Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    When You Let Jesus Take The Wheel

God tried to help you all...and you ignored him. Don't expect much sympathy when you reach the Pearly Gates.
    God helps those who help themselves.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• IIRC, Hovey's issue is that he thinks it's impractical and too police state-y to enforce mask mandates, crowd limitations, and closures of specific business sectors, even though he doesn't support people breaking the rules. He'd rather business owners choose to enforce things themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Can you summarize for us who can't read that?
        Community of 'real Heartland 'Mericans' goes largely mask free
        Lots of people start dying.
        Town council debates mask ordinance. Fines and jail terms for violating.
        Doctors and nurses offer their professional testimony, and real life experiences treating the sick and dying. Anti-maskers cry for their "freedums!!!"
        Mask ordinance passes, but all penalties for violating it stripped.
        People keep dying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          God tried to help you all
          "I sent you a boat!"
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Community of 'real Heartland 'Mericans' goes largely mask free
            Lots of people start dying.
            Town council debates mask ordinance. Fines and jail terms for violating.
            Doctors and nurses offer their professional testimony, and real life experiences treating the sick and dying. Anti-maskers cry for their "freedums!!!"
            Mask ordinance passes, but all penalties for violating it stripped.
            People keep dying.
            That's some good leadership there.
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              IIRC, Hovey's issue is that he thinks it's impractical and too police state-y to enforce mask mandates, crowd limitations, and closures of specific business sectors, even though he doesn't support people breaking the rules. He'd rather business owners choose to enforce things themselves.
              You're not terribly far off, although you mischaracterize it a bit.

I think that I should have the right to decide whether people must wear masks in my home or my place of business. But I don't want you to decide that for me.

I have no problem with the government declaring that in government owned or controlled buildings or facilities people must wear masks to enter. I have no problem with government encouraging people to wear masks everywhere and giving them information on the health benefits of doing so.

It's the same feeling that I have regarding the vaccines. I'm going to get the vaccine when it is offered to me. I have no problem with the government encouraging people to get it, or even requiring its own employees to get it. I haven't decided if I'll require my employees to get it as a condition of employment, but I should have that right (subject to the normal religious/disability exceptions).

But I don't think I get to decide whether you should have to get it, even though forcing you to get the vaccine (like forcing you to wear a mask or forcing you to avoid your family) will allegedly help decrease the spread of the disease and save lives.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                allegedly
                Just. Stop.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Just. Stop.
                  So I assume I you favor mandatory vaccination for everyone, whether they want it or not. Prosecution if you don't, because certainly the vaccine is going to allegedly work better than any face mask at stopping this spread.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• I will likely have no choice but to get the vaccine in order to be allowed to travel for work again, whenever that eventually resumes (Summer 2021?). I would get it anyway, even if I didn't think my employer will require it for business travelers. I suspect a negative test and proof of COVID-19 vaccination is going to be a requirement to enter a lot of foreign countries from the US for the first year or two after the borders are reopened.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I will likely have no choice but to get the vaccine in order to be allowed to travel for work again, whenever that eventually resumes (Summer 2021?). I would get it anyway, even if I didn't think my employer will require it for business travelers. I suspect a negative test and proof of COVID-19 vaccination is going to be a requirement to enter a lot of foreign countries from the US for the first year or two after the borders are reopened.
                      I think a majority of people (including me), when given the chance, will get the vaccine. I also think there will be a sizable number in your position who will have to get it because an employer requires it.

But I'm really interested in knowing where people on this board stand on the idea of compelled vaccination, under threat of some sort of state criminal sanction. People on this board are on my case because I'm troubled by other state compelled actions in the name of fighting the spread. Well, a vaccine has to be the most likely method of fighting the spread we'll see, so is everyone good with the idea that the state can compel it, because I'm not.

Comment

• Hovey in WWII: Government can't tell me to ration gas, rubber and silk. I don't care how many of our troops end up getting killed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Can you summarize for us who can't read that?
                          Its a story out of Mitchell, SD where the disease is running wild and still people refuse mask mandates and think crackpot theories are real. This as their friends are dying including civic leaders.
                          Last edited by Handyman; 12-09-2020, 05:39 PM.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            Anti mask protestors surrounding the homes of local county commissioner as they vote on masks.

remember when Rube was mad that Sanders had her meal interrupted in a restaurant? Good times

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...protest-homes/
                            Just saw a video of part of that protest- where the protesters were trying to break into the building holding the meeting. And when police came out to open the door to get people out- the "protestors" got physical with them, started pushing them around.

Yea, just like what happened to Sanders.

I just don't understand people sometimes. Government is SUPPOSED to pass laws because people are not willing to do the right thing to keep each other alive. Every single regulation out there that saves people's lives are based on that. This is just like making you wear a seat belt.

Yes, I DO think it's the government's job to make people wear masks when it will save peoples lives, and citizens don't do it.

Last I checked, we are required to get a number of vaccinations just for kids to go to school. There are exceptions, but that keeps the non vaccinators low enough to keep most diseases down. So I'm fine with various requirements for vaccines- school, travel, work..., etc.

The fact that this whole thing was made a massive political football is just an example that people can't be relied upon to do the right thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Just saw a video of part of that protest- where the protesters were trying to break into the building holding the meeting. And when police came out to open the door to get people out- the "protestors" got physical with them, started pushing them around.

Yea, just like what happened to Sanders.

I just don't understand people sometimes. Government is SUPPOSED to pass laws because people are not willing to do the right thing to keep each other alive. Every single regulation out there that saves people's lives are based on that. This is just like making you wear a seat belt.

Yes, I DO think it's the government's job to make people wear masks when it will save peoples lives, and citizens don't do it.

Last I checked, we are required to get a number of vaccinations just for kids to go to school. There are exceptions, but that keeps the non vaccinators low enough to keep most diseases down. So I'm fine with various requirements for vaccines- school, travel, work..., etc.

The fact that this whole thing was made a massive political football is just an example that people can't be relied upon to do the right thing.
                              Healthy people don't pass disease around, figure it out.

And masks cloth, surgical, ect. don't work in a public setting. That is what all the science said pre April/May 2020 said. Figure it out. They most likely spread disease the way they are used in a general public.

Comment

• I think if you choose to not be vaccinated fine...you move to the back of the line for care then. And you lose any right to complain if you are discriminated against for your stance. Schools can keep your kids out, businesses can fire you (with no option for public assistance) or block your patronage and so on. If you want to opt out of the social contract fine but then you lose all of the benefits.

Your freedoms font outweigh anyone else's. That is true for Jill Stein Anti-Vaxxers or Trumpublican ones.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X