younger people.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• In a nutshell

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          And half the people believe that...
          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• What’s happening in Manaus is not good.

I have to think the single case in Minnesota has probably already spread

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...jgFjGt3zwMymJc

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              What’s happening in Manaus is not good.

I have to think the single case in Minnesota has probably already spread

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...jgFjGt3zwMymJc
              We have Brazilian friends whose extended family live in Manaus.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• The J&J news was quite encouraging at least...
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  The J&J news was quite encouraging at least...
                  Extremely. A third option, and a single dose one that doesn't require special freezers.

I would advise everyone to be careful with doomscrolling through awful headlines. The media is driving a lot of fears about these new strains. They're not good. But vaccinations will assist in enormous ways.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Agree, but Manaus is a really interesting case and the article was good. I don’t see that as doomsday posting

Comment

Agree, but Manaus is a really interesting case and the article was good. I don’t see that as doomsday posting
                      I admit I didn't read that article. I'm just tired of seeing super negative headlines on the J&J news, trying to tell us it's somehow bad news (it isn't).

The new strains are problematic, and super frustrating that the SA strain sneaks around current vaccines. But it isn't all bad - even a 50% efficacy halves the number of infections. And J&J reports a 100% reduction in death and enormous reduction in severity. This is outstanding news!

These are also only 1st generation vaccines. Once we're able to control the spread (which we should have been able to do via distancing and mask usage but yaknow...) the mutations will slow down significantly. And even if we need periodic boosters - it will finally become as rare and minor an issue as colds and flu.

Despite our best efforts, the end is truly in sight.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• The Manaus article explains the 4 possible reasons for what is happening, and it’s easy enough for non medical people to understand.

the terrifying part is in these Lower income nations, vaccine distribution may be an issue and it’s a race against time (even more so than in a place like the US)

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

(which we should have been able to do via distancing and mask usage but yaknow...)
                          Masks don’t work.

On a separate not why aren’t hospitals overwhelmed? Some “pandemic.”

Comment

The Manaus article explains the 4 possible reasons for what is happening, and it’s easy enough for non medical people to understand.

the terrifying part is in these Lower income nations, vaccine distribution may be an issue and it’s a race against time (even more so than in a place like the US)
                            Excellent article. Also to consider that until they start to get worldwide vaccine coverage there is more space for the virus to develop different variants and unless they stop the stratification of distribution here the affluent types are not going to have as many underlings to do the things they are too special to do themselves.
                            This is going to be with us for a long time. Unless you are living in a place that has intelligent response and ability to be isolated- island places, big travel restrictions- things are still going to be a roll of the dice.

Comment

• With out doom scrolling- which I have been pretty successful at avoiding- This whole mutation thing is scary. Anyone who understands mutation and either undertreating/mistreating infection is aware that infectious agents have been around a helluva lot longer than humans. They are adaptable and they are pretty good at survival. It takes a coherent, cohesive response to suppress spread. I wish I saw that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                With out doom scrolling- which I have been pretty successful at avoiding- This whole mutation thing is scary. Anyone who understands mutation and either undertreating/mistreating infection is aware that infectious agents have been around a helluva lot longer than humans. They are adaptable and they are pretty good at survival. It takes a coherent, cohesive response to suppress spread. I wish I saw that happening.
                                I think right now we’re basically at the same point we were a year ago. There are only a few confirmed cases of the South African variant and a few dozen instances of the UK variant, but given how unconnected the people are the real number must be in the thousands. I really can’t wrap my head round why we aren’t having a hard shutdown for at least a month.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X